Wiki Posts
Search

Do I need two power supply to run two ice chargers

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 01:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default Do I need two power supply to run two ice chargers

Hi, I am new to electric. I got two ice chargers but i only have one 20 amp power supply that I used to run my hudy tire truer. I am thinking about getting two competetion electroics 23A power supplys to power each ice charger. will there be any noticible gain in battery perfromance since it is running from a cleaner & overkill power source? People at my track told me that the rule of thumb is 2 amp reserve. so If I am charging 6 amp x2. 14 Amp is the minimum I need so 20 amp is more than enough.

I run two mono block amps to run each of my two speakers. It sounds cleaner than one two channel amps. Plus it looks good to have two HUGE mono blocks sitting next to your speakers Does the same rule apply to RC battery charging?

Is there any good power supply other than competition electronics 23A?
Thanks.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

To be honest all you need is 14-16amps for what you are pullling, so just one 20a power supply will be more than enough.

There is no real need to go to the two, it will just add weight and complexity to your pit setup.

However if you want it to look very special then go ahead and be unique. You might even start a new trend
Old 09-23-2006, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Don't waste your money on the CE power supply,

Get this one, I have two, one for chargers and one for all the other gizmo's
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv200.htm

You don't need a second power supply unless you try and charge two packs at the same time and fire up that tire truer as it will draw lots of amps at first and make your chargers go all fishy....At least that how it works when I use to try and fire up my Comm lathe while charging two packs...
Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><
Old 09-23-2006, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Don't waste your money on the CE power supply,

Get this one, I have two, one for chargers and one for all the other gizmo's
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv200.htm

You don't need a second power supply unless you try and charge two packs at the same time and fire up that tire truer as it will draw lots of amps at first and make your chargers go all fishy....At least that how it works when I use to try and fire up my Comm lathe while charging two packs...
Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><
WOW looks nice...only $54?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by straightaway
Hi, I am new to electric. I got two ice chargers but i only have one 20 amp power supply that I used to run my hudy tire truer. I am thinking about getting two competetion electroics 23A power supplys to power each ice charger. will there be any noticible gain in battery perfromance since it is running from a cleaner & overkill power source? People at my track told me that the rule of thumb is 2 amp reserve. so If I am charging 6 amp x2. 14 Amp is the minimum I need so 20 amp is more than enough.

I run two mono block amps to run each of my two speakers. It sounds cleaner than one two channel amps. Plus it looks good to have two HUGE mono blocks sitting next to your speakers Does the same rule apply to RC battery charging?

Is there any good power supply other than competition electronics 23A?
Thanks.
I would stay away from the CE Power supply, I have one and little things break, the on/off switch, screws that hold the power leads, etc. One 20 amp power supply is more than enough for your power needs, but I would consider carring two to races just in case one fails. I currently use the Much More 24amp power supply, what I like about it is the size and weight - very small and lite. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

You are fine with the 20a.... whenever charging add .5 amp to your charge current... I ran my T35 and Ice last night off my 13 amp without a problem...
Old 09-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

The Pyramid 20A is what I have. It is built like a tank. Also it is not RC specific so it is $65 instead of $115. I will get another one. I also have a tire warmer that I may run in addition to charging two packs at the same time.

Thanks for the replys.