Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Talk Me Out Of An XRAY T2

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default 05

You could also look at a FK05 as well. I have both cars and I really like them both. I use the alloy shock bodies from Xray on BOTH cars. It takes some work but I feel they work just as well as the the plastic ones. With the T2...I never had the tweek issue but I did use the BMI chassis to make it stiffer. I did have the rear toe issue but that was fixed with a new rear hub. (Xray tweeked the production of them so I figure the newer hubs will be in the new kits) For the spring kit, you could find someone who could go half's with you and just split the springs up. It's not often you run the same springs front and rear.

The 05 is a wonderful car. I never had any problems with it. It's also a very strong car. (So is the T2) I'm just as fast with the 05 as I am with the T2. You can't lose with either car. Just a side note...The fastest guy at our track runs a 05 (STOCK out of box)....He's smokes everyone with it.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

That's a great idea on the springs, Kevin! I could probably buy both sets and ebay half of them and get $60. $60 for 2 of each spring is a good deal IMO, so hopefully someone else out there agrees with me .
Old 04-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I'm planning on putting a set of asphalt springs up on the forsale forum once i get the last set i need. One pair each of 14lb through 22.5lb.

The packaging of the springs is the single thing I hate about Xray. They made you spend the most amount possible by packaging in sets of 4 and offering 2 spring kits in alternating stiffness instead of offering the low end of the scale for rubber asphalt/carpet and the higher end for foam carpet.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yep. The springs are nothing more than an unbridled cashgrab.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hey Jason, I run asphalt in FL. and I love my XRAY '04 . its a great car and can compete with all those other cars . It's a TANK

PEACE OUT AND GO RACE !
Old 04-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Talking

Tamiya shocks and Associated springs. There alot cheaper and are just alittle shorter then the Xray springs. Tamiya shocks are just soooo smoooth.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Phenochilus
You're not wrong there. On the FK05 it took me 5 attempts of getting the air out of them and man how do you stop the the oil leaking out of them... The trf ones are really easy to build.
if it takes 5 attempts to get the air out you are doing something wrong. i have tried most of the brands out there in cars, and when it comes to shocks my absolute favorites are tamiya and xray, both are silk smooth, easy to work with without any problems, and with xray i mean their plastic shocks.

you simply cant go wrong with a xray car. if i would get back to racing again i wouldnt hesitate a moment to get an axray car again.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hatebreed
if it takes 5 attempts to get the air out you are doing something wrong. i have tried most of the brands out there in cars, and when it comes to shocks my absolute favorites are tamiya and xray, both are silk smooth, easy to work with without any problems, and with xray i mean their plastic shocks.

you simply cant go wrong with a xray car. if i would get back to racing again i wouldnt hesitate a moment to get an axray car again.
i agree with you all the way...xray and tamiya shocks are top of the line and i have also had no problems with the plastic shock bodies
Old 04-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

bro , I bought a corally last month and I still have not broken a part yet. I run at SoCal racetrack 19 turn which is very competitive. Since I bought the corally car I have been on the top guys in 19 turn even out qualifying alot of them. I use to run a tamiya msx. The corally shocks in my opinion are better than tamiya's.. and the car kicks ass out doors and indoors... If you want to make the show get a corally ...
Old 04-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Jason B]I've been waffling on this since last Friday (sorry Blake). There are real pros and cons to each one... but just covering the cons:QUOTE]

blah blah blah man you are a fickle one. I'll tell you again, order a dang car and get your a$$ back in the game. We got racin to do! I'm getting bored talking to Dustin.........

Maybe flip a coin???

I don't think there is a bad choice, and if you don't like what you get, sell it and buy the other.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jason B

T2 Cons:
PLASTIC SHOCKS*
Tweak issues; most people solve with an aftermarket chassis ($100+)
Battery strap is a $30 option
Sway kits are $30 options (rear doesn't seem needed, but front is pretty standard on most setups)
Spring sets cost eleventy billion dollars**

Xray T2
"We don't include the alloy shocks because the composite ones are simply better."

They're better because the alloy ones suck, not because they discovered some deep dark secret regarding superior composite materials use.

What it SHOULD say is "in order to cut costs, we used plastic shock bodies. When people got pissed, we half-baked some alloy alternatives but they were never fully developed, so they're pretty much not usable."

They say the composites are simply better. That's not because the plastic ones are so fantastically awesome, but because the alloy bodies aren't produced to the same quality as, say, Corally's alloy bodies.

Fix whatever isn't "as good" with your alloy shock bodies, and make them standard on your "luxury" car kit!

Spring sets. Suppose you need springs X on the front and Y on the back. They make you buy FOUR of X and FOUR of Y. Why not sell them in packages of 2 to allow the consumer to save some money? If you want to get all of the spring options, it's $120. Why? Well, a) because they're very pricey, and b) because they're making you buy FOUR of each. Total cost for all springs could easily be $60. If I need four, I'll buy 2 sets of 2. If your springs are made of Super Uber Hudy Spring Steel and you want to charge a premium for that, then fine... but don't make me buy 20 of something that I only need 5 of.

Ranting aside, I just don't feel like the T2 is truly ready to race out of the box. At a bare minimum it needs the front sway kit and, for carpet racers, two sets of four springs (which are, coincidentally, not bundled in the same spring kit). If you're picky over tape, you also need a $30 battery strap.
Ok, here is a rebuttle to your ranting over the t2 as it is what I run and know it as well as the next guy.

Shocks- they are the best hands down if you follow the instructions that Guy has posted on here countless times. How many different companies allow you to adjust your shocks without taking them apart? What would you rather break- a plastic shock body or shaft?

springs- if you are running on carpet you could get pepto fronts and white rears and be happy or possibly light blue or blue.

sway bar kit- I have not used a sway bar kit yet. there is no need for one on the t2. Most setups you can find on the xray website do not have them.

People aren't buying an aftermarket chassis to prevent tweak. They are either countersinking the stock topdeck, buying a pickles,crc, or bmi topdeck to prevent tweak. Unless you are on snowbirds traction you don't need the extra stiffness of these other chassis unless you are totally against having flex in your car. Most people will tell you that the stock form is faster than the aftermarket in all club level tractions.

Anyways, the rdx is a good car but I think you are worried that the T2 is not at the same level which is not true.
Chris Adams
Old 04-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just a quick question......

Why would someone want to be talked out of a T2???

Car handles great, parts are widespread and plentiful.......Still don't see anything negative there.......