R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Personal Transponder and Carbon Fiber (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/100456-personal-transponder-carbon-fiber.html)

miniczar 02-03-2006 08:08 PM

Personal Transponder and Carbon Fiber

I recently got an amb personal transponder. I have a F201 car with a MLP chassy on it. I put the transponder on the carbon fiber and it would not read. So I put it on the side of the servo (so it is now verticle, not horizontal) and it would now work. But in the race there were quite a few laps that it would not read. Do I need to put it horizontal for it to work better? Is there something I could put under the transponder so I can attach it to the carbon fiber? Any help is much appreciated!

R40Victim 02-03-2006 08:14 PM

We actually cut a square out of the foam in the bumper, and installed it there. Even in the worst impacts, it never got damaged, and I don't remember it ever not reading a lap.

Pat Clark 02-03-2006 08:47 PM

I mount mine on the side of the servo on my fk05 and never missed a lap...

GrandeGixxer 02-03-2006 09:14 PM

On my 1/12th I mount it where most do, on top of the servo. This means that the signal has to go through the noisy(electronically) servo as well as the Graphite chassis. I have never had a problem with it not counting.

Yeti35 02-03-2006 09:27 PM

I have mine installed just with industrial velcro and have not had any issues with any of mine not working right.

Dongskie 02-04-2006 05:05 AM

Check with your amb system if the decoder sends strong signal hits. It may be a cause of loose wiring and connection. It may not be from your PT.

teammidget lilB 02-04-2006 06:04 AM

i have had my transponder for 2 years alway have been mounted on carbon fiber its never missed a lap

koabich 02-04-2006 07:57 AM

Most likely it's not the carbon fiber or the servo that is causing you to miss laps. It sounds like it's an electrical issue meaning that your electronics on your car are hogging all the power and not giving the AMB transponder enough juice to do it's job.

With today's power soaking digital servo's and the Spektrum unit's, some ESC's may struggle to keep up on diverting optium power to all accessories. If the AMB is not getting enough power, your laps will not register. Try running a cap on your ESC or receiver and this should clear up the problem. The cap will act as a power storgae devise allowing any accessory that needs additional power to get it.

On another note, the AMB will work just fine mounted in a servo and even directly on carbon fiber. Just make sure that the entire underside of the transponder is fully covered by double sided tape so no part of the unit is touching the servo or transponder itself.

Difuser 02-04-2006 08:13 AM

mini it is not your personal it was the pin connection at the back of the AMB box.
For those having count issues with the AMBrc system the fix as suggested by Doug at scoring pro was to pul the wire at the exit of the box 180d to the connection and then duct tape it to the decoder. Worked like a charm.
I was having the same issues with house or PT's.

RC Scoring Pro 02-04-2006 08:45 AM

Transponders should not be mounted vertically, the signal goes out the top and the bottom of the transponder.

2-Bad 02-04-2006 12:35 PM

I have mine directly (double-sided taped) onto CF chassis... with no issues

Could be power issues.... I have seen this before on a friends car. Check if the orange light on the transponder is on, now check it under full throttle and full brake..... the orange light should stay on and at full brightness, there should be no change to the light when you accelerate or brake.... if the light does dim or flicker, then this is why your're missing laps.

Check your connections, and/or
if you have a spare reciver, repalce it.

hope this helps....... :)