Like Tree143Likes

Tamiya TB Evolution V

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by skytrooper
Hi, good to be part of the evo 5 club, i'm building my first evo ever

Only one problem, i have never assembled a hi tech car, such as this, and
do not know how one determines when to use shims?

I am at the very first assembly stages, assembling the prop shaft to the lower bulkhead with the 2 bearings and the manual shows to shim it with four 0.1mm shims, should i go with what the manual says? How do i know when i have shimmed correctly? It all feels the same with or without shims to me? the bearing seem to fit in fine with or without sims, i hope i can get my head around this.

It does not make sense 100% , hope anyone can help, Is there a way to test and feel for any "play" at some stage to determine this?

Thanks

ST

My Evo is also shimmed as the manual advise. THe only mod i have done, is to degrease the bearings with brake cleaner (over night) and then oil a bit with a thin oil (WD40, Neoval, Brunox).

This mod makes sense when you want to take part on serious race meetings.

If you dont degrease the bearings, than they are lasting much longer without clean and reoiling.

Myne spinn with fresh oiled bearings, up to 20 seconds (with wheels on, and of course without the pinion attached.)

Greetings Blueman
Old 09-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Tech Master

For some reason mine only spins for about 7 seconds, using WD40, but after cleaning out the original oil, you can really feel the car accelerate better and (psychologically) even feels like run time improves because the car "glides" so much better.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks all i have finished the rear diff completely and it is almost ready to be mounted to the deck, just one question,
to which side do i need to mount the spur gear mount to the spur gear, the "rough" side, where 96T is printed on the gear or the smooth side? And also why does some of the shims have these little notches on them, do they all need to be ligned up when adding them behind the bearing on the rear diff?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

I do not think it will matter how the spur gear is mounted (at least i do not recall orientation).

I don't know why there are notches in some of the shims, but I think they are to help you identify them easier.

The little notches do not need to be aligned because the rotation of the shaft and vibrations of the car will dis-align them anyway, and I don't see any purpose in aligning them...

Correct me if i am wrong!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks!, Sounds good, so my diff is ready to be mounted, does everyone go with the 96T, i would like to stay with the kit spur options, which gear would put less strain on the drivetrain and motor, i'm not racing yet, so this question, from a "longest durability of drivetrain" point of view. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by skytrooper
thanks!, Sounds good, so my diff is ready to be mounted, does everyone go with the 96T, i would like to stay with the kit spur options, which gear would put less strain on the drivetrain and motor, i'm not racing yet, so this question, from a "longest durability of drivetrain" point of view. Thanks.
I never runned the original spur and pinion, i am using 48dpi spurs.

At the moment i have a 71 tooth spur atachted, because for the racecup i ride the Evo, this spur is reglemented with the Evo5.

in 40 dpi the largest spur you can attach is a 74 or maybe a 75. (I havent tried it yet). So it should be possible to achive ratios up to 9.0-1 i think.

Greetings from Austria, Blueman
Old 09-10-2007, 02:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

skytrooper, wat motor r u using?

bigger spur/smaller pinnon= faster/less acceleration(more strain)

smaller spur/bigger pinnon= vice versa
Old 09-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pie_robot
skytrooper, wat motor r u using?

bigger spur/smaller pinnon= faster/less acceleration(more strain)

smaller spur/bigger pinnon= vice versa
If you mean me, : 23T and 17T Motors. Depends on the rules of the race meeting.

The spur is a 71T and the pinion a 26T. With these ones you get a final 1:6,6.

Greetings Blueman
Old 09-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

nah i was talking to skytrooper
not u Blueman Austria
Old 09-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Tech Initiate

I am finished with both diffs, the blue sure does make it look good

Now i have managed to take of the blue on the turnbuckle shafts with my plier's, and the adjusters also have some plier markings on it, cannot believe i did it, it happened on all of my turnbuckles, anyone else managed to do this?

I'm thinking of buying new sets, how do you turn these adjuster on without causing any damage? Wish i had rubber pliers.

Pie Robot, i'm not yet sue of my choice of motor, i was thinking of going brushles, im my opinion they are still somewhat bulky, especially the speedcontrollers, or have that changed in the meantime?

Anyway thanks for the help so far.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

I put the pliers on the metal part... and use some tissue to stop pliers from scratching it... then turn the plastic with my fingers. I would suggest not worrying about the visible details and focus on having a running car first. Replace the "ugly" parts when the car gets knocked around and functionality is affected.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

When the car was anounced I saw a pic of optional hardened coated aluminium gears. Did these ever come out?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Nope... at least i never heard of them... otherwise.. would've bought them already... despite them having their disadvantages.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
Nope... at least i never heard of them... otherwise.. would've bought them already... despite them having their disadvantages.
See bottom left:
Old 09-20-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by C van der Hagen

Weet jij daar iets van?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.