Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Can anyone sum up R/C racing in the past 8 years? >

Can anyone sum up R/C racing in the past 8 years?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can anyone sum up R/C racing in the past 8 years?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Is my stuff totally outdated?

RS4 pro yes, but good to practice on and get a feel for racing again
Airtronics caliber no, not really its a good radio
Reedy Tri Sonic modifieds unless the comm is so old and brushes are so old... naw...
Novak Cyclone esc nope.. works good. a bit bigger.. but it works good
2000 cells i would replace, cells are pretty cheap now
Tekin bc12 chargerget it updated and you're good to go

you won't need to spend alot just to get back in.... slowly see whats available and what runs well at your local track, get a feel for other cars and welcome back to the hobby!!
Old 02-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Tech Rookie

xevias, thanks for the link, will check out that other stuff also.

Originally Posted by icon
oh yeah, and tamiya won some championships in electric tc .
What???? It was a "tamiya only" race right?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
Go with SMC batteries, they check them at a 30 amp discharge rate not all of them do this and it makes a differance. There race packs are great and you will not be sorry. The IB cells 3800 are the best to get right now. The 4200's are not legal for ROAR right now but I am sure that they will soon.

The 19t is not a stock motor. It is a modified motor class that everyone has to run a 19 turn motor. Some of the motors have fixed endbells and some you can change the timing on the endbell. Check to see what the guys are running first.

The X-Ray or the Corraly RDX are the two best cars on the market today. The X-Ray is harder to get parts for and the parts a more expensive. Both are great cars.
I know technically 19turn isn't stock, but with the advent of longer battery life, is it safe to assume 19T is replacing 27t in most cases? Back when I was racing you never heard of 19 turns. And with the longer battery life, I assume that is where all the cooling fans come from? Is that common now to run a fan on the motor? What about the esc?

Thanks for the suggestion on cars.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

Money.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:40 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QUASAR
What ever happened to the TurboThirty? I see there are now engine dynos? I have to bring my laptop with me to the track?
LOL

You've missed a couple generations of the CE products.

They had the Turbo Thirty, then the Turbo 35, Turbo 35 Stealth, and now the Turbo 35 GFX.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This may sound wierd but work with me. 19T replaced 1/12th scale. back in the day alot of guys ran touring and a second class which was 1/12th scale. now with the advent of 19T you can own 1 car and still run 2 classes with it. Now all you 1/12th scale guys don't get mad I know that there is still a 1/12th scale class out there.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
This may sound wierd but work with me. 19T replaced 1/12th scale. back in the day alot of guys ran touring and a second class which was 1/12th scale. now with the advent of 19T you can own 1 car and still run 2 classes with it. Now all you 1/12th scale guys don't get mad I know that there is still a 1/12th scale class out there.
now thats all fine and dandy unless the races are back to back and your scrabling to solder in that next motor :P
Old 02-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
19 Turn HAS NOT replaced 12th scale. Many people are going back to 12th scale because they don't have to invest a ton of money onto them, they don't break like the fragile TC's of today and most places can't afford to have a big track suitable for 10th scale and 12th just fits a lot better....
Old 02-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
they don't break like the fragile TC's of today
Are you serious with that one? And not a flame, serious question. At my local track I consider it a *great* thing if more than half of the 1/12's that start a race finish it. They seem to be extraordinarily brittle compared to the TC's, on carpet at least. My 1/12 experience has been watching <x> number of cars start a race, and then watching one or two guys running the last five minutes on their own.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

wow never really notice how much stuff changed in the past 8 years. quasar if u want my opinion, buy all your stuff that you are looking for off this website. there is always good deals on here. that xray sounds like an awesome deal(even though its not a yokomo ....lol). and for batteries there are always someone selling 3300's or 3800's batteries on here that are well maintained and keep up. if i was you i would want to look for something to discharge and charge your batteries. good luck with however you go.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Welcome back! Oh.. and Tamiya.. 2002 and 2004 IFMAR Touring World Champions!! We'll see who gets crown'd this year..

Anyways, since you said carpet.. go for the XRay. If it were asphalt.. I'd say get a Tamiya 415 or HotBodies/HPI Cyclone.

Oh.. and don't know if you know this.. but most tracks now use Personal transponders. You may or may not need to buy one, pending if your local track has track transponders or not.

Also, the old radio is nice.. but the new technology is DSM. No need to change channels anymore. Just turn on the car and go!! No conflicts or nothing! One of the best RC investments I've ever made!
Old 02-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Modified motors average about 7 or 8 turns these days, and there are a few new endbell designs. Orion V2, Trinity Shock, Trinity Cobalt, Checkpoint to name the main ones
Old 02-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When getting back into racing, fans aren't necesary unless you chose a brushless system. And I think most of those are including the ESC fans in the kits. From what I can tell motor fans are more for the mod guys.

Short answer, motor & speedo fans are unnecesary when running 27T or 19T classes.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by KilRuf
Oh.. and don't know if you know this.. but most tracks now use Personal transponders. You may or may not need to buy one, pending if your local track has track transponders or not.

Also, the old radio is nice.. but the new technology is DSM. No need to change channels anymore. Just turn on the car and go!! No conflicts or nothing! One of the best RC investments I've ever made!
I was just at the local track last weekend, and they have the same setup they've always had, they supply the transponders.

DSM? Are you saying no more crystals anymore? Can you elaborate?
Old 02-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
Are you serious with that one? And not a flame, serious question. At my local track I consider it a *great* thing if more than half of the 1/12's that start a race finish it. They seem to be extraordinarily brittle compared to the TC's, on carpet at least. My 1/12 experience has been watching <x> number of cars start a race, and then watching one or two guys running the last five minutes on their own.
Sounds like your local 12th program needs some help. At any of the club tracks I've been too, 12th has a finish rate of about 85-90%, same with touring. Beginner classes - different altogether.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.