Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Has Tamiya killed any hope of AE making another On road car? >

Has Tamiya killed any hope of AE making another On road car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree97Likes

Has Tamiya killed any hope of AE making another On road car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bashin140
Let's not forget that AE lost many of their molds as suppliers went bankrupt during this pandemic. Might that be the root cause of this business decision? Or is AE currently 'following the money' until suppliers are contracted and on-road molds produced?
I would be surprised to hear that is the case, as current owner Thunder Tiger is from Taiwan, and I thought they did all the molding.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Nope. I switched from AE to Xpress, but I'm pretty much the only one in my area that did. The other guys went Xray or Schumacher or Serpent.
I switched from ae to 3racing back in 2014 and never looked back, love the budget racers. Recently added Xpress to my garage
Old 12-17-2020, 03:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tremor24
Tamiya's top level TCs have not beat AE at any big race for highest position. Not even many at all in any A mains in the US for years (including California as you mentioned)
Inline to your own statement about Reinhard winning with a HotBodies, it has more to do with drivers than the car.

When AE was in TC, majority ran the car as it was US based, track hobby shops carried the car and spares. So just in sheer numbers / statistics it had great possibly of winning at those events. Factor in the number of local sponsored drivers and the odds of a Tamiya podium diminishes further.

As far as the cars are concerned.. in the past decade, Xray and Yokomo are the ones that come up with new features and both AE and Tamiya were always a step behind. I don’t list AMX as I consider them in a league of their own.

Additionally, comparing the last iteration of TC7.2 versus the 419XR.. the AE had nothing up on the Tamiya.
Dan and moparSRT like this.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:12 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Next thread topic.

Has Honda killed any hope of Jeep making a sedan?
Old 12-17-2020, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Good read here, a few things come to mind. The closest thing to a Tamiya car Associated built was the apex touring, and it was a pile. Also not real sure if the tc7.2 will still be all that competitive for years to come, were headed to all aluminum chassis/mid motor for everything unless people stop wanting tracks with mega grip surfaces. Last thought is AE simply wasn't going to stay with onroad just for the purists, it's about sales at the end of the day. I wouldn't say never making an onroad car again but definitely not when demand is low. I'd bet they're making good money selling those sc10's with drag bodies....because that's where the money is right now.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
Good read here, a few things come to mind. The closest thing to a Tamiya car Associated built was the apex touring, and it was a pile. Also not real sure if the tc7.2 will still be all that competitive for years to come, were headed to all aluminum chassis/mid motor for everything unless people stop wanting tracks with mega grip surfaces. Last thought is AE simply wasn't going to stay with onroad just for the purists, it's about sales at the end of the day. I wouldn't say never making an onroad car again but definitely not when demand is low. I'd bet they're making good money selling those sc10's with drag bodies....because that's where the money is right now.
Totally a business decision and what area money can be made in.
skater-deez1 likes this.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Inline to your own statement about Reinhard winning with a HotBodies, it has more to do with drivers than the car.

When AE was in TC, majority ran the car as it was US based, track hobby shops carried the car and spares. So just in sheer numbers / statistics it had great possibly of winning at those events. Factor in the number of local sponsored drivers and the odds of a Tamiya podium diminishes further.

As far as the cars are concerned.. in the past decade, Xray and Yokomo are the ones that come up with new features and both AE and Tamiya were always a step behind. I don’t list AMX as I consider them in a league of their own.

Additionally, comparing the last iteration of TC7.2 versus the 419XR.. the AE had nothing up on the Tamiya.
I wasn't intending to say that Tamiya cars have inferior potential compared to AE if I gave that impression, just that they were not simply superior and didn't push AE out of onroad as the OP stated. The Tamiya updates are less "proven" at this point because they have no team racing at a top level to do so.

Sure the availability of AE encouraged the popularity, but I was running Tamiya until they ended the TRF team. I'm not interested in a car that is unable to prove competitive viability/benefit of any features besides on a drawing board, or solely on my own.

Interesting to say X-ray and Yokomo come up with more new features than AE or Tamiya though. Most major feature updates used on most TCs in the past few years have been Awesomatix innovations with each other of the stated companies creating only one or two unique features of their own.

Last edited by Tremor24; 12-17-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:40 AM
Tech Master

The posts in this thread shows how US oriented your view is. In the rest of the world when Associated announced they were pulling out of on-road everyone said "so what?"

Outside of North America Associated has been a very minor player in the market. The big brands in touring car worldwide are firstly Xray and Yokomo, then second tier brands which tend to be more localised are Awesomatix, Infinity, Schumacher and yes,Tamiya. In 1/12 Associated hasn't been a competitive brand since the L4, the go to 1/12 cars are Xray, Roche, CRC. Schumacher and Yokomo. Associated came very late to the F1 market, while US racers might have rushed out to buy one the rest of the world didn't. Why buy an Associated F1 when the races are being dominated by Xray, with Serpent, Infinity, Charisma, CRC and Roche cars all being competitive.

For the rest of the world Associated hasn't been seen as a competitive option for on-road for years, and they aren't maximising their resources producing cars that are only going to sell in limited numbers in one country. Associated have a limited number of designers available, they have taken the decision that instead of them spending their time developing another 1/12 or touring car that's going to sell in relatively small numbers they are better off developing stuff like the DR10 and SR10, which are going to dominate those classes in sales numbers. Why waste warehouse space keeping parts in stock for a car that sells in limited numbers when that shelf space could hold parts for new cars that will sell well instead. Even for none racers the SR10 and DR10 are going to appeal to bashers as fun cars, while none of them are going to buy a TC7 or RC12R6.
The RC industry as a whole is contracting right now, many companies have disappeared. Associated are just replacing an unprofitable section of their business with something that's going to be more successful.
Qatmix, Mitamiya, dman18t and 4 others like this.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
The posts in this thread shows how US oriented your view is. In the rest of the world when Associated announced they were pulling out of on-road everyone said "so what?"

Outside of North America Associated has been a very minor player in the market. The big brands in touring car worldwide are firstly Xray and Yokomo, then second tier brands which tend to be more localised are Awesomatix, Infinity, Schumacher and yes,Tamiya. In 1/12 Associated hasn't been a competitive brand since the L4, the go to 1/12 cars are Xray, Roche, CRC. Schumacher and Yokomo. Associated came very late to the F1 market, while US racers might have rushed out to buy one the rest of the world didn't. Why buy an Associated F1 when the races are being dominated by Xray, with Serpent, Infinity, Charisma, CRC and Roche cars all being competitive.

For the rest of the world Associated hasn't been seen as a competitive option for on-road for years, and they aren't maximising their resources producing cars that are only going to sell in limited numbers in one country. Associated have a limited number of designers available, they have taken the decision that instead of them spending their time developing another 1/12 or touring car that's going to sell in relatively small numbers they are better off developing stuff like the DR10 and SR10, which are going to dominate those classes in sales numbers. Why waste warehouse space keeping parts in stock for a car that sells in limited numbers when that shelf space could hold parts for new cars that will sell well instead. Even for none racers the SR10 and DR10 are going to appeal to bashers as fun cars, while none of them are going to buy a TC7 or RC12R6.
The RC industry as a whole is contracting right now, many companies have disappeared. Associated are just replacing an unprofitable section of their business with something that's going to be more successful.
To be fair, it’s difficult to see things from an outside view when most of will never get to Europe. I believe that it’s well know that outside the States, Tamiya is a far bigger brand. Kinda why so many of cue found the post to be a very strange question
Tremor24 likes this.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:06 AM
Tech Addict

A bit inappropriate analogy is Tamiya is like Toyota, who makes all sorts of cars (models) and sell it to everywhere. Whereas Associated is GMC, mainly focusing on the United States and focusing onTrucks and SUV(off road).
Old 12-19-2020, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I remember catching a fellow Amx800 driver with my badly setup Ft tc4.2 : the old AE stuff can still cut it with a little attention...Tamiya has not killed any hope for an AE comeback kit....
Old 12-20-2020, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Look at the 3 biggest RC brands in the US: AE, Losi/TLR and Traxxas. Losi/TLR hasn't been in the onroad since....I really don't know it's before my time in the hobby, 10+ years. Traxxas has the 4TEC, but I'm guessing it's less than 2% of their product sales. And then you had AE who did a good job of making both. Talking to the owner of the local Hobbytown, he told me they would sell maybe 1 onroad car for every 10-20 offroad. Most customers where crawlers (in recent years) or bashers.

So when you look at demand, there's just isn't as much onroad business. And considering outside this pandemic, the RC industry hasn't been doing well, it's no surprise AE exited that business. Especially when they were purchased by another company. In business you have to go where the customers are.

Tamiya is fairly diversified and has a good long standing reputation. This can be seen, by the fact they keep releasing classic and comical series. Can you imagine if AE released something like the Lunchbox mini? I think they would be laughed at. But Tamiya releases it and it's popular.

Also when you look globally, the growth market is Asia. Which brands are common, popular and available in Asia? Some I've barely heard of because they aren't widely distributed here in the US and some I've never heard of like Infinity.

But on the positive side, that opens the door for other smaller brands to gain market share and competition drives innovation and competitive prices.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Like i said previously in this thread it was toatally a business decision. Gotta go where you make the money. If by some remote chance AE came back into the on-road scene I think I would have a tough time giving up my 3Racing Advance S, and the S64. That's just me though.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by terry.sc

This is quite true. This hobby is a completely different monster in other parts of the world. Here in the U.S., when someone mentions Tamiya, we think of the Frog, the Grasshopper, and scale model cars. When you speak of AE, we think off-road buggies. As I mentioned before, I believe AE got out of on-rad racing for the same reason Tamiya got out of off-road racing.

As for Honda and Jeep,
I think Jeep ruined their own chances. They make a better off-road car than an on-road car.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
This is quite true. This hobby is a completely different monster in other parts of the world. Here in the U.S., when someone mentions Tamiya, we think of the Frog, the Grasshopper, and scale model cars. When you speak of AE, we think off-road buggies. As I mentioned before, I believe AE got out of on-rad racing for the same reason Tamiya got out of off-road racing.

As for Honda and Jeep,
I think Jeep ruined their own chances. They make a better off-road car than an on-road car.
Put that on Jeep owners. Jeep had said that it’s aware that less then 10 percent of all Jeep’s sold will ever go off road beyond a gravel road. Think they even tried a ad campaign to get people to take there Jeep “off the regular path” in the recent years. It’s just not a realistic option for most. People buy them for the look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.