Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Possessed R/C Car !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 06:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy A Possessed R/C Car !!!

Hi, I am a newbie in the world of R/C Cars and recently put together my forst electric kit, it was a Tamiya Porsche GT3. However something strange happened the other day when i inserted the cell for the first time.

As soon as I plugged in my 7.2 v cell the motor started running and the wheels started to turn like crazy. The on/off switch in the car had no effect and neither did my 2 channel Futaba radio. I couldnt put the car on the floor beacuse it raced off and hit the wall. I had NO control, it was as if the car was possessed.

Can anyone tell me what could be causing this ? a faulty servo ? receiver or switch ? or is it something that I've done wrong?

Your help would be so much appreciated

Thanks
Old 01-06-2003, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you are using the included mechanical speed controler that could be the problem. To fix that you have to disconnect the motor wires and set the throtle trim on your radio.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:24 AM
Tech Rookie

you may want to check if your motor leads are hooked up right,
check to see if your throttle setting is correct on you raido, or
check to see if our esc is set right
Old 01-06-2003, 07:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Throttle settings !

Thanks for the advice guys, and excuse the ignorance, but
"How can I adjust the throttle settings/trim on the radio? once I disconnect the motor?"

Is there some schematic/instructions I can look at/read?
my original instructions were in japanese and so I built the car up by looking at the pictures soo I may have wired up the motor wrong or something?

If it helps, the chassis I am working with is a TA-02SW chassis
Old 01-06-2003, 07:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Default esc

Bob,

What is the esc ? how can I check this.... ! Sorry again for my ignorance!

Iladio
Old 01-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The esc is for electronic speed control....

Are you using the speed control included in the kit? This is a msc or manual speed control.......
The speed control is the piece that is connected to your motor via wires

I'll am assuming you are using the msc, start by disconnecting the wires to the motor.

Next disconnect the arm attached to your servo.

Set the speedo control so tht the arm is directly in the center of the resistors (see attached pic )

Now look at your radio, there shoud be 2 little nobs one saying st. trim or steering trim. the other saying th. trim or throttle trim. We want to work with the throttle trim knob.

Set the knod so it is as close to centered at possible. Now turn on your radio and car.

Place the arm that was attached to your servo back on and making sure the arm is as close to parallel with the speed control arm as possible.

Now adjust you throttle trim to get the speed control as close to centered as posssible.

Turn everything off!

Reconnect the motor wires.

Set the car on something so that the wheels are not hitting anything or better yet remove the wheels totally.

Now turn the radio on and then the car (always turn the radio on before the car)

If the motor spins adjust the throttle trim knob until the motor stops spinning......

your throttle is set!!

See next post for setting your steering...
Attached Thumbnails A Possessed R/C Car !!!-msc.jpg  
Old 01-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

OK now that your throttle is se properly let's get that car steering straight!!

first disconnect the servo saver from the steering servo,

Now set your steering trim knob on yur radio as close to centered as possible.

turn your radio and the the car on.....

Now place the servo saver back on the servo as close to perfectly verticle as possible. (see attached pic)

adjust the steering trim so that the servo saver is vertical

place the car on the ground and drive it away from you slowly and adjust the steering trim until it drives perfectly straight.

Your done, now you can play!!!!

Remember------

these settings may need adjusted periodically.

ALWAYS turn the radio on before the car

Always turn the radio off after the car

with a manual speed control the only way to turn your car off is to disconnect the battery, the switch turns your reciever off which is a BAD thing

when the car slows dramatically stop running it and disconnect the battery, if you run the battery down too low the reciever will loose it's signal and the servos will stay where they where when it recieved the last signal. which could mean your car will keep running.

replace your radio batteries as soon as they show signs of weakening, agian if the batteries are too weak you will loose signal and the servos will stay inthe last position they where in when it had it's last signal.... in thos case it could be wide open throttle!!!

Have fun!! the MSC could serve you for many months to come as long as you keep it clean!!!
Attached Thumbnails A Possessed R/C Car !!!-servo.jpg  
Old 01-06-2003, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool i would just like to add

stay with it man don't lose ur kool, I had some problems with mine when i first built and I thought I was never going to get it but I stuck with it and drives awesome and they are so much fun

ciao for now
Blain
Old 01-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile A Big Thanks - The Possessed car has been Exorcised.... Well almost...!

Thanks IMPACTPLAYR for some great instructions, and everyone else.

The servo is indeed a fiddly old thing, I am using the speed control included in the kit. ( msc ). I followed the insturctions and played around with the speedo control a bit and sure enough soon, I managed to set the throttle trim and adjust the speedo.

I Havent quite adjusted the steering yet, but I am working on it now that I know how!

THANKS again for all the great help !

I