Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree396Likes

Gizmo Racing GZ2!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Got to run the BETA car a bit on asphalt over the weekend. We ended up getting rained out, however I did get to run some practice with it. Surprisingly, the set up I tried to go with, was not so great and I actually started reverting back to my previous GZ2 center motor set up and the closer I got to it, the better the car got. Still feel like the car lacked a little bit of rotation at the Porter track, but overall, I was extremely pleased for a first time out.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you, Christian.

Can't wait to visit you guys down there and race together. Surely, one of these days. Cheers!
Old 05-27-2018, 07:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

I had the privilege to run the beta car yesterday. I ran it on a 85x40 low bite black carpet track. The car came from MHIC untouched, which has the most grip hands down I've ever raced on, on black carpet. There was an interesting challenge of reintroducing grip to the car, to make it work properly. Just tossing it down, with a mild gear change, I was about a second a lap off. After 3 rounds of qualifying, and tuning in the car in, I was about to be very competitive. I was just a tick slower than the local fast guy, He had gotten fast lap by .01 a second, which I feel I was right there upfront speed, and consistently through out the race as well. I had taken 2 bad lines coming into a FAST cross town, in which my car did a couple of half donuts. I ended up finishing 2nd, about 5 seconds back from the gentleman who won. It was definitely fun breaking off the rust, after not running for a month. Ill be able to race on a weekly basis now, so hopefully I will be able to get the new beta car dialed in, and see how it compares to the gz2.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Getting very comfortable with the car and its adjustment , played around today with the rear weight adjustment and I followed the tips from thecaptain. Very useful adjustment to get the car to rotate the way you want it.
Slo_E4 likes this.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
Getting very comfortable with the car and its adjustment , played around today with the rear weight adjustment and I followed the tips from thecaptain. Very useful adjustment to get the car to rotate the way you want it.
can you explainnl how the rear anchor weight adjustment work to help rotate the rear?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BD1541
can you explainnl how the rear anchor weight adjustment work to help rotate the rear?
as the captain explained it to me moving the weights further out make is rotate more and further in less rotation . Something you have to play with with your set up and track. I don’t have it on my asphalt car yet . But I may try it out next time .
Old 05-30-2018, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

The anchor weight system provides more rotation or stability depending on how it is used. The total weight of the system, with the screws is about 15 grams. With this amount of weight placed behind the motor, and in front of the rear wheels, it generates more steering, especially off power. It does take away some on power steering, which I think is ok, as the car has a bunch for me anyhow. However it did lack some initial steering for me, so this upgrade was a no brainer. Figuring out how the weight placement worked on the system took some time for me. In the majority of conditions, and set ups I have tried, the system has done the same thing. Moving the weights inward decreased rotation, and increased stability. Moving the weights outwards generated rotation, and decreased stability. Something to consider is if you track is lower bite, and you run low glue on the front tires(below 59mm), in a section where it is high speed, into a 180* this additional weight transfer to the front can cause too much weight transfer and cause a traction roll. I've only raced on a few tracks that have had this, and I either went to a softer or hard front spring depending on what I was looking for the car to do. I typically run the axon 2.4 or axon 2.5 on the front of the car depending on the grip level. The axon 2.4 is slightly stiffer than the xray 2.3 and the axon 2.5 is slightly softer than the xray 2.5. I really like the axon springs over the xray springs, I like how the feel and work on the car. I hope this is helpful!
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by thecaptain
The anchor weight system provides more rotation or stability depending on how it is used. The total weight of the system, with the screws is about 15 grams. With this amount of weight placed behind the motor, and in front of the rear wheels, it generates more steering, especially off power. It does take away some on power steering, which I think is ok, as the car has a bunch for me anyhow. However it did lack some initial steering for me, so this upgrade was a no brainer. Figuring out how the weight placement worked on the system took some time for me. In the majority of conditions, and set ups I have tried, the system has done the same thing. Moving the weights inward decreased rotation, and increased stability. Moving the weights outwards generated rotation, and decreased stability. Something to consider is if you track is lower bite, and you run low glue on the front tires(below 59mm), in a section where it is high speed, into a 180* this additional weight transfer to the front can cause too much weight transfer and cause a traction roll. I've only raced on a few tracks that have had this, and I either went to a softer or hard front spring depending on what I was looking for the car to do. I typically run the axon 2.4 or axon 2.5 on the front of the car depending on the grip level. The axon 2.4 is slightly stiffer than the xray 2.3 and the axon 2.5 is slightly softer than the xray 2.5. I really like the axon springs over the xray springs, I like how the feel and work on the car. I hope this is helpful!
hey thanks for the explanation guys. You explaining the above now just tickled the right spot where I was craving for more initial steer anyway. This car has a lot of on power steer much more than any other makes I own . ( the if14 has it too but it does so with a roll to the side while doing so whereas the gz2 stays flat doing so. ) I gather the slight lack of initial steer has to do with my back being very planted in even ultra low traction conditions. With the ULP x ray shocks I run full Rp Progressives on the front 2.6 - 2.8 and 2.8 - 3.0 rear ) this seems to be a magical combo for me.

May try try lower rate linears for front though. Yeah gonna contact Cristian for those anchor weight system.

Thx again.

Dixon
Old 05-30-2018, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

hey thanks for the explanation guys. You explaining the above now just tickled the right spot where I was craving for more initial steer anyway. This car has a lot of on power steer much more than any other makes I own . ( the if14 has it too but it does so with a roll to the side while doing so whereas the gz2 stays flat doing so. ) I gather the slight lack of initial steer has to do with my back being very planted in even ultra low traction conditions. With the ULP x ray shocks I run full Rp Progressives on the front 2.6 - 2.8 and 2.8 - 3.0 rear ) this seems to be a magical combo for me.

May try try lower rate linears for front though. Yeah gonna contact Cristian for those anchor weight system.

Thx again.

Dixon
That is an extremely stiff set up that you are running, you must have rather low bite?
Old 05-30-2018, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

That is an extremely stiff set up that you are running, you must have rather low bite?
Yup you got that right.. NO bite’s more like it...

it it rains hard all the time here and really humid and hot in the day ( 60 deg C track temps mid day ) thus the best traction comes only on race day when there all the guys lay enough rubber and additive on the track. The remarkable thing is the gz2C works very well on our tracks doesn’t matter which track and layout in this country together with the Awesomatix A800s. ( Hate building their shocks all the time though. )

To give you an idea Yokomo’s ( especially the BD8’s ) are especially difficult to setup on our kind of traction to give you an idea of what it’s like here.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Yup you got that right.. NO bite’s more like it...

it it rains hard all the time here and really humid and hot in the day ( 60 deg C track temps mid day ) thus the best traction comes only on race day when there all the guys lay enough rubber and additive on the track. The remarkable thing is the gz2C works very well on our tracks doesn’t matter which track and layout in this country together with the Awesomatix A800s. ( Hate building their shocks all the time though. )

To give you an idea Yokomo’s ( especially the BD8’s ) are especially difficult to setup on our kind of traction to give you an idea of what it’s like here.
Is that an asphalt thing? I normally don't rebuild my shocks but once a month.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Same here maybe once a month
Old 06-04-2018, 05:55 AM
Tech Champion

I got to run the beta again, this weekend! To give an idea of the grip the layout is only down 1 day and 2 days a week oval is ran on the same carpet. So pretty low grip. Not terrible just low for black carpet. Starting from the set up i had last week, i ended up trying a bunch of items(mostly bodies) to find out that i liked how the car was already set up. I didnt get to try the gz2c vs the beta yet. I am hoping to try that this weekend at the next race. I will be using a very similar set up to Marcos, as that is the one i normally run.

Im glad the gizmo "family" has grown and we've had a huge amount of interested in the gz2 as well as the beta car! I hope to meet some of you guys/gals at some regional/national events this year!
Old 06-04-2018, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

I got to run the beta again, this weekend! To give an idea of the grip the layout is only down 1 day and 2 days a week oval is ran on the same carpet. So pretty low grip. Not terrible just low for black carpet. Starting from the set up i had last week, i ended up trying a bunch of items(mostly bodies) to find out that i liked how the car was already set up. I didnt get to try the gz2c vs the beta yet. I am hoping to try that this weekend at the next race. I will be using a very similar set up to Marcos, as that is the one i normally run.

Im glad the gizmo "family" has grown and we've had a huge amount of interested in the gz2 as well as the beta car! I hope to meet some of you guys/gals at some regional/national events this year!
awesome ! My GZ2(not the beta) is pretty dialed now on black carpet , ran our last indoor State race yesterday with some fast guys ,EA,Furman,Mcnichols,Dave Vera very tough competition, Started 5th in the B main , running third but silly mistake like not checking screws before the main , caused me to pull of the track when my rear toe screw got loose. Oh well i have a check off list now lol.

Thanks for thecaptain for the tips on tire prep via text , they all helped.
thecaptain likes this.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
awesome ! My GZ2(not the beta) is pretty dialed now on black carpet , ran our last indoor State race yesterday with some fast guys ,EA,Furman,Mcnichols,Dave Vera very tough competition, Started 5th in the B main , running third but silly mistake like not checking screws before the main , caused me to pull of the track when my rear toe screw got loose. Oh well i have a check off list now lol.

Thanks for thecaptain for the tips on tire prep via text , they all helped.
I'd do it for any fellow racer, they just have to ask. Im glad that I was able to help!
Marcos.J likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.