Like Tree25Likes

Drag brake

Reply

Old 05-08-2019, 02:55 PM
  #31  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,581
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
we just need to wait for bert's answer
You really want to tickle that dragon?
Marcos.J and skater-deez1 like this.
Nerobro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:26 PM
  #32  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,862
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Come on guys, we all know that 25.5t tc is the next scam, drag brake or not; it does not matter to the 'owners' as long as everybody goes along for the ride without can aming everything.....lol.....
I say no drag brake ever, just 100% brake strength...
CASE CLOSED !!!
bertrandsv87 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:34 PM
  #33  
Tech Master
iTrader: (68)
 
skater-deez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mechanicsburg,Pa
Posts: 1,806
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

Unpopular opinion: 100 brake strength will upset your car because it decelerates too quickly. Noticed a few mod drivers using 40%......but hey more is ALWAYS better......right?
skater-deez1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:10 PM
  #34  
Tech Master
iTrader: (68)
 
skater-deez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mechanicsburg,Pa
Posts: 1,806
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

One "other" area nobody mentioned.....HEAT! Drag brake equals more motor and esc heat. Just something to keep in mind because if you're using high amounts of drag brake and your motor comes off scorching hot you can try backing off a bit.
glennhl and gigaplex like this.
skater-deez1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:05 PM
  #35  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
OttoKrosse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mesa, AZ, USA
Posts: 493
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skater-deez1 View Post
One "other" area nobody mentioned.....HEAT! Drag brake equals more motor and esc heat. Just something to keep in mind because if you're using high amounts of drag brake and your motor comes off scorching hot you can try backing off a bit.
That's a myth, been running tons of drag brake and my motor does not get any hotter than anyone else's at my track running 'normal' amounts of drag brake and manually braking....in fact there have been many cases where others come of hotter than I do.

Since everyone basically brakes at the same turns on the track manual brake should create the same amount of heat....stop drinking the kool aid.
silden likes this.
OttoKrosse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:29 PM
  #36  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
DesertRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sniffin the 'Sauce Fumes
Posts: 3,336
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Personally, I set drag brake with my radio as I can adjust it during practice, which you cant do with the ESC.
DesertRat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:29 AM
  #37  
Tech Master
iTrader: (68)
 
skater-deez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mechanicsburg,Pa
Posts: 1,806
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse View Post
That's a myth, been running tons of drag brake and my motor does not get any hotter than anyone else's at my track running 'normal' amounts of drag brake and manually braking....in fact there have been many cases where others come of hotter than I do.

Since everyone basically brakes at the same turns on the track manual brake should create the same amount of heat....stop drinking the kool aid.
Not kool aid when it's backed up by a temp gun.
skater-deez1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:49 AM
  #38  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (205)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 29,897
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)
Default


Originally Posted by skater-deez1 View Post
Not kool aid when it's backed up by a temp gun.
no need for a temp gun I just hook up my Wifi modules this is from last weekends outdoor race in Florida with about 23% drag brake
Marcos.J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:07 AM
  #39  
Tech Master
iTrader: (68)
 
skater-deez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mechanicsburg,Pa
Posts: 1,806
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

We can just act like things like drivetrain efficiency, types of fans used and individual driving style have no effect.....because i'd guess they're kool aid too. Hey Marcos are their any #'s with zero drag brake to compare to?
skater-deez1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:15 AM
  #40  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (205)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 29,897
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skater-deez1 View Post
We can just act like things like drivetrain efficiency, types of fans used and individual driving style have no effect.....because i'd guess they're kool aid too. Hey Marcos are their any #'s with zero drag brake to compare to?
i can try it this weekend
Marcos.J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:24 AM
  #41  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 2,538
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

If you're using a lot of push brake, then drag brake isn't likely to affect temps much.
gigaplex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:23 AM
  #42  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (13)
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,450
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
How on earth do you figure that 21.5TC is a marketing scam? It's a hell of a lot cheaper to run than the old brushed days, motors last for years. And before you claim that they aren't competitive after a few months, well you just used a 9 year old kid who can barely keep it in the middle of the track as an example. You don't need the fastest motor to keep up against that. My R1 V16 has lasted me quite a while and is still at the pointy end of the field.

Also, at sanctioned events, our 21.5 class is a control motor. No mega spending to keep up. Also, we don't have a 17.5TC class, so dilution isn't an argument against it either.
You missed my point. My point is the same that has been discussed so many times in the past decade or so since the multiplication of the low-speed classes - the only reason these classes exist is that they generate sales. Because as cars get slower in a "controlled" manner, the amount of cash you need to dump in your car to remain at the top of the pack (or believe that you do), all things (read: driving skills) being equal, is getting sillier and sillier. The argument that "but it keeps speed slow so it's good for beginners" is a worn-out smoke screen, because (1) there are too many "experts" in these slow classes (2) I've just proven you that a totally un-talented 9yo can have a truckload of fun in a "fast" class with a detuned fast motor without making his dad feel miserable.

As you pointed out - BL motors almost don't wear out, and they don't generate sales of consumables - this is the very opposite of brushed, where comms would get too small to be ran after a while, and brushes would last a couple of runs at best (god bless for Reedy Quasars and CS Silvers). To make up for the cash inflow drought, manufacturers pushed for the creation of the multitude of classes we are seeing today. This is actually very smart, first it creates an initial sales boost, second it generates a whole market around performance parts and motors designed to make your slow car a tiny bit less slow while still being "spec".

Before, we had mod and stock. What do we have now? Mod, 10.5, 13.5. Then 17.5, 21.5, 25.5, and a few others I believe. In offroad, they even release "super light" cars and la AE FL... I mean, c'mon, seriously folks...

off my soapbox now. Will experiment further with drag brake on 13.5boosted, which is the sole class we have locally, and hits the sweet spot me thinks - fast enough to smooth out the expenses because fingers matters more than $$$ at this stage, not too fast to not be scary and prevent a 9y.o. from having fun either.

Lonestar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:31 AM
  #43  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (57)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 5,016
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Heat? I don't worry about heat if you buy a good fan. I only start worrying when it is 90-100F ambient temp, with or without drag brake.
Dan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:44 AM
  #44  
Tech Master
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,073
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post


no need for a temp gun I just hook up my Wifi modules this is from last weekends outdoor race in Florida with about 23% drag brake
How do you get max motor temp? Do you have to put a thermocouple on the motor and hook that up to the ESC?
glennhl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:05 AM
  #45  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 15
Default

I use alot of drag brake (70/80%), when I want to coast I just keep the throttle at that given speed, that way I just have to un throttle to start breaking.
Moreirinha is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service