• 2 Post By Raman

TA07 or modern TC: Getting back into hobby

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 10:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default TA07 or modern TC: Getting back into hobby

Hello all,

I am looking to get back into the hobby (for real this time). Last time I did this was around 2005 with a Team Associated Factory Team TC4 (which I still have). During the Pandemic, I picked up a TA-07 Pro in vgc with the intention of getting back into club racing. Fast forward and now that I’m really looking to put rubber to pavement, I’m not seeing the availability of parts for the TA-07 Pro chassis in comparison to what seemed available in the past. Question…are high mortality parts (ie, knuckles, steering arms, etc.) STILL READILY AVAILABLE for the TA-07 Pro platform or would it be easier to move to a more available Tamiya platform (ie, TT-02, etc.)? Are the parts for the TA-07 Pro interchangeable with any of Tamiya’s current offerings?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2023, 11:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The 419 arms, knuckles and uprights are still readily available and compatible with the TA07.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:07 PM
Tech Champion

Still available. A lot of the parts should be shared with either the contemporary TB or TRF series. Even then, you can usually retrofit an older or newer suspension.
h2e likes this.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you're tied to Tamiya - check out the TA08Pro.
It has a weakness in the rear of the chassis plate that can be accounted for with a cross brace available from The RC Racer
The top plate is also a killer option - With just a couple upgrades you'd have a very competitive Club Racer and modern chassis to enjoy.
The couple weaknesses I've mentioned scared a lot of people away from running it, that has resulted in a decent availability of kits and parts.
Unless you're a completely destructive hack of a driver, there is not much else that's an issue with this platform. Its crazy light and a great value.
I have two of them that combined cost less than the cost of another manufacturers kit, even with "necessary" upgrades. Very versatile chassis on pavement and carpet - works fantastic in low traction spec classes like USGT or VTA.

Qatmix and Jrxpro like this.

Last edited by simple; 06-07-2023 at 04:24 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Cheapest car to race is the one you already have - no reason not to run a TA07 around the track. But parts will not get any easier to find.

As for next steps - why limit yourself to Tamiya? You will have a much easier life with one of the common race chassis, far more support and better spares availability. There is a reason you rarely see Tamiyas being raced (and I say this as an occasional Tamiya racer).

Of course if you want to be contrarian, you can race whatever you want. Just don't say I didn't warn you...
Old 06-07-2023, 08:47 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Parts are still easy to get, affordable, and relatively good handling car still. Drive it until you are within a 0.3-0.4s a lap of the fast guys and 95% consistency on your runs and then upgrade to a modern, high end touring car.
Lonestar, Raman and Qatmix like this.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Let's start this conversation with this, what type of racing surface are you going to be racing? Carpet (high grip black CRC or legacy gray ozite), Asphalt (prepped racing surface or parking lot), or other? If a race track, have you spend a day or two at the track talking with other drivers to understand what cars are supported and raced locally?

Next, I believe you will see many posts suggesting to look at the modern TC platforms due to success on the race track in addition to durability and parts availability. The three most common modern TC platforms come from XRAY, Awesomatix, and Mugen. The benefit of these is that there will be plenty of setup help and parts available.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Like I said, I picked up a nice TA-07 Pro from the classifieds during the Pandemic with the intentions of getting back into club racing. Living in SoCal, I'll be running on prepped asphalt and the occasional parking lot track. Although it's been several years, I raced touring car at the (small) club level in the past and I am aware of the how easily parts break when you tap barriers and other cars. I've been looking at other touring car platforms but I would rather use what I already have (assuming it's a viable option).
Raman and simple like this.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You have a ton of options in SoCal for on road, something going on almost every weekend within a 2 hour drive.

Cal Raceway (Orange)
BWS The Street (Perris)
Finish Line (Bakersfield)
RoadRunners (Camarillo)
Revelation (Ontario)
RCP (San Marcos)
The Lap Factory (Santee)
llamont likes this.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Tamiya suspension pretty much is backwards compatible on all the sedans so parts won't be a problem, and you can upgrade to the latest setup.

Also, for club races on parking lots or similar, plastic Tamiya cars are actually really good. Just run it for a while, you may be surprised.
Raman, simple and jgil089 like this.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Techno Duck. I raced TC and 1/12th at Cal Raceway a handful of times over a decade ago when they were running carpet in the gym. I haven’t been on the permanent outdoor track yet.

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
You have a ton of options in SoCal for on road, something going on almost every weekend within a 2 hour drive.

Cal Raceway (Orange)
BWS The Street (Perris)
Finish Line (Bakersfield)
RoadRunners (Camarillo)
Revelation (Ontario)
RCP (San Marcos)
The Lap Factory (Santee)
Old 06-07-2023, 10:59 PM
h2e
Tech Fanatic

I use a TA07pro with some trf cvd driveshafts in the front and 420suspension upgrade. happy camper with decent robustness and good low grip capabilities.
Raman and jgil089 like this.
Old 06-10-2023, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

I raced a TA07 until a few months ago when all my cars got ruined by a flood. I'm not fast but I was usually in the back of the A main in 21.5T with mains to C or D. The car wasn't holding me back.

All parts were super easy to get from the usual places like rcmart, rcjaz etc. C hubs, uprights and the fixings for them were really the only things that were needed and they're all cheap and easy to get. Other items like belts etc last ages and are easy to get. The only thing I haven't checked in a while is hop ups that are specific to the TA07 like shock towers and stiffeners. Most hopups fit a range of TA and TRF cars like steering, dcj etc and theyre all readily available.

Its also pretty durable, I gave up on the TT02 for my son and built him a TA07 and the only dnf was from Dad's building error, which was a nice change from his TT02 not finishing about half of the races it started due to car failures (and erratic driving)
llamont, Raman and h2e like this.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

While there's no disputing just how good the modern, $700 chassis are, if you're a decent driver (
Old 06-12-2023, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by llamont
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Like I said, I picked up a nice TA-07 Pro from the classifieds during the Pandemic with the intentions of getting back into club racing. Living in SoCal, I'll be running on prepped asphalt and the occasional parking lot track. Although it's been several years, I raced touring car at the (small) club level in the past and I am aware of the how easily parts break when you tap barriers and other cars. I've been looking at other touring car platforms but I would rather use what I already have (assuming it's a viable option).
Go to TQRCracing.com, best shop for Tamiya parts. All the Tamiya parts you need are available. If he is out of stock, he will have it in 1 week.

TA07 is a very much a viable option, considering I still race a TA05 and am plenty competitive.

Now if you do decide to go to a new brand, rather than spending $650+ on Mugen MTC2 or Xray x4, you may want to consider the 3racing Cero Ultra. It’s a blend of Mugen / X-rays latest car for $350! It’s a quality chassis!

Last month, one of our regulars showed up with one and is giving hell to our top drivers with Mugen MTC2’s. I just ordered one yesterday myself… “and I’m as royal of a Tamiya fan boy as they come” 😉

Qatmix and jgil089 like this.