Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree19Likes

Entry level/ Budget friendly EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 12:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Entry level/ Budget friendly EP Touring Car

Any advice on a Entry level/ Budget friendly electric Touring car for running on asphalt would be deeply appreciated. I know there’s 3racing and Express and really don’t know the difference between those 2 manufacturers. Any recommendations on theses brands or others would be much appreciated.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They're close enough that you really don't need to consider the choice very carefully.

I'd probally go with the 3Racing Sakura Sport Ver.NU, as it comes with "more stuff". But do note, that the fasteners aren't great, and are black painted, instead of black oxide. This means getting the allen key in can be a problem.

The Express XQ1s is a higher quality kit, but comes with "less stuff".

The differences are quite small. You won't be wrong either way. Buy the one where you can get spare parts the easiest. :-)
museguy likes this.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What’s the planned use? Just out messing around, or actually racing.

I’ve got a few 3Racing vehicle. Easy has been with out issue. Only had an XPress since fall. I do like what I’ve seen so far.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Used TC7.1
Old 03-13-2019, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

As a bit of advice. Buy a 3mm thread forming tap. You will not regret it.

Originally Posted by glennhl
Used TC7.1
First, that's a poor answer because it's unjustified. The OP asked nicely, and asked well. He deserves good answers.

The TC7.1 is a poor choice. The amount of adjustment you can do on it, puts you in a place where you can get lost on configuring the car. Also, they use hardened suspension pivot pins, which have a tendancy to crack, and aren't a part people seem to think to keep in stock. The number of upper control link positions, is not a good place for a noob to start. Until someone ~feels the need~ for those adjustments, they're a place where you can just get lost.

Both the Sakura XI and XQ1s have limited control link locations, which ~forces~ you into the right range of settings.

Additionally, the plastic bulkheads are less likely to be tweaked.

The belt tension systems on the Express and 3Racing are easier to handle than the one in the TC7.1. Also, the TC7.1 is out of production.

Used is also a bad choice, if someone doesn't have a support system in place. Used means you are purchasing someone elses problems. This... makes life difficult for people.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:29 PM
Tech Prophet

In most cases, used touring cars aren’t much of a risk. More then half my Touring car fleet is used. And most of them I’ve done nothing more then put a receiver in and go. Outside of racing, average RC basher has little interest in touring cars.
glennhl likes this.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
In most cases, used touring cars aren’t much of a risk. More then half my Touring car fleet is used. And most of them I’ve done nothing more then put a receiver in and go. Outside of racing, average RC basher has little interest in touring cars.
Out of the box, from the factory, my TC4 was assembled wrong. I didn't know for more than a month. What are the chances you'd pick up someones hastily re-assembled car, that has the suspension bushing in some wacky position. Or someone who's got their setup dependent on T4 arms installed on their ~whatever~ chassis and you don't have those notes. You've built enough cars to be able to identify "something wrong" off the bat.

It's very rare that I've bought a used thing, that didn't have "something" needed.

Also, you're in no rush for a particular chassis. Both you and I happily wait weeks for cars. If someone wants to go racing, getting the car "now" is somewhat important. Having to scrounge the used market, for a specific chassis isn't how I want to introduce someone to touring cars.

It's like... Ghost 18, versus Sakura XI, or Express options. You don't give a new builder the Ghost 18. :-) I wouldn't give a new driver, a used car that I didn't vet personally.
museguy likes this.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Nerobro
They're close enough that you really don't need to consider the choice very carefully.

I'd probally go with the 3Racing Sakura Sport Ver.NU, as it comes with "more stuff". But do note, that the fasteners aren't great, and are black painted, instead of black oxide. This means getting the allen key in can be a problem.

The Express XQ1s is a higher quality kit, but comes with "less stuff".

The differences are quite small. You won't be wrong either way. Buy the one where you can get spare parts the easiest. :-)
What’s the planned use? Just out messing around, or actually racing.

I’ve got a few 3Racing vehicle. Easy has been with out issue. Only had an XPress since fall. I do like what I’ve seen so far.
I currently have a Xray t4 aluminum chassis for carpet racing and have been kicking around the idea of getting a asphalt car. I’m just really not wanting to spend that amount of money on a outdoor car, don’t get me I know the quality is there but there’s got to be more affordable but quality chasis out there and was searching for suggestions.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by outlaw820

I currently have a Xray t4 aluminum chassis for carpet racing and have been kicking around the idea of getting a asphalt car. I’m just really not wanting to spend that amount of money on a outdoor car, don’t get me I know the quality is there but there’s got to be more affordable but quality chasis out there and was searching for suggestions.
Ok. So something just to mess around parking lots. While I’ll run everything that I can on unprepared surfaces. I know most won’t. Since you mentioned 3Racing and Xpress, I’m assuming you want to build more then a RTR.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok. So something just to mess around parking lots. While I’ll run everything that I can on unprepared surfaces. I know most won’t. Since you mentioned 3Racing and Xpress, I’m assuming you want to build more then a RTR.
Mainly for racing on asphalt and definitely a buildable kit
Old 03-13-2019, 04:17 PM
Tech Prophet

Out of the box, from the factory, my TC4 was assembled wrong. I didn't know for more than a month. What are the chances you'd pick up someones hastily re-assembled car, that has the suspension bushing in some wacky position. Or someone who's got their setup dependent on T4 arms installed on their ~whatever~ chassis and you don't have those notes. You've built enough cars to be able to identify "something wrong" off the bat.

It's very rare that I've bought a used thing, that didn't have "something" needed.

Also, you're in no rush for a particular chassis. Both you and I happily wait weeks for cars. If someone wants to go racing, getting the car "now" is somewhat important. Having to scrounge the used market, for a specific chassis isn't how I want to introduce someone to touring cars.

It's like... Ghost 18, versus Sakura XI, or Express options. You don't give a new builder the Ghost 18. :-) I wouldn't give a new driver, a used car that I didn't vet personally.
I followed the Ghost18 thread long enuff to know that car had issues. That one I would suggest anyone to read that thread first.

You’d be suprised by things I miss. I still know little about actually setting up a touring car. The ones I’ve built my goal is for it to drive straight. I’ll figure out how to drive it. Most of my used have come so we’ll set up, I could really only make them worse. With a used I usually just check wheel nuts, pinion screw/gear mesh, and go run. So far it’s worked.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I don't usually answer broad question like this, but surprised to see someone actually said other people's suggestion a "poor answer." I may not suggest an used TC7.1, but I certainly won't say others suggestion a poor answer.

BTW, since you have a T4 with aluminum chassis, you option could be: a graphite chassis to switch over; or an used T4 then you don't need to worry about carrying spare parts for each car.
Nerobro and TeamThibault like this.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by outlaw820

Mainly for racing on asphalt and definitely a buildable kit
Ok. I’ve only raced pavement, only recently started practicing on carpet. From the Threads here, the budget Xpress seems to have more active owners. Though most seem good with the 3Racing. The 3Racing does seem to come with more options.

I started with the BSR BT-4. Basically a XRay copy. If it was more available I’d suggest it. I did start running a used Serpent 4x, Awesomatix and T4 last summer. The only kit that seems to be one to avoid is the VBC Ghost18.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok. I’ve only raced pavement, only recently started practicing on carpet. From the Threads here, the budget Xpress seems to have more active owners. Though most seem good with the 3Racing. The 3Racing does seem to come with more options.

I started with the BSR BT-4. Basically a XRay copy. If it was more available I’d suggest it. I did start running a used Serpent 4x, Awesomatix and T4 last summer. The only kit that seems to be one to avoid is the VBC Ghost18.
Gotcha, I’ve tried the Serpent 4px and could not figure out the car and as for a awesomatix they are expensive and a whole lot of tuning if you tap something. Looks like I’m going to give the Express xq1s a go. I’ve heard a lot of positive things about the car so why not give it a go. So thanks for all the responses!!
Old 03-13-2019, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

As a bit of advice. Buy a 3mm thread forming tap. You will not regret it.

First, that's a poor answer because it's unjustified. The OP asked nicely, and asked well. He deserves good answers.

The TC7.1 is a poor choice. The amount of adjustment you can do on it, puts you in a place where you can get lost on configuring the car. Also, they use hardened suspension pivot pins, which have a tendancy to crack, and aren't a part people seem to think to keep in stock. The number of upper control link positions, is not a good place for a noob to start. Until someone ~feels the need~ for those adjustments, they're a place where you can just get lost.

Both the Sakura XI and XQ1s have limited control link locations, which ~forces~ you into the right range of settings.

Additionally, the plastic bulkheads are less likely to be tweaked.

The belt tension systems on the Express and 3Racing are easier to handle than the one in the TC7.1. Also, the TC7.1 is out of production.

Used is also a bad choice, if someone doesn't have a support system in place. Used means you are purchasing someone elses problems. This... makes life difficult for people.
Arguing that there are too many adjustments on the TC7.1 for a noob makes zero sense to me. Just use the box setup and it's great. If you want something else to try, just go to Petit RC and there are other setup sheets you can use. And as far as being out of production, there is still a great supply of parts available. In fact, that is a good argument to get the TC7.1. I'm just afraid that if he gets one of the "cheap" cars that once he learns how to drive he will want to upgrade to a better platform like the TC7.1.

But you do bring up an excellent point about buying used. I've bought a few used cars and at least two of them were assembled improperly. Best to buy from someone you trust or to tear down and rebuild the car right off the bat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.