Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Dusting off a AE TC3 gearing with brushless? >

Dusting off a AE TC3 gearing with brushless?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes

Dusting off a AE TC3 gearing with brushless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 10:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Clueless

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Getting the diff to lock on acceleration, even with a 21.5t, is the real issue...The slipping on black carpet is terrible. I heard steel balls will have more bite than ceramics or carbide, but they will not last as long...I am still experimenting to find a good solution, but the diff bolt keeps snapping with a 4.5t on black carpet...The key is to find enough friction to lock the diff gear ring and the outdrives when power is applied, without much diff spring tension....I will be moving up to 3.5t on crc black carpet to experiment some more....
Why would you be running a 4.5 in a tc3 on carpet ? They car is not built to withstand that power , grip , and extremes. I would love to see a video of you tapping a board at that speeds. You would lose both front and rear arms plus who knows what.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by john holmes 69
Why would you be running a 4.5 in a tc3 on carpet ? They car is not built to withstand that power , grip , and extremes. I would love to see a video of you tapping a board at that speeds. You would lose both front and rear arms plus who knows what.
There's plenty of videos online of Bert bouncing off the walls even in the slower classes.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

......i do believe there's a meme with an amusing sound byte originating from G.T.A.-" Aww ***, here we go again ! "( and this isn't even the Tc-3/4 thread ). Anyways , i'd hope the OP gets some clarity on the gearing.-greg
Old 04-22-2022, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Getting the diff to lock on acceleration, even with a 21.5t, is the real issue...The slipping on black carpet is terrible. I heard steel balls will have more bite than ceramics or carbide, but they will not last as long...I am still experimenting to find a good solution, but the diff bolt keeps snapping with a 4.5t on black carpet...The key is to find enough friction to lock the diff gear ring and the outdrives when power is applied, without much diff spring tension....I will be moving up to 3.5t on crc black carpet to experiment some more....
Maybe it is my level of english which is a problem there but I don't understand why, if you know that there is an issue with a 21.5T motor, will you go for a 4.5T, then for 3.5T... What's the point here? Have you every considered that the issue is probably coming from the excessive grip provided by the Black Carpet? Have you tried it in other conditions?
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I’ll be doing some testing to see how well the ball differential holds up on carpet with a 17.5T Justock setup. Should be fine as long as the differential has been built and broken in correctly.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Airwave
Maybe it is my level of english which is a problem there but I don't understand why, if you know that there is an issue with a 21.5T motor, will you go for a 4.5T, then for 3.5T... What's the point here? Have you every considered that the issue is probably coming from the excessive grip provided by the Black Carpet? Have you tried it in other conditions?
It's not your level of English. There's no reason to run a 3.5T on carpet, no matter the car.
DirkW likes this.
Old 04-23-2022, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
It's not your level of English. There's no reason to run a 3.5T on carpet, no matter the car.
Especially if a 4.5T is already shredding your diff/drivetrain, what could make you think that an even more powerful motor would work better?
But hey, it's Bert...
gigaplex likes this.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
I’ll be doing some testing to see how well the ball differential holds up on carpet with a 17.5T Justock setup. Should be fine as long as the differential has been built and broken in correctly.
We're a little off the original posts topic, but I still race well with my TC3 on black carpet.
Have used the 17.5T & 21.5T Justock from the Vegas IIC spec and amateur classes. Ball diff holds well for these motors.
Getting the FDR into the 3.4 - 3.8 range for these motors requires 50-56T pinion with a 74-76T spur, and that size pinion requires dremeling out the webbing in the chassis under the pinion. Structurally no harm done.
Setup I use is really close to the stock kit recommendations with less droop in the rear, ~3-3.5 on black carpet.

Fun running the TC3 mid-pack against all those Carbon/Ti beauties.
EDWARD2003 and Juniorabca like this.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:35 PM
Tech Champion

To answer all of you guys here, the ball diff is at a disadvantage against a gear diff(no slip) because of unavoidable slip, no matter the brushless motor used: that inherent slip increases the tc3/tc4 laptimes 0.2sec or more per lap... I want to use a 3.5t motor due to less initial torque eventhough more power is available later in the powerband: less torque around turns when diff slip is high and more power down the straight to make up some time on the gear diff cars...I don't know why associated did not make a gear diff for the tc3/4, but with my 17.5t motors at 3.9fdr to 4.0fdr, I struggled alot to keep up, not realizing that the ball diff had alot to do with it....Anyway, good luck with your tc3, and see you at the track soon....
Old 04-24-2022, 11:07 PM
Tech Champion

To answer all of you guys here, the ball diff is at a disadvantage against a gear diff(no slip) because of unavoidable slip, no matter the brushless motor used: that inherent slip increases the tc3/tc4 laptimes 0.2sec or more per lap... I want to use a 3.5t motor due to less initial torque eventhough more power is available later in the powerband: less torque around turns when diff slip is high and more power down the straight to make up some time on the gear diff cars...I don't know why associated did not make a gear diff for the tc3/4, but with my 17.5t motors at 3.9fdr to 4.0fdr, I struggled alot to keep up, not realizing that the ball diff had alot to do with it....Anyway, good luck with your tc3, and see you at the track soon....
A 3.5T will have more initial torque. You're better off with a 5.0T and then using ESC settings to reduce the bottom end further.

AE didn't make a gear diff for the TC4 because they'd already moved on to the TC6 before sealed gear diffs became popular.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate
We're a little off the original posts topic, but I still race well with my TC3 on black carpet.
Have used the 17.5T & 21.5T Justock from the Vegas IIC spec and amateur classes. Ball diff holds well for these motors.
Getting the FDR into the 3.4 - 3.8 range for these motors requires 50-56T pinion with a 74-76T spur, and that size pinion requires dremeling out the webbing in the chassis under the pinion. Structurally no harm done.
Setup I use is really close to the stock kit recommendations with less droop in the rear, ~3-3.5 on black carpet.

Fun running the TC3 mid-pack against all those Carbon/Ti beauties.

is your gear 64 pitch or 48?
Old 04-25-2022, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Timster1973
is your gear 64 pitch or 48?
At those sizes, 64.