Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quasar pro

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Default Quasar pro

hi every one, just became the proud owner of a Quasar Pro, only have to figure out what the best way will be to get the max out of my 2400's. Anyone/anything would be really helpful
pm or email me [email protected]
Old 01-15-2003, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Default the max out of my 2400's

fomoco90;

No real secrets here. Charge your practice packs the night before and your race packs at the Track only. Charge at a minimum of 5amps with the highest threshold settings. For Stock racing you may want to go as high as 6.5amps depending on the quality of your packs. If you are NOT racing or using UN-matched packs, then keep the charge rate between 4 & 5amps.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You NEVER EVER want to charge packs the night before. Even if the facility/track has no power, you can still charge earlier in the morning/day, even a few hours before you arrive at the track. Leaving a charge in a pack(s) that long doesn't help your cause, yes you can repeak, but the packs will be very flat. Again, I would not adivse that course of action.

Last edited by Fred Hubbard; 01-15-2003 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

hi popsracer,

Thanks in replying but what ARE the treshold settings that would best suit these 2400's?? Are we talking delta peak? cut off?
Heck I dunno, my first charger only had one button and a knob, just push et voilą!! But now, whoepsie daisy!!! Other stuff

fhubbard, thanks for your tip was doing it, how it's not to be done.
That's why all the others charge the moment they arrive? And I thought I was smart,saving some time
Thx guys, if you have more let them come,PLEASE
If possible specific for the QP
THX
Old 01-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Default Quasar pro

fhubbard;

NEVER EVER want to charge packs the night before.
Charge your practice packs the night before and your race packs at the Track only.
There really isn't any reason to charge your practice packs at the track unless you just have to. ALWAYS charge your race packs at the track. The closer you peak to your heat the better. The Internal Resistance of the cells goes up as they sit (hour or more)after being charged so they are flat during discharge.

fomoco90;

When you get to the threshold setting just push the button until the display is maxed out. Set the Cell type to NiCd, the # of Cells to 6, Try 5.0 amps charge, 20 a discharge (if you use it) and the threshold increase it to the Max (120-160mv)
Old 01-16-2003, 03:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default THX

Thanks pop's (wanted to do that for a long time)

Will let you know if it works well.

Do keep them coming, even the bad things, butu positive ones about the charger are better.
I read that the first ones were/had a bit of problems??
Old 01-16-2003, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Quasar pro

You want to always charge your PRACTICE packs and your RACE packs at the track. ALWAYS popsracer...
Originally posted by popsracer
fhubbard;

There really isn't any reason to charge your practice packs at the track unless you just have to. ALWAYS charge your race packs at the track. The closer you peak to your heat the better. The Internal Resistance of the cells goes up as they sit (hour or more)after being charged so they are flat during discharge.

fomoco90;

When you get to the threshold setting just push the button until the display is maxed out. Set the Cell type to NiCd, the # of Cells to 6, Try 5.0 amps charge, 20 a discharge (if you use it) and the threshold increase it to the Max (120-160mv)
Old 01-16-2003, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

pops.....you mentioned that a pack will run flat if it sits too long; why would you want to practice with flat packs? You should always practice with conditions equal to how you race.

fom...I have a Quasar Pro, I use the default peak settings for NiCad and NiMH and charge at 5 amps. I try to time it so my packs are charged 5-10 min before my race, then peak them once 2-3 min before.

Last edited by BBSpence; 01-16-2003 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Exactly BBSpence, you beat me to it, I was just going to tell Pops, that you always practice the way you intend to play the game. This comes from a person who grew up in a basketball family and has played college basketball. Which is what any coach will tell you. Pops the idea of practice is two-fold, 1) to learn the fastest line around the track, and 2) to tune your car (suspension setup and motor setup) to as close as possible to actual race speed. There is NO WAY that you can get valuable data from packs (Practice or race) that have been charged the night before, the car doesn't perform the same. If you took a poll of drivers who charge the night before and those who charge at the track, I guarantee you that 9 out of 10 drivers charge at that track. I would be willing to bet you that the 1% of drivers that charge the night before are either new to the sport or have been misinformed.

Last edited by Fred Hubbard; 01-16-2003 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default It all boils down to time available

Battery Experts;

I USED to charge my practice packs at the track but with myself being responsible for 4-5 cars at my pit table, time becomes precious. (at least 2 myself and 1 each for my sons)
I MAY only have time to run just one pack in practice and a freshly charged pack will NOT make the car handle any differently and winning the drag race down the back straight doesn't win the race. AND, would you recommend charging your Radio batteries at the track ALSO? Again, because of time constraints it really doesn't make sense.
Charge your practice packs the night before and your race packs at the Track only
MEANING: to charge your RACE packs at the track only.

fomoco90;

If you have the time to charge practice packs at the track then go ahead, it's not going to hurt. Just trying to give you some options but some people like to argue over everything.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

On the Quasar Pro:

5 - 6A charge and 12mv (or 72mv for 6-Cell pack) works well on the Sanyo 2400's ,3000HV's, and 3300's.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Don't confuse me for you. Don't get defensive on us, some of us believe in giving advice that will actually help others improve, not shoot themselves in the foot...
Old 01-16-2003, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default hey guys, cool down

I was just asking EVERY body some advise and Not to argue what Is/would be /will be THE best charging method, I'm 32 years young now how to go to the toilet by myself and will get a bit from everybody, but I'm having so much fun with this thread, don't mind me ,just go ahead an ddo keep it polite
be good to each other, you only live once
Keep 'em coming
thx to all in replying,
will post in a better and more decent manner when...... tha hangover has gone, LOL
Old 01-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

correct me if i'm wrong but the optimum period for charging is about 2 hours before you race, that way there is not that long for the packs to discharge themselves and also the internal resistance will have dropped because the pack has cooled down.

just my 2 penceworth.

sanj

battery charging info: http://www.schumacher.clara.net/charging.htm

although no real info on rates on there, i'll add that

sanj
Old 01-16-2003, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Default just my 2 penceworth.

schumacher;

I may be wrong but it has always been my belief that a charged pack has it's lowest IR immediately after being charged and that the IR increases as the pack cools down. This is the reason a pack charged the evening before will be flat.

This is also how some people are getting more punch out of their NiMh packs, by charging at higher amp rates (7+) and at NiCd thresholds so the packs are actually VERY warm even hot when they come off the charger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.