Like Tree14Likes

Droop

Old 10-28-2017, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
I know this complicates this thread a little more but I tend to set our cars up with more rear weight bias by a few %. Car just feels to rotate better
And you are not wrong. Setting the car with more rear weight bias keeps the front tires from getting overloaded, or at least making them overload later than rear tires. It also addresses some of the corner weight balancing issues all* cars have, that the rear springs are too stiff compared to the front springs (or the front springs too soft compared to the rears depending on your take of the current situation).

*all measured cars by me. I calculate wheel rate and all current and old cars by extension derive from the same design (rear shocks closer to wheel). I have some cars that spring balance was achieved by reversing the recommended spring setup front to rear.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:42 AM
Tech Regular

So I started round 1 with the same settings as the previous Friday nights racing. The rear was a little loose on power again so this time I increased the front droop without making any other changes. I went from 8.8mm to 7mm on the front downstop setting. For round 2 the car felt better on power but I noticed the rear was still struggling for grip going through the chicane after the main straight.

After more careful attention and really focusing on when it felt loose I felt the rear was braking loose mid corner rather than corner exit and it felt like lazy over-steer. I shortened the wheelbase for round 3 and the car felt much better but still had a tendency to loose the rear through the chicane.

For the Final I added a little more rear droop to avoid lifting a rear wheel during the fast direction changes and it seemed to do the trick. I went from 8.5mm to 8.0mm and the car felt the best it had all night.

During the final I also increased the -VE steering expo and that further helped, so much so I could turn up the dual rate a little to gain some slow corner steering lock.

I think overall droop behaves the way theory explains but when a wheel lifts due to the downstops it reduces grip at that end so can sometimes reduce grip at the end you decreased the droop, the opposite of the theory.

Like a lot of people have mentioned, by changing one setting you impact many more and it is finding that balance that works.

At least now I think I can see how droop affects the handling and droop is better used to fine tune over-steer/under-steer, relying more on spring rate and roll bars in the first instance.