Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ride hight Q

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 12:10 AM
Tech Elite

Default Ride hight Q

I'm planning on lowering my car a bit tonight. From 5 mm to 4 mm.

I'm a little curious already, what handling changes can I aspect?

I'm also planning on lowering my RX with approx. 1 cm, and switching from a RX @ 30 grams to another @ 13 grams.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:48 AM
Tech Adept

by dropping the ride height, theoretically the handling will be sharper. the turn in and exit speeds should be greater because the forces required to alter the yaw of the car are less.

However if you can actually feel the difference then you must be exceptionally good!

the receiver difference will make more of a difference because the inertia in the vertical sense is reduced. Inertia is based on weight and distance from the pivot point. Your reducing both so they compound each other. Hence under braking you should notice a difference and probably through a chicane you'd also notice a difference.

again this is based on theory!

have a ncie day

sanj
Old 12-18-2002, 06:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Yep, its a good idea to re-check your tweak also when you lighten up part of the car.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks.

Somewhere I read, that ride hight dont matter THAT much, because the weight are lowered, but so are the roll center. And what really makes a difference, is the relation between CG and roll center. I havent tried it, so I just want to ask others.

My car drives good for the moment. So I dont think I want the work with changing the ride hight. Because I'll have to re-adjust toe, camber and droop. Especially the droop adjustment are pretty time consumpting on my car.

But I think I will try out the RX experiment.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

well if you lower the ride height, the roll center and c of g drop anyway. the closer it is to the ground the smaller forces are required to make your car corner.

so you should be able to corner quicker. but its not a simple as that, as there is a balance to be found between front and rear.

hope this helps

sanj
Old 12-18-2002, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Default Lowering a Chassis

Cole;

If you lower your ride height by changing spring preload (the correct way) then your Droop will increase by the same amount. Just something to take into consideration.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

If your car felt like it was gonna flip over before, it probably wont feel that way now. Ride height doesnt realy matter unless you get to the point where your tires grip well enough for your car to traction roll.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

While we're on that subject... roll centers! I'm trying to figure them out...

I run a touring car on ozite, rubber tire - so, imagine it, it's about as low a traction situation as you can imagine.

I've heard the "theory" that for a low-traction situation like that, I should RAISE the roll center as high as the chassis allows. Vice versa - when I happen to run foam tire on ozite (obviously higher traction than rubber tire), I should "slam" my roll-center as low as possible...

True??? Any opinions, comments, etc?
Old 12-18-2002, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

that seems like it would be more correct for center of gravity, not roll center. A higher roll center has more resistance to roll thus less body roll and would be better on higher grip tracks.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

yeah stogie, that sounds backwards. just like softer setup prevails in low grip situations, lower roll center seems to help as well. a low rollcenter is typically slower to transition, and therefore more predictable. the chassis roll allows the change in weight distribution to happen over a longer period of time so as not to break the tires loose. kind of weird to raise the roll center and go softer. they seem to oppose each other. but cars have more kinematics than that going on at all times, so unorthodox setups can often work well. as we all know theory is all fine and dandy, but this hobby seems to be dominated by empiricism.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

cole, judging by your thing at the bottom of the post your running the pro 2. i remember back in the day that penguin made this plate kinda deal that would go under the bulkheads. it would lower the ride height but not change the rest of your setup and it would also give you a higher roll centre. it was hella cheap aswell like a few bucks. that used to be the hot setup for high traction tracks.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

I think those plates you are talking about kept the roll center from changing. The plates allowed you to lower the chassis(and CG) while keeping the suspensin from being fudged up vs. the old way.

Last edited by Racing4Evo; 12-18-2002 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hey evo, i dig your signature, or whatever that lower portion is called. true.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

From my own experience, stick with low roll center on a low grip track, the high roll setup seem to me is only advantageous in high grip conditions.

As for ride height, it does have an impact on how your car handles. I usually setup my car (414M2) with the nose slightly lower than the rear. This gives me slightly more steering and also quicker weight transfer from rear to the front under braking. However, this is just my preference on how I like the car to handle. Most racers either have the nose pointing down slightly or level front to rear...I rarely see racers with higher front ride height than the rear.

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
Old 12-19-2002, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Seaball.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.