Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by EddieO
That is not correct.....heavy springs give more RPM.....lighter springs give more torque.....

Later EddieO

I've just read about spring hardness effect on motor in Reedy's website.

Well it was written there that a softer spring will give higher RPM while harder springs give more torque.

Sorry to argue but what the hell, who is right and who is wrong now??????
Old 09-06-2006, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

LOL, nothing like a good can of worms....

I'm not 'arguing' with anyone, just putting forward my experiences, which also include having a car that lacked grunt out of hairpin corners, uprated the springs from Greens to Purples, and voila, lots more wallop out of the same corners.

I'm interested in everyones opinion, that's why I've also asked about recommendations for certain brushes etc (a guenuine question, not sacasm either), I'm prepared to put almost anyones suggestions into practice.

I have also tried the vertical and horizontal cuts etc, the vertical did give a little more torque, but the horizontal did not give any more RPM, as others suggested it would.

Skiddins
Old 09-06-2006, 06:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

yeah ive had the same experiance, i tried purple springs in my stock, gave me tones of torque and was still the fastest down the straight. Heaps of wear on the comm though.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
Where can I get a set of motor springs with different hardness in one pack???

How much would they normally cost???

Anyone???
Old 09-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

You can get them from us. E-mail me what you want and I will price it up for you.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Reedy site is not written by Mike Reedy. I actually once had a link where Sean Cochrane (now the current Reedy motor guy) said the opposite of the Reedy site. In the end, the website is wrong.

Skiddins, the Tekin Dyno may look like a load dyno, but its not designed right, so it often acts worse than a flywheel dyno. Some people have effectively tuned with them.....but its a lot of work.

Let me provide the shocker for ya.....I never take a dyno with me to the track.....its pointless. I can tell when a motor is a dog or not...

www.rccars.com under the Big Jim forum has plenty of useful information.....try reading up on it.

Often when you need to put a lighter or firmer spring on one side, you can simply just bend the springs to the correct tension. I would suggest getting a FiddleStick to measure spring tension.....they are on our site. www.teambrood.com

Later EddieO
Old 09-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

ea is the best tuner ever, just trust ea, on his advice, try it down,,, or better yet. but one green, purple, and red springs, then try each one. then try combining. "there is no convincing word but yours."