Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Indoor Champs 2006

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Default US Indoor Champs 2006

Yes it is time for us to start updating the mailing list for year 27 of the US INDOOR CHAMPS comiing to the Holiday Inn 6001 rockside rd. Cleveland,oh Nov.22 to the 26 2006. If you have changed your home address or you want be on the mailing list please send your home mailing address to [email protected] or 3410 mapledale ave. Cleveland, OH, or if you have any question about the race.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default US Indoor Champs 2006

I can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best event ever.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Second to none!
Old 05-03-2006, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

There's a reason it's the longest connsecutively running event in R/C!! Great organization, staff and track crew, the model for all other "BIG" races. Now if they could just find someone decent to replace that long-haired, loudmouthed announcer, they'd be perfect
Old 05-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

The Indoor Champs is one of the most competitve races I go to every year. Ian you do a great job of anouncing and do your best when you are on the MIC. I do understand it is a thankless job and I cannot wait to be there again this year.

One observation during practice how about the Announcers call out some lap times and a little traffic. Everyone is getting tired of HEARING the free T-Shirt-bring me a BEER routine. We are there to race and everyone needs to remember the guy who pays his way and not the sponsered guy. I think with a little help calling traffic during Practice it would help the faster and slower guys get along during the heats.

MY
.00000000002 cents.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by windix60
One observation during practice how about the Announcers call out some lap times and a little traffic. Everyone is getting tired of HEARING the free T-Shirt-bring me a BEER routine.
Amen
Old 05-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bobby Flack
Amen
Thanks windix60.

And Bobby you're a factory driver, put Drew to work on the stopwatch!!!

I try to abstain from any undo soliciting while on the Mic. I never request a T-shirt, batteries, or any other swag, as I feel that's less than professional. I do however become parched during the late Thursday night session, and will occasionally request beverage, adult or otherwise, since I can really only escape from the scoring tower for the occasional smoke. During the first round of the weekend we're usually fixing any frequency issues, doing personal transponder updates, etc. so the computer is usually occupied. The last round on Thursday is generally when Final Adjustments are made to the heat boards etc. so the computer may or may not be available for lap times at that point either. At this point I'd like to thank Mike for staying up for the duration of the Thursday night session this past year. He made it way easier for me to maintain conciousness I'm not as young as I used to be......

That being said, I will make a concerted effort to call more lap times during said sessions this year, and as always I welcome constructive criticism as it helps me elevate my game.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Arrow falling behind

this race was a great race, before others started raising the bar. that's why it's been around so long. when you compare it to the other big us indoor carpet races of late, it is lacking the following:

- trackside pitting. i don't care about the room expense, i hate pitting four floors away from the action.
- internet coverage. without dirla (rc50.com) there would have been none to date.
- proper tech crew. need i elaborate on this one?

don't get me wrong, i appreciate those who have contributed in past years, but if these issues aren't soon addressed, the cleveland will be a thing of the past. this year, my money went for vegas. whether or not i find more for cleveland will highly depend on the above.

- trenton mcpherson -
Old 05-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cypress this comment is not directed at you personally. You do try to cater to the racers needs.
Its that if we put a poll on the website asking would you rather hear Lap times or silence or Crickets chirping, or blabber that does not pertain to nothing. I think the Order would go just as I wrote.

Thanks fella and seeya at the race.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by seaball
this race was a great race, before others started raising the bar. that's why it's been around so long. when you compare it to the other big us indoor carpet races of late, it is lacking the following:

- trackside pitting. i don't care about the room expense, i hate pitting four floors away from the action.
- internet coverage. without dirla (rc50.com) there would have been none to date.
- proper tech crew. need i elaborate on this one?

don't get me wrong, i appreciate those who have contributed in past years, but if these issues aren't soon addressed, the cleveland will be a thing of the past. this year, my money went for vegas. whether or not i find more for cleveland will highly depend on the above.

- trenton mcpherson -
seaball: I agree on tech inspection, I remember the glory days (pre-touring car), when tech was enforced as if we were racing F-1, and I'd like to get back to that level. Hopefully improvements can be made on that front. It has been discussed, along with an awards ceremony, and I of course suggested trophy "presenters" if ya know what I mean......

web presence: We just don't have an internet guru to run a live results site for us. The guys that run these sites can only cover so many races a year, I mean many of them have ACTUAL JOBS!! Unfortunately, since the race is over Thanksgiving we don't see people rushing in just to cover the event, as they don't wanna give up their holiday just to go cover it. They have to spend some time with their families......

trackside pitting: I personally prefer pitting in my room. It keeps the noise down significantly in the ballroom, which makes it more pleasant for me as a race official as well. I know that for the pranksters it makes it more difficult to access your intended targets, but there are a dozen races during the season where you're pitting by the track, and I think rolling back to the room to watch TV, or listen to some tunes while you're working on your gear is pretty cool. Maybe it's just me......
Old 05-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Cypress this comment is not directed at you personally. You do try to cater to the racers needs.
Its that if we put a poll on the website asking would you rather hear Lap times or silence or Crickets chirping, or blabber that does not pertain to nothing. I think the Order would go just as I wrote.

Thanks fella and seeya at the race.

No offense taken, and I agree that lap times are a priority. You will have to forgive me for taking shots at long-time racers while I'm on the mic though, (especially Barry ), as practice for the racers, also happens to be my warm-up for the weekend, and I try to get my digs in early so it doesn't interfere with my calling of the races later in the weekend. We're all there to have fun and part of the fun for me is being able to burn guys I only get to see a few times a year LOL!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Default Deciding whether to do Cleveland or not

Cypress this comment is not directed at you personally.

I don't know about others, but if the other announcers (i.e., other than Ian - who I think is great) are still going to announce this year, I will not be attending.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by barrys
I don't know about others, but if the other announcers (i.e., other than Ian - who I think is great) are still going to announce this year, I will not be attending.
Mike and Jon do a pretty good job imho. Jonny called some mains last year that I thought were fantastic. He was on point as far as calling the action, and he did a great job with lap times as well. I didn't get to hear Mike call a whole lot this year as it seemed he was my relief announcer whenever it was time for me to sleep or eat. I'll let Mr. Bill know about the issues you guys have brought up and we'll try to improve.

If anybody has any suggestions PM me and I'll see what I can do.

I've been to all the biggies but Vegas, and Cleveland is still my FAVORITE race of all. There's just something about it you don't get anywhere else, and I wanna do whatever it takes to keep it going STRONG.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You've been to the Novak, Ian?

I can't wait for this year's race. I'm always pumped for Cleveland.

I have two suggestions for the race. One would be for practice (particularly for stock TC and stock 12th), to not only call laptimes but to attempt to call traffic. Often times there are heats that have a few fast guys and a few really not fast guys. With 10 cars on the track, it often gets really hectic and coming up on someone who's 5-7 tenths off the pace. It's always an adventure if they don't know you're coming...

The other is the tech crew. Tech is so loose and inconsistent it's almost rediculous.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
You've been to the Novak, Ian?

I can't wait for this year's race. I'm always pumped for Cleveland.

I have two suggestions for the race. One would be for practice (particularly for stock TC and stock 12th), to not only call laptimes but to attempt to call traffic. Often times there are heats that have a few fast guys and a few really not fast guys. With 10 cars on the track, it often gets really hectic and coming up on someone who's 5-7 tenths off the pace. It's always an adventure if they don't know you're coming...

The other is the tech crew. Tech is so loose and inconsistent it's almost rediculous.
Brian, No ill will towards Scotty, but The Novak doesn't count as a "biggie" imo because they don't run 12th scale!!! Sorry but Grocery Getters will never eclipse 12th scale as my favorite class.

Great suggestion about calling traffic. I know that I've been affected by that very scenario more times than once at major events, (sometimes I'm the cause! ), and that's definitely something I'll try to do more of this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.