Search

What diff do you use and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default What diff do you use and why?

Hi there
Tell us what diff you use , do you use a Diff, One way or a spool. What car do you use and on what surface do you use it.What type of grip is your track.

I use a one Way in my 415 MSX on a Ashphalt high speed out door surface.With a good grip surface.
Addam
Old 12-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Yokomo LCG and BD... have one-ways in both of them running stock 27T, and 19T spec at an flowing indoor asphalt track. grip is medium.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

I'll use any diff that floats my boat....

Really, the front 'diff' is a tuning option.Use any of the 3 options out there to gain you the fastest consistent lap times will the best option.

Currently using a spool in the MRE for obvious reasons (Haven't got the front one-way yet)....
Old 12-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRFMAD
Hi there
Tell us what diff you use , do you use a Diff, One way or a spool. What car do you use and on what surface do you use it.What type of grip is your track.

I use a one Way in my 415 MSX on a Ashphalt high speed out door surface.With a good grip surface.
Addam
One comment I have about this topic is that I had to progress from using a diff to a spool AND a spool to a one-way. I would equate it to my going from Novice to Sportsman to Expert classes over the past three years.

Progressing from the diff to the spool was easy. Someone told me to tighten up my diff (over a period of time) until it was effectively like a spool.

Unlike a one-way, the diff and spool setups offer more off-power braking action. That braking action can be more assuring to up-and-coming drivers.

Practicing (alone) with a one-way is one thing; but, racing with one in traffic is a vastly different experience. You have to give yourself some time to get used to close racing with the one-way.

Back to your question...I use a one-way on my asphalt and carpet RDXs on rubber tires whenever I can...From high speed asphalt tracks to fairly small (but flowing) carpet tracks.

FYI...I still specialize in TC Expert Stock (rubber); but, can run foam tires in major races. None of what I have said is directed to foam tire setups.

Bill
Old 12-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Losi JRX-S, stock foam, carpet, diff with the heavy losi brown grease, large or small track doesn't seem to matter. I am tempted to try the spool at my home track to guage steering and pull out of the corner.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:34 AM
B3x
Tech Adept

When do you use a center one way such as on the TA05.
Do you use it by itself, or combined with diff, frt one way, spool?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

T2'007, front oneway, medium grip carpet, stock and 19T. The comment about running a oneway in traffic is true. But if your car is properly setup you can use light to medium braking to checkup when you need to without upsetting the car. You'll be out front so it won't matter much.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

EU'007 rubber,carpet,oneway..... The car tracks so straight i can brake fairly hard in a straight line without loosing the back end... My brakes are set to 100% on the transmitter.