• 1 Post By Sir 51D3WAYS
  • 3 Post By Lonestar

TT01,TA05 buying advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

Default TT01,TA05 buying advice?

Hi,

I have the opportunity to purchase 2 TT01s(good condition, silver cans) and one hopped up TA05 (a lot of blue, roller). I haven't been in the hobby much within the last 20 years and am interested in these because I used to race them with my dad - TA05s specifically. Idon't know anything about pricing. I am just wondering, what is a fair price for the three?

I am looking to get back in the hobby with a couple cheap/identical cars to run at a local track a bit so my gf can test out driving+wrenching and if she enjoys the hobby enough to get into low level club racing.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:22 PM
Tech Champion

I'd say roughly $200-$300
SteveM likes this.
Old 09-07-2022, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

New TT01-02 are priced <$100... I wouldn't buy one used, given their price points, as well as the fact that they typically are beginner's cars i.e. cars that new rc'ers do their teething on...

TA05 is now vintage-ish... I understand the nostalgia factor, I also wouldn't buy one for racing, even club racing duties either.

Since you left RC 20yrs ago, many affordable-but-quality brands have launched cars that are much cheaper than proper top-notch racecars, but only a bit more expensive than plastic-fantastic tamiya's... I'd look into these instead of anything from Shizuoka.
Sir 51D3WAYS, jo_er86 and gigaplex like this.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:42 AM
Tech Adept

I wouldn't bother with the TT01's - though 1 could be good for learning to drive again if your out of practice. They are super cheap new - so would not pay much for a second hand one.

The TA05 is still a good car, I've got a TA05v2 with gear diffs and a few hop-ups and it performs well on track and is easy to drive, I got one new in box for 150Euro last year, so a second hand one should be less than that - but will really depend on what version of the TA05 it is, and what hop-ups it has (and whether the hop-ups are genuine Tamiya parts).
Old 09-10-2022, 07:29 AM
Tech Rookie

It should be in the ballpark of $200
Old 09-10-2022, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Thank you for all the advice! I have taken it all and decided against making the purchase. After a visit to the local track, I am still considering between picking up new TT01/2, redcat lightning STK or Kyosho Fazer MK2.

I am considering these as I will need to learn to drive again as well as she would be starting out with no experience. Planning on picking up 2 and keeping them identical. We'll start by going to the track for a bit before joining a novice class and deciding from there.
Old 09-10-2022, 06:31 PM
Tech Adept

Id still try to go for an old tamiya TA/TB series as they are intended for racing besides the limitations of a plastic tub. They are a lot more adjustable and still have parts everywhere

TT02 also has potential for upgrades but is incredibly simple, better or for worse

Xpress xq1s would probably be the best for performance and price though. The car also shares parts with its higher-end version, so you can upgrade the car as you go
Old 09-11-2022, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Plus 1 to Herrokerro, get the TA05, especially if it’s a V2

I Still race mine in TCS GT2 class and in VTA. In VTA I’m on top 3 against X-rays. You can upgrade it to run the latest 420 arms. Heck if you decide to pass on it, PM me details of the seller and I might just pick it up

TT02 only the type S has capabilities to be competitive, because it uses TA05 style arms, but it is still needs lots of upgrades

Kyosho Fazer is basically a TT02.. so I’d avoid that as well.

Im a Tamiya Fan.. but as others have mentioned though.. take a look at RC Xpress Execute or Sakura Advance kits.. they’re inexpensive, parts readily available and quality is above a TT02.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Old tech but still out there. Prolly easier to learn on than many of the higher end cars today. Not many adjustments so you're not getting too complicated. These are fun cars for spec classes if your track has them. VTA like others have suggested.