Search
Like Tree143Likes

Tamiya TB Evolution V

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 02:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DrKucho
im afraid that is not right my friend, i use to run a ta04 before the evo 5 , same motor in both (novak 5.5 BL) , and the reason of getting a shaftie after driving a belt car was indeed the drivetrain , i was sick of changing belts and puleys , the drivetrain of the ta04 has so much friction so belts were eating pulleys and pulleys were eating belts so fast , after i change to evo 5 i didnt change anything of drivetrain except for the spur gear and pinion but that's because i am use the small 64 pitch
Ditto...

I have been destroying belts in my x-rays and 415's. The EVO5 should see the end of that problem.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:33 AM
Tech Regular

as i said i am sure that the Evo 5 will definitely handle the mod motors easily, but at the same time it can also be less forgiving than a belt drive with regards to frontal impact with a one-way.

@DrKucho, i have had 2 Evo 4's before i got the 2 Evo 5's that i currently run, and i used to run mod in the Evo4, os i know that a shaftie will handle it easily, but it is a fact that the ring and bevel gears will wear out faster and need changing sooner than if you run the same shaft car with a 540 Johnson or 27T stock!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RocketRacer
as i said i am sure that the Evo 5 will definitely handle the mod motors easily, but at the same time it can also be less forgiving than a belt drive with regards to frontal impact with a one-way.
i dont understnad what you said about front impacts, belt cars and one ways ... i cant see the point

@DrKucho, i have had 2 Evo 4's before i got the 2 Evo 5's that i currently run, and i used to run mod in the Evo4, os i know that a shaftie will handle it easily, but it is a fact that the ring and bevel gears will wear out faster and need changing sooner than if you run the same shaft car with a 540 Johnson or 27T stock!
indeed everything wear faster with faster motor: gears, bearings, driveshafts, tires ....
Old 02-20-2007, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

ok in my limited experience, i experienced a few stripped one way and bevel gears whill running mod. i guess the same could happen with a 27T. but i was just experienceing more frequent drivetrain damage while running mod in the shaft driven car than in a belt driven car. maybe it was just mybad driving at the time.

no doubt, since this discussion i am definitely going to try my mod motor in my Evo 5.

anyway, heres a pic of my TRIPLE THREAT!!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ok in my limited experience, i experienced a few stripped one way and bevel gears whill running mod. i guess the same could happen with a 27T. but i was just experienceing more frequent drivetrain damage while running mod in the shaft driven car than in a belt driven car. maybe it was just mybad driving at the time.

no doubt, since this discussion i am definitely going to try my mod motor in my Evo 5.

anyway, heres a pic of my TRIPLE THREAT!!

wow, too much blue!!!! How do you compare the trf415 with the evo 5?? which one do you like the most?

cheers,
Old 02-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Tamiya might give the Evo 5 a shot at the IFMAR Worlds Race.
The Evo 5`s Driver(s) will have to Set-Up the kit/car for the track and be Fast.....and try for TQ.

If it can be in the Top 10; it`s in there.

But the Evo 5 will be at the 2007 Reedy Race - in Stock and 19-Turn.....and something Faster(if there is a race this year).

They know what the TB Evo 5 can handle.

Take Care
Old 02-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

@rampal - in 27T stock, the cars are very evenly matched, the Evo 5 does have the edge though. when i ran them this past sunday. the Evo 5 was faster, though not by much. bear in mind also that the 415 is stil new in my hands, sunday was it's first outing so there is still alot of room for improvement.

as much as i really really like the 415MSXX, my favourite is still my Evo 5!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GuyIsDamGood
Tamiya might give the Evo 5 a shot at the IFMAR Worlds Race.
The Evo 5`s Driver(s) will have to Set-Up the kit/car for the track and be Fast.....and try for TQ.

If it can be in the Top 10; it`s in there.

But the Evo 5 will be at the 2007 Reedy Race - in Stock and 19-Turn.....and something Faster(if there is a race this year).

They know what the TB Evo 5 can handle.

Take Care
Tamiya TRF drivers do not run the Evo series cars anymore at those levels.The 415 series cars are what they run.So sorry,it won't happen.As for the Reedy,there is no stock class,so if you want to run your evo5 there,you can do it in Spec19 and open Mod.The TRF guys I would bet will be running the 415 for sure.
Dr Kucho.All shaft/beveled gear drivetrain cars are prone to drivetrain damage due to frontal impacts.I don't understand why you can't understand why this would be.I would take a belt anyday over a shaft drive just for reliabilty sake.
The evo 5 is an excellent choice for a car,but for Mod,belts rule at the highest level.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by racenut123
Tamiya TRF drivers do not run the Evo series cars anymore at those levels.The 415 series cars are what they run.So sorry,it won't happen.As for the Reedy,there is no stock class,so if you want to run your evo5 there,you can do it in Spec19 and open Mod.The TRF guys I would bet will be running the 415 for sure.
Dr Kucho.All shaft/beveled gear drivetrain cars are prone to drivetrain damage due to frontal impacts.I don't understand why you can't understand why this would be.I would take a belt anyday over a shaft drive just for reliabilty sake.
The evo 5 is an excellent choice for a car,but for Mod,belts rule at the highest level.
maybe other shaft cars strip gears on front impacts, but i evo 5 its prepared to avoid that, in one of the sides , the drive shaft goes into a cup joint similar to the diffjoints so when crash the driveshaft can "compress" to avoid damage on gears

still dont understand what has to do a one way on all this
Old 02-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Tech Addict

wat do you guys use to strap the battery in?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by surrealmaterial
wat do you guys use to strap the battery in?
a 1/2 inch wide straping tape
Old 02-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
a 1/2 inch wide straping tape
ok, do you know were i can get some?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by surrealmaterial
ok, do you know were i can get some?
Winsdor hobby center. They have a choice of about 4 colors inc blue.

Has anybody added spacers to the ball ends on the steering arms to change ackerman? What effect did you experience by adding spacers?

Last edited by Dragonfire; 02-21-2007 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

www.speedtechrc.com has some in blue, blakc and pink
Old 02-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey DrKucho; I believe you`re right. They built the Evo 5 to handle a few crashes.

TRF Drivers run the Evo 5. . . . .David Jun uses it.....He`s the only TRF Driver that`s running the TB Evo 5 at the moment.

It looks like Belt Drive is what`s in for now. Only 3 companies are making (good) Shaft Drive Kits: Tamiya, Yokomo and Kyosho.
-Team Associated now has a Belt Drive Kit.

Take Care

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.