Like Tree256Likes

VBC Ghost18

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:06 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by simple
The last reason is the only one that makes sense to me
That being the case, I think a better design would be a hole smaller than the diameter of the shafts..which is probably what they did for the D09,10?
Yes, d09 and d10 have smaller opening.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by simple
The last reason is the only one that makes sense to me
That being the case, I think a better design would be a hole smaller than the diameter of the shafts..which is probably what they did for the D09,10?
I did say they were minor. LOL
simple likes this.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

The diff is leaking and the shocks get air in them very easily no matter how perfectly air free they are when built. Has anyone had these issues?

The diff seems to leak passed the large o-ring onto the gear teeth, maybe a thicker o-ring as the white one doesn't look like it is enough to create a seal. The shocks seem to have a lot of play or wobble in the shafts. Could it be this letting air in?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

I've built a lot of VBC diffs. Once I had defective gasket but no leaks otherwise. The progressive shocks have taper bored cylinders so the pistons have some wiggle especially at full extension.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
The diff is leaking and the shocks get air in them very easily no matter how perfectly air free they are when built. Has anyone had these issues?

The diff seems to leak passed the large o-ring onto the gear teeth, maybe a thicker o-ring as the white one doesn't look like it is enough to create a seal. The shocks seem to have a lot of play or wobble in the shafts. Could it be this letting air in?
I had one shock that got air in it but that was because the bottom cap wasn't fully tightened. I had some initial diff leak but I may have over filled it. Feels correct in action and not leaking after three weeks.
The shocks and diffs are not a new design. They are the same as on there latest car the D10. The diff is the same as the D05.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If the diff is over filled with oil during assembly, it is quite easy for the soft white outer oring to be deformed while the oil underpressure escapes during tightening.
I noticed some leaking on my first attempt, and that was the cause.
Subsequent rebuild being slightly sparing with the diff oil lead to success.

Last edited by simple; 04-04-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Tech Regular

I've tried rebuilding with less oil in and see how that goes. It was more than a bit weeping out as it dripped onto the chassis and covered the rear belt?

Seemed fine after building and before the first run. Maybe the re-build will sort it.

As for the shocks not sure? It seems like air is getting in somewhere as they are silky smooth until you move the shocks quickly then you get the tell tale squeak of air. Same after a rebuild of those too.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you build your shocks and then move the shaft in and out several times, when you hear the squish noise, if you take the top cap off, is the the top of the bladder wet with oil? If it is, you could possibly have a pin hole in the bladder. I've had that happen with brand new bladders. Also check if there could be a tear in the bladder at the seam, this can be caused if the top of the shock body is sharp and you really crank down on the top cap.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
If you build your shocks and then move the shaft in and out several times, when you hear the squish noise, if you take the top cap off, is the the top of the bladder wet with oil? If it is, you could possibly have a pin hole in the bladder. I've had that happen with brand new bladders. Also check if there could be a tear in the bladder at the seam, this can be caused if the top of the shock body is sharp and you really crank down on the top cap.
Ah okay. I will check to see if there is any oil above the bladder.

Cheers
Old 04-05-2018, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Here is my trick to build any bladder shock.
Fill with oil with the rod fully extended then slowly cycle the rod in and out. You will see air bubbles form. Let the shock set until the bubbles are gone. It helps to have a shock stand to do this as it takes a few minutes.
Make sure that the oil is up to the top of the body with the rod extended then put the bladder in place on the body. The bladder should force out a little oil.
Put the shock cap on a few turns and compress the shock. This will push out some more excess oil.
Tighten the cap full and clean up the mess. If you do this right you will have a little rebound and a smooth air free shock.
If you have too much rebound loosen the cap and force out a little oil.
If you don't have any you will need to remove the cap, add some oil and repeat the bleed.
Good luck, there is a definite feel to this technique but with time you will build perfect shocks.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by old_dude
Here is my trick to build any bladder shock.
Fill with oil with the rod fully extended then slowly cycle the rod in and out. You will see air bubbles form. Let the shock set until the bubbles are gone. It helps to have a shock stand to do this as it takes a few minutes.
Make sure that the oil is up to the top of the body with the rod extended then put the bladder in place on the body. The bladder should force out a little oil.
Put the shock cap on a few turns and compress the shock. This will push out some more excess oil.
Tighten the cap full and clean up the mess. If you do this right you will have a little rebound and a smooth air free shock.
If you have too much rebound loosen the cap and force out a little oil.
If you don't have any you will need to remove the cap, add some oil and repeat the bleed.
Good luck, there is a definite feel to this technique but with time you will build perfect shocks.
Great tips! I always build my shocks in a similar way but also use a shock pump to remove air bubbles and always build with as close to 0% rebound as possible. Of all the shocks I've built over the years Xray shocks seem to be the best and always build silky smooth with no air and no air gets in until after 10's of runs when i rebuild them and refresh the oil. I don't know if it is to do with the hole in the shock caps as shocks with no hole often seem to behave in the same way as the VBC shocks.

They build fine with no air and are super smooth whilst moving the piston slowly and not pushing it all the way in. Once the piston is pushed in all the way or moved quickly you hear/feel a squeak and then you get the tell tale feel and sound of air in the shock.

It's almost as if the bladder compensates so far then the pressure causes the seal to fail and air gets in? Similar to Johnny Wishbone's description. I haven't checked yet if oil is on top of the bladder but it does feel like what he describes is happening.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Once you know that this car is way older than you think, it explain some of their technical choices...

Red RC ? RC Car News » Tresrey HT-1 1/10th 4WD touring car kit
Old 04-06-2018, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Wow... I can't believe I didn't catch that. I remember looking at this Tresrey.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

It's still newer than my HB Cyclone Worlds Edition that is my current wet car
Old 04-06-2018, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Great tips! I always build my shocks in a similar way but also use a shock pump to remove air bubbles and always build with as close to 0% rebound as possible. Of all the shocks I've built over the years Xray shocks seem to be the best and always build silky smooth with no air and no air gets in until after 10's of runs when i rebuild them and refresh the oil. I don't know if it is to do with the hole in the shock caps as shocks with no hole often seem to behave in the same way as the VBC shocks.

They build fine with no air and are super smooth whilst moving the piston slowly and not pushing it all the way in. Once the piston is pushed in all the way or moved quickly you hear/feel a squeak and then you get the tell tale feel and sound of air in the shock.

It's almost as if the bladder compensates so far then the pressure causes the seal to fail and air gets in? Similar to Johnny Wishbone's description. I haven't checked yet if oil is on top of the bladder but it does feel like what he describes is happening.
There should be no oil above the bladder. It is a seal and it is a compensation device. As the rod is compressed into the bore of the shock it displaces oil. The bladder stretches upward into the cap compressing a equal volume of air to the rod. The rod and oil are non-compressibles so something has to move. Air is compressible so it does. The bladder separates the air and the oil. As we all know air in the oil makes for a squishy inconsistent shock. I go back to the days before we had compensators in the shocks. Boy were those tough to get right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.