Been out for a while. Whats new in electronics? 12th, F1, TC

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dman18t

Been out for a while. Whats new in electronics? 12th, F1, TC

Old 06-16-2020, 11:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Questions?? Been out for a while. Whats new in electronics? 12th, F1, TC

As the title says i've been out for a while (3 years) and would like to get back in. I still have all my old cars which I plan on keeping as the updated versions don't add enough to justify buying an all new fleet. What i've been having a hard time finding is what's new with electronics. I run 8th GT8E with HW XR8 and Tekin T8 in it. From what I can tell those are still a good option. The real question is in my 12th pan car, 10th F1 and TC. In those I use HW 1s V3.1 or HW Juststock. For motors I use Trinity 24k 25.5 and Tekin G8 17.5. Are those still a competitive option? I know the Juststock isn't the nicest option but it was cheap. Is there anything newer and better (game changing) that I should look at getting? Fanboys chime in lol.

In summary:
Are there any new motors that blow those out of the water?
Is there any new ESC brand I should start giving my life to?
Is what I have still competitive?
Old 06-16-2020, 01:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

i Would say everything you have is still good and competitive with the exception of your 17.5 and 25.5 motors. Get a current generation 17.5 or at least a 1 generation old 17.5 and you will be good to go
Old 06-16-2020, 10:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by riceball777
i Would say everything you have is still good and competitive with the exception of your 17.5 and 25.5 motors. Get a current generation 17.5 or at least a 1 generation old 17.5 and you will be good to go
Thanks! Do you have any recommendations?
Old 06-17-2020, 08:28 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

R1 Wurks, Team Scream, Motiv are fairly proven.

There are other brands too but the above are some of the more common ones at my track.

For ESCs, I ilke the Hobbywing XR10 Pro Stock Spec 2S. Tiny, reliable, lots of features, can handle spec motors just fine. I run it in nearly all my cars.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Dan
R1 Wurks, Team Scream, Motiv are fairly proven.

There are other brands too but the above are some of the more common ones at my track.

For ESCs, I ilke the Hobbywing XR10 Pro Stock Spec 2S. Tiny, reliable, lots of features, can handle spec motors just fine. I run it in nearly all my cars.
I've heard a lot about Motiv. Ill have to look at what they offer. Thanks for those others though. I had heard of them but not if they were any good. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ominex
I've heard a lot about Motiv. Ill have to look at what they offer. Thanks for those others though. I had heard of them but not if they were any good. Thanks for the help!
Motiv is fairly common in my area. Especially since they are based in Wisconsin, Iím in Chicagoland. They make the spec motor for USGT. Iím using the 25.5 for VTA. I had been hearing that VTA will be moving to a spec motor next year.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

I can only speak to F1 (25.5) , what you have will be fine. 25.5 didn't go crazy like 21.5 motors. Besides F1 is all about tires and smooth driving. Low CG shorty packs are recent, can make a big difference for F1. I use the newer SMC and Orion lcg packs, really good bang for buck and in no way slow.
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by dman18t
I can only speak to F1 (25.5) , what you have will be fine. 25.5 didn't go crazy like 21.5 motors. Besides F1 is all about tires and smooth driving. Low CG shorty packs are recent, can make a big difference for F1. I use the newer SMC and Orion lcg packs, really good bang for buck and in no way slow.
I saw a few of those and mistook them for 1s 12th at first. Ill need to get one or two cause I can only imagine how much that helps. Good to know on the F1 motors though as its one less thing ill need to upgrade. Before my hiatus F1 was one of my only cars with all new electronics.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

Don't get me wrong, a good motor helps but it's less of an issue compared to other classes. Track layout plays a big role too. If I was in your shoes, use what you got for now and pick away over the course of a season as you find what's holding you back.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by dman18t
Don't get me wrong, a good motor helps but it's less of an issue compared to other classes. Track layout plays a big role too. If I was in your shoes, use what you got for now and pick away over the course of a season as you find what's holding you back.
Thanks for that! So far that seems like my current course of action. I had everything mostly dialed in originally so it will probably be best to stick with what i've got unless I'm considerably slower than everyone else.