Community
Wiki Posts
Search

411 on Tire Warmers

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Tech Addict

Default 411 on Tire Warmers

I have them, but dont know how hot to get the tires.

What are the rules? or Guide lines? Temps to use on it.

Rears hotter than the fronts?

Last edited by JohnMatrix; 06-16-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Been using a belt type warmers with no temp control for a year now. I just plug it on my power supply (12 volts) the heat before for 4 minutes and unplug it and leave the warmers until I go out and race.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Tech Regular

What type of tyre warmers are you using? I too had tyre warmers with no temp control, they were cup style which I would just plug into the psu five minutes before a run. I don't think you need to regulate the temp between the front and rear tyres.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Tech Addict

Much More IC Controlled
Old 06-16-2006, 02:51 AM
Tech Initiate

I also recently got the much more IC controlled ones. I've only used them once for a race day. I'd say it depends what tires you're using and how long you stand on the grid before the race starts. I use Tamiya's B3s and take mine up to between 50 and 55 degC
I think 55 is a bit too hot tho so next time I'll try more in the 50 range and see how that works
From experimentation I've found that standing still, the tires lose about 10 degC in the first minute they're out the warmers and 5 degC the 2nd minute.
Hope that helps, but I'd also like to hear what others have found.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JohnMatrix
Much More IC Controlled
For the reedy I only had my tire's at 50 degrees. For the nats I didn't really use the warmers. When we race Ripon I'm going back to 50 degrees
Old 06-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
For the reedy I only had my tire's at 50 degrees. For the nats I didn't really use the warmers. When we race Ripon I'm going back to 50 degrees
clint.. was this with the RP36s that you set up to 50deg. C? good thread nick...

Old 06-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Tech Addict

Anyone else?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For me i've found using the warmers to bake the additive into the tires before the run works best. Tire temp as they hit the grid isnt vitally important IMO.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've never really been a fan of tires warmers but at the recent On-Road nats they seemed to make a big difference. I think for club level racing, it's too much equipment to lug around. These days you need an 8 foot pit area just to cram everything in. I also think the advances in heat control are also a plus. Long gone are the days of just cooking your tires to what you think feels right. I have the Much-More CTX-W and love them. Just don't think I'll bring them to smaller club level events.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

MM IC controlled Q:

1. any of you guys used an internal battery on this? how long does a 3000nimh pack last when used continously?

2. when charging the internal battery, i must DISCONNECT the unit from the power supply, right?

thanks for any info
Old 06-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

to get the best handling car from the start to finish of a race, run a heat without tire warmers, after your heat temp. your rubber and temp the track surface. record both numbers. before the next race try to get as close to the rubbers temp after your race with the tires warmers on. this is the ideal tire temp, remember to record how long it takes to reach these temps. to much heat will change the characteristics of the rubber and the handling of the car. but remember as the temp. of the track increases or decreases so will the rubber temps. record your findings for all temps, tire compunds and track surfaces and this will give you the optimum traction. same as the big boys, its all in the data.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Kerry....all of this wasted knowledge......GET OUT AND RACE!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

My $.02 from owning two different MM tire warmers.

First I purchsed the MM warmer cups and single temp control unit, cost a little under $100 for the whole setup. Unit worked awesome, all the cups are fed off one temp controller and you install the temp probe in one of the four cups. I was worried the cups would not keep all the tires the same temp with it only have one temp probe. However I tested the temp with my infrared gun a couple times and all the tires were within 1-2 C.

Next I sold these and purchased the CTX-W I controlled tire warmers, approx $200. They come as a complete unit, fed off a DC 12v supply or internal installed stick pack. This unit is WAY slick. I was thinking the only advantage would be the control of each tire temp individually. However it has all kinds of need programming you can do with the IC portion. The other thing that was very rewarding was the warm up time was half of the other unit. The cups got the tires to the desired temp MUCH faster with the IC unit.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marvi
2. when charging the internal battery, i must DISCONNECT the unit from the power supply, right?
It has a switch on the front that you flip when charging the pack inside the unit. Not sure if you still have to disconnect it from the main DC source. I'm sure the manual covers this but I don't have it handy at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.