Wiki Posts
Search

JR XS3? Any opinions out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 10:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default JR XS3? Any opinions out there?

I'm planning on buying a new radio for my touring car. I was thinking about M8 and Futaba PJK but then I came across the new JR XS3, with the no crystal syntheizer.

If anyone has or know someone that have this radio, can I get an opinion on it. How's the speed compare to the other radios that I mentioned earlier.

Thanks.
Speedchair
Old 01-31-2003, 10:59 PM
Tech Regular

Crystals ain't that much of a pain. It doesn't have the features the M8 or a PK has. Get an M8, you'll be happier.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:04 PM
Tech Master

Speedchair, you might want to check out the new AIrtronics MX3, good radio with features, the only downfall I see to it is 3-model memory.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

The JR XS3 is going for appx $240 on the open market, and being on the budget, I feel the crystal issue is somewhat an issue.

Anyone know what Airtronics plans are for the M8. I saw their limited edition with Novak synth module and receiver. I wonder how much this unit will go for.

Speedchair
Old 02-01-2003, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The MX-3 has 3 channels and 5 model memory, the XS3 has 3 channels and 6 model memory.... Both have about the same parametes to adjust.... They have all the important adjustments, just not all the bells and whistles the M8 or Mars have.....
Old 02-01-2003, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Speed,

Having used all of the radios suggested, except the New XS3, which is really a XR3 ( which I own ) I can say that having no crystals is a big advantage if your racing. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to change xtals just to get practice, while the other guys with an M8 and switch just "tune" into one that is not being used. I am hoping JR is gonna release a module for my R1. Now the M8 is a great radio and has a ton of features, most of which many people do not use, much like the features on the 3pk,Mars or R1. Either way you go, you will get a high quality radio. If you can, don't overlook comfort, pick up each radio and feel it in your hands, I think that will tell ya which one you should buy. Now here is my biased opinion, the M8 with a switch is the way to go.

my .02

Now, I did not suggest the Hitec 3d because 4 people I know, that have had that radio, all of them have had the case crack. Hitec has replaced them all for free, but it is just a hassle.

Last edited by TimPotter; 02-01-2003 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:35 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

SpeedChair: I own a Lynx 3D with the spectra module, and believe me, it does matter that you don't have crystals. Not just that you don't have to worry about conflicts, but that its so easy to make the change. It just takes a turn of a dial and in the case of the new Jr radio, accessing the channel function in the radios menu.

Don't waste your time thinking about buying the M8 then buying novaks module. That module ALONE goes for $100+. That makes for an insanely expensive radio package, and you would still want to have the dialable reciever, which would mean another $100.

The JR XS3 would be a good choice if you want to go crystaless. The only people who don't think its a big deal to not have to use crystals, are people who already have $100+ worth of crystals in their pit box.

The Lynx 3D w/spectra and Novak XXtra combo package is also a good deal to consider. And yes, HiTec has taken care of the cracking problems.

Last edited by Darkseid; 02-01-2003 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

I appreciate all the great feedbacks on this thread. It's a great help getting answers from all of you. This is one of the most awesome hobbies, and researching and meeting other people are another benefit of this hobby.

SpeedChair
Old 02-01-2003, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Speedchair, The XS3 is sitting on my dining roomtable and will be used tomorrow all day a our race. I'll dial it in in the morning.

It is very light, slim in design, feels very well balanced front to back and you can dial in the frequency on digitally on the radio.

Ergonomics are very good. menus and are easy to navigate and its intuitive to use.

Some fast features:

No RF signal output when changing frequencies. In other words-you can change frequency with radio ON-but not glitch anybody!!!

Has EPA, Dual Rate, 3-channels, 6 model memory and direct access whilke driving for dual rate and brake endpoint adjustment (a biggie in gas racing!!!).

Fast frame rate for digital servos.

I cannot confirm this last one-but it feels like the spring on the steering wheel gets proggressively stiffer at the endpoints.

My other radio is a R1-so i am putting up against the best of the best!!!

All can speak for his ergonmics today. Tomorow I'll know how it "feels" while racing!!!

Ray

Last edited by rayhuang; 02-02-2003 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ray don't you mean SX3 and not MX3... the Mx is an airtronics
Old 02-01-2003, 05:03 PM
Tech Champion

Impactplayer-thanks!! I corrected it!!!
Old 02-02-2003, 05:36 PM
Tech Champion

Default Very good Radio!!

Okay guys,

This is what I found out today. I ran the radio in my 19 turn Tc3. my previous best in 19 turn on this layout with my R1 was a 26 5:00. Not that this was all radio-but it didnt hurt, I did a 27 5:03 for TQ and won the A. I found the radio to be different feeling than my R1, but not bad. IN a nutshell, it has a shorter throw on the wheel lock to lock. It feels faster in reaction time to my R1-but I doubt it. Just new-maybe. I did the heats in Normal mode and the main in fast mode (for digital servos) and it felt even better in fast mode. I'm leaving it there. I ran my R1 in 12th scale and appreciated how much lighter the Xs3 is. My initial feeling is-I really like the radio. i think its easy to use. I made changes all day on it and never picked up the manual.

Ray
Old 02-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have only heard good things about this radio, a friend of mine who works at the lhs ordered 20 of them, he said and they have sold a good amount of them in a short amount of time to the local racers he got one as well and is pleased with it.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:52 PM
Ty
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

How big is the receiver it comes with compared to an Airtronics micro receiver or Novak XXL? Also does anyone know how much it weighs compared to the others?

-Thanks
Old 02-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Smile

I'm getting really exited about this radio....does anyone know if this radio comes with nicad or not? DSC cord?

Thanks.
Speedchair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.