Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Mid-motor touring cars. Legit faster or fad? >

Mid-motor touring cars. Legit faster or fad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree182Likes

Mid-motor touring cars. Legit faster or fad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 05:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush

Preference of one over the other is fine, and if you think the rear motor car is better for you, then you have to run what is best for you. Lap times never lie.

However saying that a rear motor car has more twisting motion than a center spur gear car is not entirely accurate. This is going to be entirely dependent on motor mount top deck and design. For example, our car twist far more with the new layout than the old layout. (It twists more towards bulkheads though vs the rear motor is towards center and front). The zero tribe kits I have played with have more flex than a standard x-ray. I will say that the Awesomatix feels fairly stiff but that’s probably due to the design of the really wide top deck and really thick material.

Regardless of which twists more, your statement was that a rear motor car has more flex possibilities. I can’t say that this is the case. Flex adjustment possibilities are about the same and really chassis dependent, but the areas you can isolate are perhaps a little bit different. A rear motor car limits the amount of flex you can have around the rear bulkhead though and it seems, based on recent set ups, that this type of flex seems to be a positive development that provides better rotation on power and stability off power.

This! I am agree with Christian here, given from racing 1:8 IC (my primary class) when the cars rear bulkheads started to evolve away from a one piece solid assembly into Spool Support, separate layshaft support and such to gain more flex and grip to the rear of the car, it made a huge difference, granted 1:8 IC generates a Ton of grip, but with that it made the cars easier to drive hard and not worry about not being able to lay down the power. I am sure that with the Mid Motor setup, it offers much more in the way of gaining more tuneable flex to the rear of the chassis, and with that get a more balanced feeling of the chassis.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mac853
Really?
I saw 1 driver setup sheet mentioned to run 125K diff oil but in T4 mid motor and also driver with another chassis but i forget which one.

Then i hear also to use stiffer rear spring.

I guess is related with different driving style and different chassis.

Thanks for reply!
A mid motor car tunes similar to a rear motor car in most ways, the rear spring is not an exception to this. If theyre running a rear spring that is stiffer, they likely feel that the car has gained too much rotation, it could also be used for a few different things and gain rotation back in other ways.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mac853
Really?
I saw 1 driver setup sheet mentioned to run 125K diff oil but in T4 mid motor and also driver with another chassis but i forget which one.

Then i hear also to use stiffer rear spring.

I guess is related with different driving style and different chassis.

Thanks for reply!
I can only tell you what I observed on my car at my track, keeping everything the same. The car actually rotates perfectly going in and coming
out of the corner. Also, this is a 17.5 car with 6K in the diff.

Last edited by tbrymer; 09-05-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA

Back in the days ..I use to own this Ova Cocoon CL03
I don't know...fast or fiction.I like that motor and battery set up but that servo set up is wild.Way to much weight way to high.I have a T.C. that is built for a saddle pack. Motor is right in front of the rear axle.saddle pack is back as far as it can be. I like this set up. just switched to brushless. I need to test drive again. It was intended to be an AWD but running it RWD.Parts are impossible to find.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Is there a aluminum chassis for any of the existing conversion?
Old 09-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Airwave
ARC has an aluminum mid motor chassis.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

...let me chime in on this conversation a little. This is my TA07 Pro with the mid motor set up. 21.5 touring car class (not USGT) and I was too lazy to paint up a sedan body. And my TRF419X at the time was still new in the box (to lazy to build it at the time). The picture was my race result in the A-main. For me, I think it was more balanced front to back for my driving style.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeyE
...let me chime in on this conversation a little. This is my TA07 Pro with the mid motor set up. 21.5 touring car class (not USGT) and I was too lazy to paint up a sedan body. And my TRF419X at the time was still new in the box (to lazy to build it at the time). The picture was my race result in the A-main. For me, I think it was more balanced front to back for my driving style.

The TA07 is a single belt, so the "mid motor" characteristics of it are going to be different to the dual belt "mid motor" arrangements. One of the touted features of the new arrangement is equal length belts for more even power distribution, but you don't get that with the single belt. Torque will always be applied to the rear diff before the front diff on the TA07 during acceleration, and vice versa when braking.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1spunspur
I don't know...fast or fiction.I like that motor and battery set up but that servo set up is wild.Way to much weight way to high.I have a T.C. that is built for a saddle pack. Motor is right in front of the rear axle.saddle pack is back as far as it can be. I like this set up. just switched to brushless. I need to test drive again. It was intended to be an AWD but running it RWD.Parts are impossible to find.
Got any photos or model name?
Old 09-05-2019, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JoeyE

Just curious, where did you mount the motor ? Full forward, mid or full rearward ?
Thanks.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:56 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1spunspur
Hi
I did mounted the servo c/t bottom chassis ..like regulars standard 12th scale steering configuration ..to reduce C/G
I was only one in the us had this baby and it took me almost 8 months to get the car to works perfect on carpet
you cant break this car ..the A arm make of High-Density Polyethylene plastic ..you will never break arm or hub and front knuckle
Old 09-06-2019, 05:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Airwave
RSD or Christian Tabush has an aluminum chassis for the xray, I would also imagine he has one for the AE, but I am not 100% on that. I believe it works with a few of the kits out there, and offers a few unique features that others dont. Message him for details.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:09 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Loved the Schumacher SST Axis Pro back in the day

Lonestar and chrisimp like this.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Speed Chaser
Got any photos or model name?

Old 09-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

I think it's an Xpress.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.