Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

i dont like one waysi used a center one way and i still dont like it as much as diffs i get faster times with using diffs i guess its just me. A good way to check tightness on your diffs is hold 3 wheels in place and spin the one free wheel, if it spins without turning the motor then its too loose you want to spin the motor and you want the front 1 turn tighter than the rear.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:14 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I don't like one ways either. I ran my new SP last week for the first time but I had diffs in it. I will try it this weekend with the one ways in just to see what happens. If I don't care for it I will put the diffs in again.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by Chris@WeaponR
i dont like one waysi used a center one way and i still dont like it as much as diffs i get faster times with using diffs i guess its just me. A good way to check tightness on your diffs is hold 3 wheels in place and spin the one free wheel, if it spins without turning the motor then its too loose you want to spin the motor and you want the front 1 turn tighter than the rear.
Chris- I have never found a where the dual diffs are faster than the oneways. Especially in stock. If you run stock and your faster with diffs then you're doing something wrong bro.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I also race 1/10th scale pan so I got used to racing without using the brakes, I guess the double one-way set up fits my driving style. I've tried running with the front diff, but the car seems to pick up a push. I'm sure its a faster set-up for high bite tracks. I like the double one-way set up in mod too.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by BigDogRacing

Chris- I have never found a where the dual diffs are faster than the oneways. Especially in stock. If you run stock and your faster with diffs then you're doing something wrong bro.
what am i doing wrong?
Old 08-14-2002, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

It takes some time in setup and practice to get going with one-ways, but once you do they are most definately faster. The only time I can see not using one-ways would be running foam tires.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Agreed Josh

Chris- that could be a long story, but I'll try and give a few pointers. First of all, dial ALL of the brake out of the speed controller including drag brake etc. When you set up the speed controller and radio set it up normally so you can use the radio to take out almost all of the brake. If you are using Novak ESCs then set it on the stock motor setting.

Now when you get everything setup, get on the track during practice and test the brakes. If the car spins out or slides the rear, then take out more brake. You will end up taking out a ton of brake. Now when you absolutely HAVE to use the brakes, the car shouldn't violently spin out.

Next is driving. Your car should be setup where you can control it through the turns, but spin it out if you want to. That is what I call the "balance" of your setup. I won't go any deeper here, but you get the idea.

With the setup like that the car should rotate through the turns very quickly. If you have to let out of the throttle so much to make it through a turn (even a hairpin) that your throttle goes to neutral, then your car is pushing too much. Maybe not enough turn-in, maybe not enough total front traction, but whatever the cause, it doesn't have the correct "balance".

Once you find that balance you will see that you never use the brakes (not counting traffic etc.) and you very seldon have to let off past mid throttle. Your throttle movements should be very smooth and have a direct relationship to your steering.

If you ever reach full throw in either direction on your steering wheel then your setup is off or you are "overdriving" the car. Your wheels should never be turned farther that the angle the car is turning. That's a whole chapter in itself...

Hope this helped..
Old 08-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Very well said! I'm printing that out
Old 08-15-2002, 02:32 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I see alot of the pros running one ways but the tracks I see are always nice and flowing. Looks like they are racing at places like Micheal Schumacher races at. They don't look any of the tracks I have raced at that is for sure. The tracks I run at have 180's in almost every corner. We also have really tight lanes and traffic is also a big problem. And I guess from your post you don't run foams with one ways. We run on a indoor asphalt track with pretty good traction.

I guess all you can do is try one to see what is best for you and the tracks you run on. We have a few guys running one ways but they get themselves in more trouble running them than anything.

I do know that my SP turns better than any touring car I have tried before. I really like the car except my car is pretty light and I need to add some weight. That is my only complaint which really is not a big problem. Great car with all the good stuff from the factory.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:42 PM
Tech Regular

i have all the brakes dialed out i only brake when theres traffic i dont think i overdrive the car.... why should i go fater with a oneway???
Old 08-15-2002, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Chris@WeaponR
i have all the brakes dialed out i only brake when theres traffic i dont think i overdrive the car.... why should i go fater with a oneway???
Why shouldn't you? The pros do.

You asked a question and I answered it to the best of my knowledge. I don't see where you're asking a real question here...
Old 08-15-2002, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Simply put, one-ways allow the car to carry much more speed through the corner.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

guys...is it safe to say that one-way is good for sweeping corner track and ball diff(4WD) good for tight track.

i noticed, at least at my place, which 80-90% Yok driver with one-way, they do not have the advantage over the guys with ball diff (full time 4WD) at our tight track. unless u race on a track like in the recent 2002 European track championship at Lostallo Switzerland.

just my 5 cents view
Old 08-15-2002, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

The track I race on is very tight, and cars with one-ways have a huge advantage.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here's the track I race at and as you can see its nothing like those big Euro style tracks. I'm sure that a yoke with a one-way will have a big advantage over a yoke with a diff on this track. http://socalrc.com/images/orpano.jpg
We do run tighter layouts than the one shown and I still perfer the double one-way.

edit - Image was way too big and messing up the page, changed to link

Last edited by Speedo; 08-17-2002 at 10:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.