Foam tires with traction compound.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foam tires with traction compound.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 07:11 AM
Tech Adept

Default Foam tires with traction compound.

The other day I was driving my TC3 and my car just kept sliding on the turns. Then after a while, I found out that my traction compound wasn't working. I was using TQ Racer Plus, and when I touched the foams they felt like grease was on them. This never happened, do you guys know what is wrong? I was using TRC foam tires. Thanks!!!
Old 12-14-2002, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Default Foam sponge

The Foam Tires along with the Traction compound could be acting like little sponges and filling the pores up with dirt and dust. Try removing the tires and washing ALL of the Traction compound out with Dish soap and warm water. Then let them dry thoroughly before remounting and running.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

You do realise that your suposed to wipe the compound off the tires just before you run. If you want you can also just hold your car in place on the track and pull the throtle until you start feeling the car pull.
Old 12-14-2002, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

I tried washing out the tires and it has no effect but that it's just cleaner. And I tried wiping the compound off and doesn't make a difference. It doesn't have the same feeling like the last couple of weeks ago when it had that stickiness feeling.
Old 12-14-2002, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Default Slimey Foam Tires

Lilshortyc3;

Well Foams are only designed to work on CLEAN surfaces. I still bet that they are loaded up with dust and traction compound. Have you tried cleaning them with some Electric Motor spray? That should be strong enough to remove the crap inside the cells of the foam. Never really heard of that problem before.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

I tried the motor spray all over the foam tires and they still felt the same way, couldn't it be the traction compound. It has been in my tool box for a couple of weeks.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Default Motor spray for cleaning.

Don't just spray them, spray then until they're soaked then use a rag to wipe/force out all of the traction compound. What was the surface like that you were running on? Was it dusty?
Old 12-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Tech Adept

I sprayed it all over the tires until they were soaked then I dried it out with a rag by putting it in a rag and squeezing the foams. The track wasn't really that dusty but I had a lot of hairs of the track. If you want, I can try again.

Last edited by lilshortyc3; 12-14-2002 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Default Don't know what else to do

I'm stumped, You might try in the Nitro Forums. Nitro guys tend to run foams more often than electric. Maybe someone there has heard of your your problem.

Last edited by popsracer; 12-14-2002 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i've used the tq brand for most of the winter so far. though, i've never had that problem, i have found that too much compound will gunk up the tires and reduce traction. the aforementioned solutions posted by pops have always worked though. i will say that the paragon sauce works much better. maybe try that as you've seemed to exhaust the cleaning posibilities. the tq shouldn't go bad for a long time. if the can was already old, just pitch it and start over with the paragon. can't go wrong with that. other than that, i dunno.
Old 12-14-2002, 06:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I dont know if its considered a bad thing but back when I ran foams, I would use Rubbing alcohol from the drug store. It is much cheaper than motor spray and cleans the tires really really well.

Blake
Old 12-14-2002, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Default Rubbing alcohol

BlakesRC;

Motor spray is about the ONLY thing that will clean the goo out of an Air Filter that's been oiled with Filter oil. If that doesn't get the crap out of his tires I don'tthink anything will.

MORAL; Don't use Traction compound with Foam tires on a Dusty track.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

lighter fluid is also very good for that application, as well as cleaning bearings and anything greasy. it's really popular around here, and almost anything is cheaper than contact cleaner/motor spray.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:20 AM
Tech Adept

Some of the TQ products seperate in the can. The + version has a thicker kerosine (spelling?) oil substace in it that I noticed was forming on the applicator. Make sure to mix up your tire sause good. If you are reaching the bottom of the can and haven't been mixing it, then you probably have a bad can of it and should replace it.

There's a product out there from Corally called "Jack da gripper". This stuff is clear, very thin, almost odorless, and works quite well. I strongly recommed that people try it.

It's also possible that your track surface has a buildup of traction compound to where it cannot absorb any more? Put your hand on it and see if you feel moisture. If this is the case, you may not want to use compound on your tires.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Default RE: cyclonus

You arent supposed to wipe the compund off u let it soak into the tyre

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.