Search

How to Tell if ESC is FRIED!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 05:12 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default How to Tell if ESC is FRIED!?

Went to my local track today and everything was going fine. Plugged in another battery and go out to have the car get hit and battery popped out. Pick up the car and smells like a motor frying. I couldn't imagine why since everything was wired in right. Unplug everything and looks like on of the cells on my battery called it quits as an edge was now black, left a nice burn on the 415's chassis, and smelled like the burning motor I had described.

However, before everything was unplugged, the car started to creep along like it was moving but the radio was turned off and so was the car. How does that happen? Put that with the battery issue and it was a bad day. Is my ESC done? How could I check? Anyone had this issue before? Car is off, but it still goes??? Ghost car?!?!?!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Hire an exorcist. Try running the motor on another car and esc and if it doesnt work, then the motor got fried. Then vice versa for the esc.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

You are shorting on the graphite.Check all of your battereis and make sure their is no metal spots showing.If their are and try to get some individual cell shrink wrap or use electrical tape for the time being on the spot.You probley just killed the battery(it smells like a fried motor).It could have turned into a major problem because your whole car could have went up in flames due to grafite being a semi conductor.You could of had a really bad day. The esc and everything else should be fine but the only way to check is run your car.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:57 PM
AWK
Tech Master

WOW thanks for the help. That batttery is toast....still smells over 4 hours later too.

Just tried the car and it ran for about a second then nothing.... I think the esc is toast since the servo won't even move now. Sometimes this hobby really gets to me....
Old 09-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Or maybe your reciever and servo broke too! :O

Sounds pretty dead to me. Never heard of a car moving while switched off, for that to happen the speedo must have gone totally wrong and somehow the switch bypassed. :S spooky.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

did you go to tamiya today?
Old 09-16-2006, 10:07 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Yep went to tamiya today. Wasn't a very good day at all.....

Looks like the servo is fried too. Luckily Novak and Futaba are close by, but thats about a $300 loss in one day. Looks like the 415 will be on the shelf a while. Sure glad my $40 receiver survived lol

Anyone had this happen?
Old 09-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have never had this type thing happen. It sounds crazy and I do not blame you for being ticked off. Just be carefull and not get so frustrated to quit. We don't want to lose a fellow hobbyist.
Go Fast
Old 09-17-2006, 12:05 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Oh trust me, if I quit over stuff like this, I would have quit a LONG time ago. I think everyone knows how something like this feels. Just costs a lot of time and money, and you feel dumb. It happened, and I am going to see what can and can't be fixed. I know Novak tends to have some good deals on replacement ESCs which is nice.

I will try to have a pic of the battery and chassis up tomorrow so people can see the damage.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, as far as I know you need 2 places where the cells are connected to the graphite (duh), and since your electronics is fried and the car was moving somewhat, can it be that there was something else hitting the metal parts on the car (who in their turn are screwed to the chassis and make a short).

Prolly something like that caused your whole electronics to fail (imagine an esc with soldering tabs against one of the bulkheads...). Strange about the servo though, you'd think if that died, the receiver died as well.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:57 AM
AWK
Tech Master

I would think that too, but I tested the receiver in another car and everything works, but when I then plug in the servo its a no go. Very wierd though I am still testing somethings to make absolutly sure whats broken and what isn't.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:07 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Here are a couple pics. Sorry for the poor quality.
Attached Thumbnails How to Tell if ESC is FRIED!?-1.jpg   How to Tell if ESC is FRIED!?-2.jpg  
Old 09-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Novak

I have seen advertised a complete 4.5 Novak Brushless system for 239.00 which should make your car fly if it had wings. My local hobby shop said they would install it and everything for $250.00 which is not bad if it lasts for a long time.
Gofastrlbrown
Old 09-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

If the case is orange, most likely it's burnt up.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:31 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Brushless is sweet and all, but I am running this car in a 19T class so that won't do me any good.

No orange cases or smoke, but it doesn't go anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.