Wiki Posts
Search

How you dispose your old batteries/ batery packs

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default How you dispose your old batteries/ batery packs

After using batteries for a long time, they tend to lost capacity adn increase in resistant, by replace them with new. old batteries/ pacls would be toss away.

howeverm batteries are item contain dangerous chemical that should be send back for "recycle" instead of random disposal. Where do people sent in their batteries, battery packs (sub-C, C cell, AAA, AA....) ?

I live in U.S.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

You can take them to your local Radio Shack or Home Depot and they will have a box for recycled batteries. I've taken hundreds of cells to them. You get some funny looks as your dumping them in the box if you have as many as I did last time, but none the less your doing something good for the environment.....
Old 05-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You give them to younger racers or sell them on ebay. J/k.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:43 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You should definately recycle your batteries. They can recover a lot of the metals and chemicals from inside your batteries to make new products.

Go to http://www.rbrc.org/ to find a recycling center near you. They'll have a drop box setup. You can also talk to your hobby shop about this, I beleive that this is free for businesses to setup a drop box - so you can at least suggest they check into it!
Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You can drop them off at a Batteries Plus store if there's one in your area. To find out, just search your zip @ www.batteriesplus.com

Oh, FYI- alkaline batteries and almost all disposables don't affect the environment and can be thrown into the trash. The main ones to worry about are rechargables.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Tech Adept

I usually sell them before they reach that point so I don't have to worry about it.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Iceracer
correct!! give your junk to someone else!!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Iceracer

Ditto
Old 05-31-2006, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I heard that you could take them to gas stations and they could take care of them there, too. I took a few packs to a Marathon station and asked if they recycled batteries, and the dumbshit behind the counter just looked at me all cockey and said "dude just throw them in the trash", to which I replied, "... and that's why you'll be working here for a very, very long time."
Old 05-31-2006, 07:06 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Batteries Plus or Radio Shack is where I've taken mine.

Theres bound to be one of those near just about everybody.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

have a bon-fire
Old 05-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

I take any battery pack... you never know when it can go to good use... my friends regularly bring me packs that are almost dead... I use them to at least warm up my tyres on the track...
Old 05-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Every Best Buy has a recycle box at the front door for rechargeable battery returns. However, I've often wondered if they might have a problem with a side by side pack - the boxes are meant for typical sealed nicads/nimh, where you couldn't short contacts together. If you have ever accidently shorted a side by side with a metal screwdriver, you know much heat these can generate in mere seconds (yes, I have the burn mark of a hex wrench to prove it) - even if they don't have much of a charge in them. Best Buy + RC battery = Fire?? When I dump my packs in the box I make sure to run a wrap of electrical tape around the pack to cover the cell ends to prevent a short circuit mishap.

Every RC line hobby store should have a green recycle box - Nicads are mandatory recycling (cadnium health hazard), whereas NiMh are not, but still should be recycled.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:09 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver
Every Best Buy has a recycle box at the front door for rechargeable battery returns. However, I've often wondered if they might have a problem with a side by side pack - the boxes are meant for typical sealed nicads/nimh, where you couldn't short contacts together. If you have ever accidently shorted a side by side with a metal screwdriver, you know much heat these can generate in mere seconds (yes, I have the burn mark of a hex wrench to prove it) - even if they don't have much of a charge in them. Best Buy + RC battery = Fire?? When I dump my packs in the box I make sure to run a wrap of electrical tape around the pack to cover the cell ends to prevent a short circuit mishap.

Every RC line hobby store should have a green recycle box - Nicads are mandatory recycling (cadnium health hazard), whereas NiMh are not, but still should be recycled.
Dave, I think that RBRC has new boxes that have a battery bag dispenser on them. I've seen them before at least. Otherwise either putting tape on them, or putting them in a sandwich bag is fine from what I have read.

Does Trackside have a battery box? I don't think I've ever seen one.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

TSR6 - last one I saw at Trackside was quite some time ago - definitely when he was at the GB Ave location, don't recall one since then. I will mention it to him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.