Wiki Posts
Search

Help.. Building indoor track

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:10 AM
Tech Regular

Default Help.. Building indoor track

Hi

I started working to build an indoor track and I have the place to do it but im not sure if the space i have is enough.

232 square metre is the space I have.

If this place is enough, Please give me any tips on the layouts and the width of the track (each road).
Old 08-30-2006, 01:23 AM
Tech Elite

Assuming it is a nice rectangular shape it should be enough space to build a track.

I would go for lanes of around 3m wide on the fast sections and down to 2 metres wide in the twisties.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:46 AM
Tech Regular

VERY HELPFUL ... !! THANK YOU

MORE TIPS PLZ
Old 08-30-2006, 02:09 AM
Tech Adept

well i have some tips regarding the boardings.

i live in the netherlands and my local circuit is like 5 min walking distance. what i can tell you about the boarding there is that it sucks. constantly people kiss the boarding and crash on the other side. its like when you are in a highspeed corner kiss the inside and lose balance and crash into the opposite boarding... not good for your car. what we have there is some kind of plastic tubes filled with gravel of small stones. its on every place on the track, every corner.
butt this is outdoor, thats why it needs to be so solid...
indoor i reccomend to use little hard boardings and rather some different types of materials. there is a track down here a couple miles away that has done a great job building a track in an empty office somewhere in a industrial place...

some Musts:
the straight Must have hard boardings! you dont want to slam your car full throttle to another piece of the track where you drive in opposite direction!
try to ad some variation like highspeed corners with apex and also some chicanes and tricky corners cobined with a med to long straight combined with a highspeed corner in front.
again about the boarding, the track i was talking about, has differend type of carpet for the track than for the places inbetween the track. this kind of carpet is really slippery for some strange reason and it makes it real realistic that if you just barely touch it you loose grip and spin just like when you hit the gras in your 1:1 car, if your racing it
also apex aint good at all times! if you have a apex in a chicane just in front of the straight sometimes if you steer Just a little bit wrong and if you give your usual fullthrottle you slam it over the apex and launch it somewhere to a wall or in the pits.
i still stick on the boarding, whil typing i thinked of loosend boardings, like the tubes on my local club but then not filled with stones but just firmly attached to the ground like If you hit it you bounce back a little so you wont damage your car...
also remember that there should be place for the marshalls.
oh and uhm, blue tracks are cool

GL!!!

Mark
Old 08-30-2006, 04:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think I might be missing something... (sorry, I have to convert meters to square feet and back again. :-) )
you say you have 232 square meters (2497sf). Our track itself is 18M (60ft) long and 11m (36ft) Wide. That's 198 square meters just for the track. If you have a driving stand that is 1m x 8m your at 206.

That doesn't leave a whole lot of space for pitting. We had kinda the same problem when we built our track. It's in some warehouse space that is 372 square meters. 90% of our pitting is built in "lofts" that are above the drivers stand and above the track. This has worked out, but we've spent quite a bit of money on lumber to build these lofts (there are 2 of them). If I were to do it over, I'd be looking for space around 465 square meters.

I can take some pictures and send them if you like. Were in the process of extending one of the lofts to accomodate more racers. The lofts are bad, but you do have to drag your stuff up and down the stairs.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Can you please send me the pics on my email: [email protected]
Old 08-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks MARK
Old 08-31-2006, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

perfectionism strikes :P