Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2213Likes

Xray X4

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-12-2023, 09:53 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Xray X4
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: R Dodge
XRAY X4'22 Helpful tips & setups

Tips:

Installing the hex on the driveshaft - Make 100% sure you have the flat spot lined up on the axle with the cutout in the hex as shown in the manual. If you do not do this, it will make disassembly so much harder. The flat spot is there so you can fit a flathead screwdriver in between the shaft and the c-clip to pop it off when you want to remove the hex. Also, when removing the c-clip I would recommend pointing it down into your pit mat/towel so the clip does not go flying and disappear.

Assembling the upper arms - Make sure to grease the threads on the camber screw (302640). This will make assembly and camber adjustments much easier. Also, when adjusting camber you want to make sure you hold the upper arm so it does not twist while you turn the screw.

Droop - It is important to remove the shocks. All team setup sheets will show droop settings with shocks removed. Simply detaching them from the arm will do. This is a change from how we set droop in the past.

Setups:

**If the super mods on this forum were actually right, and handled things correctly, they would not have gone back and deleted all the posts to hide things

***And since they are in the deleting mood now, they might as well go ahead and just delete all the images of the setup sheet, as originally requested via private comms.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Toat
I managed to warp one front lower arm. After getting back from the track I noticed the front antirollbar couldn't be adjusted symmetrically, and ended up discovering that was the issue. It was somehow still solid but had a noticeable bow in it.
Mines are the same and so do my friends’ 24. Some are worse than mine, to the extent of the steering knuckle touches the arm when turning. Looks like the bowing/warp pivoted at the downstop screws and this is making it harder to set the downstop accurately and it affects the caster too. I think due to the design of the arm with wide opening around the center to accommodate the shocks is making it soft and too flexi or maybe they are using different material than 23 which does not have this issue.

Having said this, how do you guys set your downstop on the 24? With or without the shocks attach to the arm? I m having different value when I set it initially without shocks attach then after attaching the shocks because of the arm is bowing/warp down due to it being press down by the shocks.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Toat
I managed to warp one front lower arm. After getting back from the track I noticed the front antirollbar couldn't be adjusted symmetrically, and ended up discovering that was the issue. It was somehow still solid but had a noticeable bow in it.
My bet is the arms actually have a tiny crack in them around the droop screw, sway bar ball, or the elbow. Use a bright light and while placing downward pressure on the steering block to flex the arm, look very closely for cracks.

Every time my droop has been wrong or different from a previous setting, there has always been a crack in the carbon atop the arm.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dameetz
Having said this, how do you guys set your downstop on the 24? With or without the shocks attach to the arm? I m having different value when I set it initially without shocks attach then after attaching the shocks because of the arm is bowing/warp down due to it being press down by the shocks.
I recall Hagberg saying they now measure it with the shocks attached.

Interesting about the warping.

Having said that, I just put in another day of practice with the car today, and with my average club racer driving skills, it's an absolut blast to drive... And surprisingly enough to drive consistently, which matters to me the most!
Isaac likes this.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Interesting about the warping.
I would be surprised if they are warping. The arms in question that looked warped either have a crack is the carbon fiber inlay atop the arm, or the arm itself has a partial crack allowing the arm to distort, appearing warped. In my case, every arm on my cars that has appeared distorted, or had droop values incorrect, has always been the result of a damaged arm.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For those starting/claiming the arms and/or inserts are 'wrapping', can you, please, provide photos? Also, instead of just a single photo, is better to have a few photos, showing the arms/inserts from multiple angles (helps to eliminate non-affecting possibilities).
racing_jason likes this.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi, I have an issue which I can't fix. I have a bearing on the left rear cvd which always wears out to the point where nothing left !
This is the 3rd time I'm changing it I can't figure out what the issue is.
please see the picture.

Old 05-09-2024, 05:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by moulip
Hi, I have an issue which I can't fix. I have a bearing on the left rear cvd which always wears out to the point where nothing left !
please see the picture.
That's not wear, the bearing has broken. The outer race and the balls are missing entirely.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
That's not wear, the bearing has broken. The outer race and the balls are missing entirely.
Yup, having said that, it's hard to explain how this can happen three times in a row...would the outdrive opening be a few hundredths too narrow, maybe?
Old 05-09-2024, 06:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Yup, having said that, it's hard to explain how this can happen three times in a row...would the outdrive opening be a few hundredths too narrow, maybe?
Yes that's what I assume. I'm going to replace the diff outdrive
Old 05-09-2024, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes that's what I assume. I'm going to replace the diff outdrive
​​​​​​or switch to the other side temporarily to see if that side fails
Old 05-09-2024, 07:35 AM
AMZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blueflagger
Possibly a very slightly bent dogbone?
Old 05-09-2024, 11:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by blueflagger
You mean switch the 2 outdrives ?

Old 05-09-2024, 11:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by AMZ
Possibly a very slightly bent dogbone?
I will check that.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You mean switch the 2 outdrives ?

that, or just put the axle on the other side of the car.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

please see the picture.
Time for troubleshooting. But, first, do you know, with 100% certainty, that it's always happening to the exact same bearing location? In other words, is the 'good' bearing the exact same bearing that was initially installed...or, is it possible that it's happened to both bearings on that CVD (ie. "one" of the two bearings keeps failing, but you are not 100% certain it's the EXACT same bearing location). The only way to be 100% certain would be to 'mark' the good bearing and/or that side of the CVD, as well as that same outdrive, insert that bearing into that exact same outdrive, and then run the vehicle until another bearing failure, and see if it's the same bearing. If so, then repeat the process, except insert that bearing into the opposite outdrive, and see if it's the same bearing (again), or if it's the opposite bearing.

Obviously, the above is part of the overall troubleshooting...albeit, a very time-consuming method. As pointed out by others, it could be a number of different things. For long-term troubleshooting, I would still recommend following the above directions. However, at the same time, you should also incorporate several short-term troubleshooting steps. Check to make certain the axle, itself, isn't bent...even the most minute bend can cause this. As someone else pointed out, measure the width of the opening in the outdrives (BOTH outdrives), doing so at multiple locations, and compare the measurements of each outdrive against each other (ex. the width could be the same on both outdrives at the "fully seated" position, but could be different closer to the outer edge of the outdrives. It is possible that the side "eating" your bearings has an outdrive that is 'pinched'. Considering the opening on the BB outdrives is wider than the opening on the standard outdrives, it's safe to assume they could/would bend more easily. Also, check the outdrives, themselves. It is equally possible that one of the outdrive shafts (the section that goes into the differential) is bent, which would cause the outside section of the outdrive to have a slight "wobble" when the diff is rotated. Next thing to check would be the 'pins' holding the bearings, as it's possible one of the 'pins' is bent. Again, even the most minute bend could cause the problem. Try swapping the left/right CVDs, and see if the problem continues (which it probably will), and whether it continues to happen on the same side, or the opposite side (if the 'same' side, then the problem is with the outdrive and/or diff...if opposite side, then it's something related to the CVD).

As I was finishing typing everything above, two other possibilities came to mind - the lower bulkhead, and the adjustment ball bearing hub. It's worth checking those, as well. I won't go into what, specifically, to check, as there are several things...all of which I'm sure you should be able to figure out. The points is, you will need to check EVERYTHING related to the rear driveline, step-by-step, to find the cause of the problem. You could find it very quickly, as it could be the first thing you check...or, it could take weeks, and be the last thing you check. Best of luck to you, and hope you find/fix the problem.
Lonestar, Dan the Man and moulip like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.