Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree24Likes

Tamiya TT-02S or TT-02RR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Yep, the TT02S is a better base. Although if you are just going to bash it around and want to raise it for rally the TT02RR is good as you can run it in the higher configuration. This is not possible for the TT02S.

i have to admit, despite having top end cars, I still really enjoy running and racing the TT02’s
Old 07-03-2019, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wtcc
I would go for an S and then add the motor mount, speed gearing and steering rack, or do no tuning and drive it box stock. The RR diffs are a pain and leak badly...
That is unfortunate. Do you know what's wrong with the RR diffs that causes them to leak?
Old 07-03-2019, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The inner shim between the outdrive pin and the housing is not there (like in every other sealed diff we know) and the o-ring has the wrong size. Messing around with green slime will help two or three runs. Then the oil will fly around in your car
Old 07-04-2019, 01:30 AM
Tech Champion

So the diffs need TRF o-rings and a shim kit? That's not too bad, though it's irritating those parts aren't included.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You are overthinking this. If you want a fun car to bash with, then just get the RR. If you want something that will be competitive, look elsewhere. The TT-02S has a bunch of expensive, one-off parts made to retrofit the OLD long arm suspension (probably to get rid of old stock). I've been at this crossroad when I bought my 7-year old his 1st RC to race with. I chose the regular TT-02 over the S.... the RR was not available then or I would have bought that.

- Jose
Old 07-04-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ittjv
You are overthinking this. If you want a fun car to bash with, then just get the RR. If you want something that will be competitive, look elsewhere. The TT-02S has a bunch of expensive, one-off parts made to retrofit the OLD long arm suspension (probably to get rid of old stock). I've been at this crossroad when I bought my 7-year old his 1st RC to race with. I chose the regular TT-02 over the S.... the RR was not available then or I would have bought that.

- Jose
But for someone who likes building and testing aside from driving, it's an achievement. The R&D of the build is where the fun begins. The result is the reward.

Have you seen wtcc'S TT02KR yet? If not, then you should. Been following that build and is IMPRESSIVE!
Old 07-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, I saw that one.

I dunno. While the TT-02RR seems interesting, it sounds like it's still cheap in a few significant and hard-to-fix ways. Maybe I'll just get another TB-04R and build that instead; I know from experience that car requires no upgrades or custom mods to work correctly.
Nicadrauspro4 likes this.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Maybe I'll just get another TB-04R and build that instead;
The irresistible one.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:32 AM
Tech Champion

There's no reason to resist the TB-04R; it performs well and is a completely drama-free vehicle. It "just works". But I already have one, which makes it somewhat less interesting to build another than to build a TT-02. But I also don't want to get stuck with a vehicle that I might wish I hadn't spent the time to build and money to upgrade.

Maybe I'll wait another month and see if I still care.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:12 AM
Tech Champion

Is there a reason you're restricting your options to Tamiya only? What are your actual requirements?
Old 07-05-2019, 02:52 AM
Tech Champion

Because Tamiya offers a bunch of kits that are somewhere between cheap RTRs and all-out track racing cars, which means I can get a nice car that doesn't require special care. (aside from concerns about chipping carbon-fiber chassis, I really hate how much extra cleaning is necessary for flat chassis vs. tub chassis. flat chassis accumulate dirt, sand, and pebbles so much faster.) Also, I have an entire Banker's Box full of Tamiya spare parts, so buying another Tamiya means I wouldn't need to hurry up and buy spare parts before they inevitably get discontinued. It lowers the cost of operation and maintenance.
Nicadrauspro4 and jgil089 like this.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

Because Tamiya offers a bunch of kits that are somewhere between cheap RTRs and all-out track racing cars, which means I can get a nice car that doesn't require special care. (aside from concerns about chipping carbon-fiber chassis, I really hate how much extra cleaning is necessary for flat chassis vs. tub chassis. flat chassis accumulate dirt, sand, and pebbles so much faster.) Also, I have an entire Banker's Box full of Tamiya spare parts, so buying another Tamiya means I wouldn't need to hurry up and buy spare parts before they inevitably get discontinued. It lowers the cost of operation and maintenance.
I don't bother cleaning my cars and they don't get that dirty. I don't see how pebbles would accumulate on a flat plate. I have more issue with debris collecting in the crevices of my M07 tub than my touring cars. The XQ1S is a great performer and is dirt cheap. What kind of surface will you be driving on?
Old 07-06-2019, 01:00 AM
Tech Champion

Unswept asphalt with cracks, loose grit, and god-knows-how-much sticky rubber tire dust. My FF-04 got filthy every time I ran it; my tub chassis cars don't.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:48 AM
Tech Champion

Unswept asphalt with cracks, loose grit, and god-knows-how-much sticky rubber tire dust. My FF-04 got filthy every time I ran it; my tub chassis cars don't.
If your budget allows it, I think you'd find the TB05 much more rewarding than the TT02 cars.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, my budget allows it. I haven't built a RC in months. Mostly I was intrigued by the appearance of a "RR" version of what is normally a very cheap RC car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.