Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What TC chassis to recommend for beginners? >

What TC chassis to recommend for beginners?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

What TC chassis to recommend for beginners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 02:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default What TC chassis to recommend for beginners?

Hi there everyone, Im a long time offroad club racer that has been looking to dive into the onroad racing world for quite some time. I want to get a touring car chassis that I can learn to drive properly and basically throw tires at. Im a little lost to say the least. One thing for sure is I wont buy a used car, so with many options and price points what would be the chassis to get into racing with? Sport level at first from Yokomo or Xpress? Go all in with the rest at the tracks with Xray? Any other brands? Realistically its not the cost of the kits, but with only a handful of race days a year, I wont be using the car to its ability anytime soon. Thank you in advance for the insight.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PEDAL
Hi there everyone, Im a long time offroad club racer that has been looking to dive into the onroad racing world for quite some time. I want to get a touring car chassis that I can learn to drive properly and basically throw tires at. Im a little lost to say the least. One thing for sure is I wont buy a used car, so with many options and price points what would be the chassis to get into racing with? Sport level at first from Yokomo or Xpress? Go all in with the rest at the tracks with Xray? Any other brands? Realistically its not the cost of the kits, but with only a handful of race days a year, I wont be using the car to its ability anytime soon. Thank you in advance for the insight.
I'd go Xpress, either the AT1S (shaft drive) or XQ3S (belt drive). The higher end you go, the more precise you need to get with the build and setup. The budget Xpress kits just work without tinkering.
SteveM, Lonestar, PEDAL and 1 others like this.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I'd go Xpress, either the AT1S (shaft drive) or XQ3S (belt drive). The higher end you go, the more precise you need to get with the build and setup. The budget Xpress kits just work without tinkering.
this is the insider info I need, thank you
Old 03-15-2024, 04:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The easiest way is go to the track and see what brands they are racing. The most popular would be the one to get as you can ask questions on the set-ups. Also parts availablity.
PEDAL likes this.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

xq2s- this is a very very tough chassis i mean tough. lots of part support
xq3s- not sure but if its as tough as 2s then this would be the chassis to run, its just too new to know
PEDAL likes this.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:54 PM
Tech Champion

These chassis are great for beginners, but please get the lightest electronics, 16awg wires(21.5tc), and build with the lowest possible CG while polishing all metal parts...You will be surprised how many high end cars you'll keep up with...Good luck....
PEDAL likes this.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
These chassis are great for beginners, but please get the lightest electronics, 16awg wires(21.5tc), and build with the lowest possible CG while polishing all metal parts...You will be surprised how many high end cars you'll keep up with...Good luck....
You really don't need that with these cars.
PEDAL likes this.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:35 AM
h2e
Tech Fanatic

If I was starting over with the hobby, I'd probably go for the Yokomo. C hub design and fixed toe with blocks in the back makes for less setup errors, and you will have a good start. Be aware that touring cars need to be more on point with the setup than buggys. So if your first experience isn't perfect, just don't give up. That's also when setup and parts support become important.
PEDAL and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 03-16-2024, 04:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PEDAL
A relatively cheap one that has a lot of spare parts available (Tamiya's TT-01 or 02... something like that). So you can invest the money in spare parts and wheels. So you can learn to drive the car without breaking the bank. Then, over time If you are going to continue with the hobby, you can make the jump to something more competitive.
Rick Vessell and PEDAL like this.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by h2e
If I was starting over with the hobby, I'd probably go for the Yokomo. C hub design and fixed toe with blocks in the back makes for less setup errors, and you will have a good start. Be aware that touring cars need to be more on point with the setup than buggys. So if your first experience isn't perfect, just don't give up. That's also when setup and parts support become important.
The Xpress XQ2S and AT1S also have C hubs and fixed rear toe. The Yokomo doesn't have any advantage there.
PEDAL likes this.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

I would go with whatever is most popular at your local track if you’re not brand specific. That way you have the most support possible for the car you’re racing.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If your local drivers run Xray, I would look into a used T4 or X4. Once you find a set-up that you like, there is not much tinkering you need to do. Throw tires at it and burn laps.
Billy Kelly and PEDAL like this.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

3racing Cero Ultra 2022

Get would you need right out of the box while being priced friendly

a few racers in Florida run them and they’re competitive with them

jo_er86, PEDAL and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 03-17-2024, 04:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gigaplex
You really don't need that with these cars.
It's always best to know that you built your car with the same care as the best pro racers out there rather than regret later not having done so when you finish second by a fraction of a second....Build right the first time and you won't have to redo or regret later ...
PEDAL likes this.
Old 03-17-2024, 04:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm gonna say 3racin sakura s64
very basic mid motor mid gear car. Cheap. Something that is easily left behind and ditchable if u do enjoy and want to upgrade but the xpress isn't a bad choice either.
d
PEDAL likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.