Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ok, will do, thanks bender
Old 03-27-2007, 02:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bender

I think you've got that backwards. Less grease = less DRAG, which is totally unrelated to friction.

Running the gears without lubrication will mean they heat up more, creating MORE friction, which in turn reduces the efficiency of the car.

Remember, how long the transmission spins for has absolutely nothing to do with its overall efficiency. If free-spin was a true measure of efficiency, then we'd all be running shaft drives with dry ball bearings - as this would give the most free-spin. The reality is that running everything "dry" only increases heat and friction between any surfaces that are moving against each other (ie: bevel gears) and this is amplified as speed increases.

Lube the gears with Tamiya ceramic grease. This stuff is magic and reduces noise, friction, and wear.

I've lost count of the number of shaft drive owners who have put this stuff into their car and told me how much better it was
you make more sense than i do bender. thanks for that tip. i guess i was misinformed. thanks again for the info. i will take it into consideration during the rebuild of my Evo's.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:40 AM
Tech Master

is it worth the trade off of having dirt into the drive train... attracted to the ceramic grease?
Old 03-27-2007, 04:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
is it worth the trade off of having dirt into the drive train... attracted to the ceramic grease?
Hmmm.... that would depend upon how dusty your local track was.

My local track can be very dusty, as there is a BMX track nearby, but I could still go about 4 racedays before needing to clean inside the gearboxes, but to be honest there was very little (if any) dust on the gears themselves - the dust was mainly on the inside of the plastic covers.

It's a pity that Tamiya didn't make proper enclosed gearbox covers for the Evo 5, as that is the only flaw with the whole car. I was hoping that they would release sealed covers as an optional part later on, but that doesn't look like happening
Old 03-27-2007, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

i wish tamiya would consider it

i find that w/ the grease... most of it gets "splattered" against the box, and only a relatively small amount stays on the gears... does that help?
Old 03-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

just a quick question........on my evo 5 my spur gear can "sometimes" move back and fourth about 1mm.......if i rotate the wheels sometimes it can move and sometimes it cant......(hope you know what i mean)

Thx in advance
Old 04-01-2007, 03:02 AM
Tech Addict

anyone?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by surrealmaterial
just a quick question........on my evo 5 my spur gear can "sometimes" move back and fourth about 1mm.......if i rotate the wheels sometimes it can move and sometimes it cant......(hope you know what i mean)

Thx in advance
Try adding some more spacers between the rear gearbox and motor mount, either in front or behind the spur mount.
I had to add some more spacers in there to stop the spur mount moving, but only a couple, as thats what was all required, otherwise it became too tight.

HiH
Ed
Old 04-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

ok will do thanks
Old 04-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

does anyone run their evo in mod? how do the bevel gears hold up?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Got a question, all of u guys seem to like to adjust your cars by inserting spacers here and there all over the car... i want to get into trying this, what is the part numbers (what width of spacers are often used) in terms of tuning? I just want to know what shims are best to "fool around with" to give better results thank you all.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
Got a question, all of u guys seem to like to adjust your cars by inserting spacers here and there all over the car... i want to get into trying this, what is the part numbers (what width of spacers are often used) in terms of tuning? I just want to know what shims are best to "fool around with" to give better results thank you all.

well you have two diferent things,

- shims, very very thin washers ( diferent diameter and 0.1mm,0.2mm, 0.3mm thickness ) to use in transmision parts, like drive shaft and wheel axles

- spacers 3mm hole and diferent height , 0.5 mm to 5 or 6 mms to use between the screws and the screwed part or for example for the suspension arms adjustements to modify the wheelbase

tamiya have good shims easy to find, just google tamiya and shim, tamiya ave also spacers but if you want to get an assortement with diferent heights you should get into take off spacers or JET ones

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=10044
Old 04-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by surrealmaterial
does anyone run their evo in mod? how do the bevel gears hold up?
i do and got the replace bevel gears for first time the past weekend, coudnt say how long they last exactly, but they do good
Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DrKucho
i do and got the replace bevel gears for first time the past weekend, coudnt say how long they last exactly, but they do good
what motor do you run?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

has anyone found a manufacturer for spools yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.