Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TT-02S or TT-02RR? >

Tamiya TT-02S or TT-02RR?

Like Tree24Likes

Tamiya TT-02S or TT-02RR?

Old 06-30-2019, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Default Tamiya TT-02S or TT-02RR?

I'm getting the urge to build a kit, and the Tamiya TT-02 is nice and affordable. But I see there are two premium versions, the TT-02S and the TT-02RR. It looks like the S version has a more standard suspension setup that allows more tunability, but I assume the RR version must have its own advantages. (a carbon-reinforced chassis, maybe? I'm not sure.) Which one is a better starting point?
Old 06-30-2019, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

The RR also has tunable suspension and have aluminum center shaft. The S has plastic.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

The center shaft can be upgraded. How is the TT-02RR's suspension more tunable than the TT-02S? It looks like the TT-02S' suspension links use adjustable turnbuckles like a normal touring car. The TT-02S' suspension also has fiber-reinforced damper towers, whereas the TT-02RR's suspension appears to use plain plastic damper towers. Is that incorrect?

Basically I'm trying to figure out if the TT-02RR is really worth $100 more. It looks nice but I'm not sure it actually includes $100 of additional upgrades.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
The center shaft can be upgraded. How is the TT-02RR's suspension more tunable than the TT-02S? It looks like the TT-02S' suspension links use adjustable turnbuckles like a normal touring car. The TT-02S' suspension also has fiber-reinforced damper towers, whereas the TT-02RR's suspension appears to use plain plastic damper towers. Is that incorrect?

Basically I'm trying to figure out if the TT-02RR is really worth $100 more. It looks nice but I'm not sure it actually includes $100 of additional upgrades.
Unless you have a class that specifically needs the TT02 (TCS..) None of the upgraded TT02's are a really good plan. For $85 you can get a "competent" fiber chassis car. $110 if you want a "hey this is pretty nice" one.

So why are you looking at TT02s?
Old 07-01-2019, 01:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

I didn't say that the R has "more" tunable suspension. I said it also has tunable suspension as compared to the stock upper suspension arms of the other TT02 kits. Also aside from the center shaft, it also has aluminum motor mount, aluminum rear uprights and others.

Here are the features of the RR (from Tamiya site)

★Aluminum Rear Uprights (3 Toe-In) ★Aluminum Motor Mount ★TT-02 Aluminum Propeller Joints ★TT-02 Aluminum Propeller Shaft ★TT-02 High-Speed Gear Set ★TT-02 Full Ball Bearing Set ★Metal Drive Shafts, Wheel Axles & Gearbox Joints ★4mm Aluminum Flanged Lock Nuts (Blue) ★5mm Aluminum Short Ball Connector Nuts (Blue) ★5mm Aluminum Ball Connectors (Blue) ★Medium-Narrow Racing Slick Tires ★CVA Dampers & Springs ★Oil-Filled Gear Differentials ★Adjustable Upper Arms

Last edited by Nicadrauspro4; 07-01-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
Not sure why he wants a TT02 but I want one too.

I think the TT02 is a nice shaft kit to mess around. It can be a touring or rally car. I'm planning to build one and use it for rally. As much as I want a better rally car (XV-01), I was never a fan of belt driven cars. When I saw the wtcc's KR version, it urged me even more and I will definitely use a mix of Tamiya (or YR) hop up and KR parts when I get my hands on a TT02.

I don't understand why Tamiya won't release a fully upgraded kit where they can include all the available hop-up option parts and make it the most superior version from the factory. Just like what they do with the rest f the touring cars (TRF, MS, EVO, etc).

Something like this...

Qatmix likes this.

Last edited by Nicadrauspro4; 07-01-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Though I've not personally had one looking at the suspension designs I'd go for the TT02-S
The R's use a design derrived from the standard TT02&1 style suspension with added adjustability
wheras the S uses the same suspension arm and hub layout at the TB04, that is TRF416/7 arms with 418 hubs
I'd think for most use the turnbuckles on the S are easier to adjust than the RR's upper arms as the suspension layout offering more options for being able to add roll centre shims.

I will admit I don't quite understand why the S isn't realsed with the ally prop and oil diff of the RR. However I think the S's suspsenion would have far more potential and fitting the alloy prop and oil diff to an S would be a less drastic change than reconfiguring the suspeion of the RR to match the S
Old 07-01-2019, 02:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

This question is not easy to answer.

The "S" has the better suspension, but lacks a lot of the "RR"'s useful tuning parts:

54500 TT-02 High-Speed Gear Set (68T) (allows you run other spur gears as well, including 48dp and 64dp - in combination with another motor mount)
54501 TT-02 Aluminum Propeller Shaft
54502 TT-02 Aluminum Propeller Joint

and either
54558 TT-02 Alu Motor Mount (Tamiya) - (not fully adjustable, but original Tamiya part - may play a role for some rules)

or
Yeah Racing TT02-013BU - Tamiya TT-02 - Alu Motor Mount - (fully adjustable)

So far, these run for about 40 over here, which is about the price difference of the kits over here as well. The "RR" still has some blue anodized alu wheel nuts, turnbuckles and such, but the "S" has the better suspension at this point. (A little less bling, but more performance.)

But then, the RR still has the harder blue chassis and sealed, oil filled diffs on top. The diffs run for around 25 each - no idea about the chassis (but it's not legal in the racing series I would use a TT-02 in here, anyway).

My personal choice would the "S", as a base, then upgrading the necessary/useful parts, but your mileage may vary.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4 View Post
I don't understand why Tamiya won't release a fully upgraded kit where they can include all the available hop-up option parts and make it the most superior version from the factory. Just like what they do with the rest f the touring cars (TRF, MS, EVO, etc).

Something like this...
Price. Something like that would be extremely expensive, and if you're going to spend that much on a Tamiya shaft drive kit, may as well get a TB05 or Evo 7. The TB05 is probably a better starting point for a rally conversion.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
Unless you have a class that specifically needs the TT02 (TCS..) None of the upgraded TT02's are a really good plan. For $85 you can get a "competent" fiber chassis car. $110 if you want a "hey this is pretty nice" one.

Because I'm bored, and a carbon-fiber chassis car is not a good choice for running on dirty pavement. The carbon fiber will get chipped along the edges, whereas a plastic tub chassis won't suffer any meaningful damage.

Where do you see carbon-fiber chassis kits for $110, anyway? I've never seen them that inexpensive.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

I didn't say that the R has "more" tunable suspension. I said it also has tunable suspension as compared to the stock upper suspension arms of the other TT02 kits. Also aside from the center shaft, it also has aluminum motor mount, aluminum rear uprights and others.

Those upper suspension links look very strange. Why are they so complicated? Are they stiffer, or are they harder to knock out of adjustment, or is there some other reason, or is there no good reason at all?

LOL, only Tamiya would include aluminum wheel hubs alongside phillips-head screws and dogbone axles. What are they thinking? Anyway, I generally don't use aluminum wheel hubs, though I do like aluminum caster blocks, especially if I can find ones with ball-bearing steering pivots.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
This question is not easy to answer.

The "S" has the better suspension, but lacks a lot of the "RR"'s useful tuning parts:

54500 TT-02 High-Speed Gear Set (68T) (allows you run other spur gears as well, including 48dp and 64dp - in combination with another motor mount)
54501 TT-02 Aluminum Propeller Shaft
54502 TT-02 Aluminum Propeller Joint

and either
54558 TT-02 Alu Motor Mount (Tamiya) - (not fully adjustable, but original Tamiya part - may play a role for some rules)

or
Yeah Racing TT02-013BU - Tamiya TT-02 - Alu Motor Mount - (fully adjustable)

So far, these run for about 40 over here, which is about the price difference of the kits over here as well. The "RR" still has some blue anodized alu wheel nuts, turnbuckles and such, but the "S" has the better suspension at this point. (A little less bling, but more performance.)

But then, the RR still has the harder blue chassis and sealed, oil filled diffs on top. The diffs run for around 25 each - no idea about the chassis (but it's not legal in the racing series I would use a TT-02 in here, anyway).

My personal choice would the "S", as a base, then upgrading the necessary/useful parts, but your mileage may vary.
Great. So really, if I wanted all the best OEM parts, I would need to buy both kits and combine them. (I'm sure that special blue chassis has a premium price tag if purchased separately.)

I have a TB-04R, so I can definitely appreciate the suspension on that car. I've never tinkered with the suspension on a TT-02 before; maybe it would be interesting to build a TT-02RR with the special suspension just to see what it's like, and then remove it to install a more normal TB-04 suspension.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Not sure why he wants a TT02 but I want one too.

I think the TT02 is a nice shaft kit to mess around. It can be a touring or rally car. I'm planning to build one and use it for rally. As much as I want a better rally car (XV-01), I was never a fan of belt driven cars. When I saw the wtcc's KR version, it urged me even more and I will definitely use a mix of Tamiya (or YR) hop up and KR parts when I get my hands on a TT02.
If you are considering the XV-01 as a rally car, I can reassure you the belt-drive is not a problem, even driving on dirt. The belt is up above the main part of the chassis, and it's mostly-shrouded, with a small gap at the bottom-front where the belt can sweep dirt out of the shroud. I own 4 XV-01s and I've never had any problems with the belt drive:

Re-Build Complete: Tamiya XV-01
Build Complete: Tamiya RR-01
Build Complete: Tamiya XV-01T "Asterion"
Build Complete: Tamiya XV-01 SH-AWD
Re-Build Complete: Tamiya XV-01 FF
Nicadrauspro4 and angrymelon like this.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:55 PM
Tech Master

Because I'm bored, and a carbon-fiber chassis car is not a good choice for running on dirty pavement. The carbon fiber will get chipped along the edges, whereas a plastic tub chassis won't suffer any meaningful damage.

Where do you see carbon-fiber chassis kits for $110, anyway? I've never seen them that inexpensive.
I said fiber, the Sakura XI Ver.Nu is $110. I didn't say carbon ;-) While the chassis plate isn't the $9 that the TT02 tub is... I can't imagine you'd ever wear it to the point of needing to replace it. That said, I haven't been able to find the blue or white tt02 tubs for love or money for at least six months.

You get a lot more car for the money when you buy the sakura... Or XQ1s. The TT02 has a whole slew of limitations that are built into it. Even attaching the suspension is somewhat compromised.

https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod...asp?p_id=13689 You could buy an extra chassis plate for the difference in price. Or... buy a set of spare knuckles and arms, and actually be ready to race.

That said, bored is a good reason. :-) At that point, who cares about "reasons" do what you think will be fun.
angrymelon likes this.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would go for an S and then add the motor mount, speed gearing and steering rack, or do no tuning and drive it box stock. The RR diffs are a pain and leak badly...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service