Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tires, tires, tires!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 01:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb Tires, tires, tires!

Greetings all. Coming off a fun weekend of racing like many of you I’m sure. I’m a rookie with only two races under my belt, but I felt the need to post about the valuable experience I gained at my local track. I’m running an XQ1S with a 21.5 motor and HW Justock ESC. The track is outdoor asphalt.

Saturday practice was pretty good. I spent the whole day doing laps, trying to use better throttle control, adjusting steering curve and learning the braking markers from the veterans. Since I got the car, I’ve been running on used tires graciously given to me by said veterans to practice with (I must have like 10 sets now). They run the gamut of manufactures; Solaris, GQ, Volante, etc. My biggest problem has been losing rear traction in the mid to latter part of the corners. Adjusting the steering curve helped massively, but at the end of the day I still was losing the rear a bit, so I chalked it up to being too aggressive on the throttle. I figured I would use race day practice and qualifying to work on that.

During Sunday qualifying I was way below square one. The car had absolutely no traction in any part of the corners. I had decided to use a brand new set of 36 Shore GQ slicks I bought a few months back that were sitting on the shelf. I thought having fresh rubber would improve traction. Instead, the car was running like there was oil on the track. I was never interested in using traction compound, but I figured I’d give it a try. The only other tires I brought were used and I didn’t know how they would hold up during a race. We tried different compounds, putting them on warmers and baking them in my truck. Still no improvement. After the end my last heat, one of the vets reduced my downs stops to control weight transfer. It helped a little but not enough. Then one the guys let me try a set of his tires he ran some great laps with earlier to see if they would help. I put them on, cleaned them off and hit the track while it was open.

The car was on rails! I shaved 2 seconds of my best time on other used but good tires. After 4 laps I was satisfied. Just in time before the mains started. I took 2nd in novice and couldn’t be happier. I never thought tires could make such a huge difference in on-road R/C racing. Back in the pits I learned the GQ tires I was using had red inserts and were notorious for taking ages to break in. The new 36 Shores have a black insert and are a big improvement.

To sum up, I’ll never underestimate tire choice or prep again and I’ll always be thankful to all the experienced racers at my local for sharing their knowledge and parts to get me where I am now.
Gyosho likes this.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Soul Surfer
Greetings all. Coming off a fun weekend of racing like many of you I’m sure. I’m a rookie with only two races under my belt, but I felt the need to post about the valuable experience I gained at my local track. I’m running an XQ1S with a 21.5 motor and HW Justock ESC. The track is outdoor asphalt.

Saturday practice was pretty good. I spent the whole day doing laps, trying to use better throttle control, adjusting steering curve and learning the braking markers from the veterans. Since I got the car, I’ve been running on used tires graciously given to me by said veterans to practice with (I must have like 10 sets now). They run the gamut of manufactures; Solaris, GQ, Volante, etc. My biggest problem has been losing rear traction in the mid to latter part of the corners. Adjusting the steering curve helped massively, but at the end of the day I still was losing the rear a bit, so I chalked it up to being too aggressive on the throttle. I figured I would use race day practice and qualifying to work on that.

During Sunday qualifying I was way below square one. The car had absolutely no traction in any part of the corners. I had decided to use a brand new set of 36 Shore GQ slicks I bought a few months back that were sitting on the shelf. I thought having fresh rubber would improve traction. Instead, the car was running like there was oil on the track. I was never interested in using traction compound, but I figured I’d give it a try. The only other tires I brought were used and I didn’t know how they would hold up during a race. We tried different compounds, putting them on warmers and baking them in my truck. Still no improvement. After the end my last heat, one of the vets reduced my downs stops to control weight transfer. It helped a little but not enough. Then one the guys let me try a set of his tires he ran some great laps with earlier to see if they would help. I put them on, cleaned them off and hit the track while it was open.

The car was on rails! I shaved 2 seconds of my best time on other used but good tires. After 4 laps I was satisfied. Just in time before the mains started. I took 2nd in novice and couldn’t be happier. I never thought tires could make such a huge difference in on-road R/C racing. Back in the pits I learned the GQ tires I was using had red inserts and were notorious for taking ages to break in. The new 36 Shores have a black insert and are a big improvement.

To sum up, I’ll never underestimate tire choice or prep again and I’ll always be thankful to all the experienced racers at my local for sharing their knowledge and parts to get me where I am now.
you must have raced at Valkaria , Yes the newer batch of GQ's are alot better , mighty griper yellow seems to work very well with them
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
you must have raced at Valkaria , Yes the newer batch of GQ's are alot better , mighty griper yellow seems to work very well with them
Yep, Valkaria all the way! Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into getting some. I did pick up a set of the black inserts yesterday. I just wish I knew about all that before I slid wide and scratched the brand new body I was up till 6 in the morning preparing!

dawgmeat and Gyosho like this.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Soul Surfer
Yep, Valkaria all the way! Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into getting some. I did pick up a set of the black inserts yesterday. I just wish I knew about all that before I slid wide and scratched the brand new body I was up till 6 in the morning preparing!

hers is the part #GQ-R901R-24IM-DWH-36
GQ 180R901R - 24 Insert Medium - Disc Hard Wheel - Shore 36
Old 07-26-2021, 04:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Make sure you hide them when you get them. I was at the end of the table listening - I know you know what I mean. I had many types of rubber tire traction you could have tried. Just ask me anytime.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

If you built the xq1s per the kit, the rear diff may be too stiff for some. Makes you slide on power. Also used tc tires fall off after the fast guys are done with them (then you get them free).
Old 07-27-2021, 03:13 AM
Tech Adept

What was your tyre Prep , if out bag slapped on car with bit of additive then could take a few laps to a Run to grip up as the tyre will still have the center bead and release agents on surface
Old 07-27-2021, 06:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by r_lud
What was your tyre Prep , if out bag slapped on car with bit of additive then could take a few laps to a Run to grip up as the tyre will still have the center bead and release agents on surface
Additive was applied (not sure which), warmers were put on and tires were even baked smoking hot with additive in a ziplock bag inside my vehicle. At the end of Q3 they had over 30 laps on them and still hadn't improved noticeably. Several experienced racers told me those older versions of the GQ's are notoriously hard to break in. They get there, but not within 30 laps apparently. That's the reason they switched to other brands, specifically Team Powers. Those are what I got my podium with.
r_lud likes this.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Never underestimate tyres. They're the single biggest factor for grip.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Never underestimate tyres. They're the single biggest factor for grip.
^^^THIS

​​​​​​I ran a brand new set of tires that shall not be named my last race. Rear stability issues all over the place. Kept wrenching wrenching and wrenching. Tried a different set of tires for the main and boom the car was fine and I was on pace with the top guys. Next time I will definitely try a different set if I am fighting a car that doesn't have anything visibly wrong with it.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Shane giving a big smile after his podium finish. I enjoyed pitting next to you Shane. I hope to see you there next month.

dawgmeat, JoshuaRC10 and oldfool like this.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by HenryC
Shane giving a big smile after his podium finish. I enjoyed pitting next to you Shane. I hope to see you there next month.
It was fun sharing a table with you too, brother! =*==
Old 07-28-2021, 02:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BEMO2019
^^^THIS

​​​​​​I ran a brand new set of tires that shall not be named my last race. Rear stability issues all over the place. Kept wrenching wrenching and wrenching. Tried a different set of tires for the main and boom the car was fine and I was on pace with the top guys. Next time I will definitely try a different set if I am fighting a car that doesn't have anything visibly wrong with it.
Please name the tires; first-hand info like yours is invaluable!

Last edited by garnt; 07-28-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow, What a huge pile of secrets in this topic lol
Old 07-28-2021, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by garnt
Please name the tires; first-hand info like yours is invaluable!
I do not feel that it is appropriate to name names when all tire manufacturers are struggling with supply chain issues. Also it's not just one brand that has issues these days.
gigaplex and garnt like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.