Search
Like Tree11Likes

1:10 Onroad track on Concrete?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 07:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 1:10 Onroad track on Concrete?

Hi

We have been given the opportunity to use an abandoned car park as a permanent track.
It is 30+ year old with concrete.
Size is 40x18 meters.

We will steam wash the track, but wonder what to use to get traction up.
Sugar/ Asphalt Renewer (sealer)/ Paint ??

My question is, is there anybody with experience to get a concrete track to work?

All feedbacks are appreciated..

Revolter22 likes this.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

We could never get concrete to stick in the old days, but we got lucky here in Mesa, AZ. P&F Hobbies opened a very large store in a local mall and some of our club guys went over to help him put in a carpet track. They needed to level the concrete inside the store, so they hired a contractor to sand the entire track area. Then they figured, better seal it off and they used a 1 part epoxy paint, satin black (not gloss). Since carpet is so expensive they figured, might as well try it out and the traction was fantastic. Heck we sprayed it once with sugar water and never sprayed it again. We just would blow off the dirt/foam and occasionally mop the entire area. We had so much traction that we had to glue TC tires because of traction rolls. Unfortunately the place only stayed in business for 2 years, but it was fun while it lasted.

My feelings were that the sanding was what gave us the traction. However, your concrete already looks pretty rough. You may try just spraying with sugar water or soda and try it out. Or you might try painting it with the 1 part epoxy paint in black satin. Good luck, pretty sure you can get it to work. There are other outdoor concrete tracks, I know of one in Florida under a shade in the Tampa area and it has good traction. Good luck.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Viking73
Hi

We have been given the opportunity to use an abandoned car park as a permanent track.
It is 30+ year old with concrete.
Size is 40x18 meters.

We will steam wash the track, but wonder what to use to get traction up.
Sugar/ Asphalt Renewer (sealer)/ Paint ??

My question is, is there anybody with experience to get a concrete track to work?

All feedbacks are appreciated..
it’s is concrete. You can use a rubberized sealer we ran it in one of our covered (polished) concrete tracks and it was really good .

glennhl likes this.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

I change my vote. I think you should coat it with the rubberized sealant that Marcos.J recommended. A few reasons: It will fill in the roughness better than epoxy paint, will last longer outside, and will be a lot less expensive. The epoxy paint was very expensive.

Marcos.J likes this.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the sealer need to be with sand in it (that is if the owners of the property will let you)! As for traction compound high sugar content in cheap soda from WalMart with Karo dark and clear- Spray.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BullFrog
the sealer need to be with sand in it (that is if the owners of the property will let you)! As for traction compound high sugar content in cheap soda from WalMart with Karo dark and clear- Spray.
rubber sealer is the best if they can afford it sealer with sand will not last that long ,we have ran many races at our current track with the rubber sealer with “zero prep” just blowing the track off and the laps are only about 1-2tenths from a prep day. It’s now about a year and half old and still has texture to it .
Rick Vessell and glennhl like this.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
rubber sealer is the best if they can afford it sealer with sand will not last that long ,we have ran many races at our current track with the rubber sealer with “zero prep” just blowing the track off and the laps are only about 1-2tenths from a prep day. It’s now about a year and half old and still has texture to it .
Do you know the brand or where it was purchased from?
Old 03-26-2024, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell
Do you know the brand or where it was purchased from?

Amazon they are like $140 per bucket
Rick Vessell and glennhl like this.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanx for the feedback.
We have some buckets of the Latex-Ite Airport Grade Sealer.
Anyone with experience with that?

Old 03-28-2024, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Viking73
Thanx for the feedback.
We have some buckets of the Latex-Ite Airport Grade Sealer.
Anyone with experience with that?

Try a little spot and see
Old 03-28-2024, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I'm thinking of a small track on my side yard. Would asphalt be the way to go? Or is concrete ok?
Old 03-28-2024, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tommy911t
I'm thinking of a small track on my side yard. Would asphalt be the way to go? Or is concrete ok?
If you can go with really smooth asphalt, do that. Then just spray it with sugar water or cheap soda.
tommy911t likes this.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Perfect. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2024, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well I've done the sealer by hand. We got several big squeezes. poured it and spread it around in small sections. Then we used cheap sodas for traction. But it's your track.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Well I've done the sealer by hand. We got several big squeezes. poured it and spread it around in small sections. Then we used cheap sodas for traction. But it's your track.
You can also use squeegees to put down either the rubber or latex sealers. We have used the latex sealers over asphalt with excellent results. I hope your feelings don't get hurt if the guy doesn't use what you recommended. That statement at the end sounds like you are upset.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.