Search
Like Tree31Likes

Carpet Off Road Tire selection

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
very interesting... the main reason I haven't got back into 2WD buggy since our club switched from clay to turf is because I'm too lazy to cut the front wheels, this is a game changer for me to reconsider the class!
You can buy narrow wheels of you don't want to cut them. I've run wide front wheels without cutting them too. Looks funny, but it worked just fine.
billdelong likes this.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Has anyone ran Schumacher blue compound rears on carpet? Do they last longer? I was thinking about getting some practice tires.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

on the turf track in our area, the yellow compound tires are running more consistent and actually lasting a couple race days longer than the blues where blues might go 4-6 race days and yellows are lasting 6-8 race days... things might change as temps heat up and we hit summer months with the turf track in our area being covered but outdoors.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We run a tight indoor track on carpet. I was just thinking they may last longer for practice. But you don't make it sound appetizing haha
Old 03-22-2019, 06:34 AM
Tech Champion

I think it's more of a temperature thing, I bet the yellow's are probably better for winter/indoor racing and blue's are probably better for summer/outdoor racing if I had to guess.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:55 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

anyone use any green compound schumacher tires before? how do they compare as far as feel to blue and yellow?
Old 03-23-2019, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Where do you find green compounds?

Here is the current color chart posted on AMain, I have not tried Silver because the track in our area is on turf, and nobody likes to run their 1/10 cars on the adjacent 1/8 dirt track... shrug

The track recently started an Oval program and I saw one guy running Yellow Cactus with decent results, I can only imagine that Silver would do phenomenally better!

Old 03-23-2019, 11:11 AM
mes
Tech Elite

There used to be a green and an orange compound back in the days before astroturf. IIRC orange was ultra soft and green maybe a bit harder than yellow, but I am not sure. All I remember is that we did not always use inserts back then because most tires were so hard you would not need them. Now I'm feeling old again...
In my experience tire wear is subject to the type of carpet you race on and track layout. Some years ago, Model Indoor Oss used carpet tiles and you would need two or more pairs of Minipins per race day. After they switched to EOS carpet, your one set of mandatory race tires would last for several practice days. I found JConcepts rubber wear better than Schumacher tires and work pretty well on carpet, but the Pin Downs buggy tires were much slower vs Schumacher due to their high profile. On stadium truck, they are my go-to carpet tire. The ST Proline Prisms Z3 did not generate enough grip wheras the Wedges would engage the track markers too easily and ruin lap times. They worked pretty good on Astrturf together with the Pyramids, though, and seem to have a very good wear rate. I can't wait to see how the Nessi performs on Astroturf. I'd be ok with slightly slower lap times as long as I'll get a day or two more out of them compared to the Darts.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Green is a wet grass compound. Don't think they sell much these days!
Old 03-25-2019, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bgymr
Has anyone ran Schumacher blue compound rears on carpet? Do they last longer? I was thinking about getting some practice tires.
I like them in 4w. Tight indoor track I am faster on blues and they last longer. Able to be way more consistent with them.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by billdelong
on the turf track in our area, the yellow compound tires are running more consistent and actually lasting a couple race days longer than the blues where blues might go 4-6 race days and yellows are lasting 6-8 race days... things might change as temps heat up and we hit summer months with the turf track in our area being covered but outdoors.
6 race days .... WOW

In the UK we get about 2 runs (yes 2 5 minute runs) out of a set of rear Mini Dartrs in 2wd mod (only really mod racing in UK). After that there is still life in them but they are 1/2s per lap slower or more depending on how much forward drive the layout demands, most tend to put them in the box for practice days after 2-3 runs.
Nothing else out there lasts any longer either (new Proline tires might, yet to try them).
I've no idea how you get 6 days of useful out of a set.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RogerM
6 race days .... WOW

In the UK we get about 2 runs (yes 2 5 minute runs) out of a set of rear Mini Dartrs in 2wd mod (only really mod racing in UK). After that there is still life in them but they are 1/2s per lap slower or more depending on how much forward drive the layout demands, most tend to put them in the box for practice days after 2-3 runs.
Nothing else out there lasts any longer either (new Proline tires might, yet to try them).
I've no idea how you get 6 days of useful out of a set.
The turf they are using at the club in my area was recycled from an indoor athletic arena, I guess you can say it's more of a medium pile length which allow the pins to dig deeper into the turf to generate a ton of traction, almost like driving on velrco, ha!

With a brand new set of tires, my car feels twitchy (over responsive) to where I dial back the steering speed to around 90% to make the car very easy to control, then each following race day, I'll increase the steering speed by 1% increments to account for tire wear in order to maintain my hot lap times where somewhere between 96%-98% steering speed is when the lap times start to fade and the tires need to be replaced then reset the steering speed back to 90% again.

Here's a sample run to give you an idea of what the level of traction I was getting with some tires that have seen about 12 runs through them and steering speed at 93% or roughly half worn Schumacher Cactus Yellow's:

*** It's worth noting that I am running 4WD stock 13.5T which are 2 contributing factors to longer tire wear.... 13.5T motors are significantly slower and don't wear nearly as fast, plus 4WD cars tend to offer almost double the life of the 2WD 17.5T stock buggies... excessive tire wear on 2WD is the main reason I chose to only run 4WD classes... in fact my TEKNO ET410 will get about 15 race days on a set of ProLine Wedge/Pyramid ST tires in Z3 compound
Cain and JCG1 like this.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone tried the hobao hyper tt tires on carpet? They look closer to a Double Dee copy than carpet tires but for the price I was considering trying a set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobao-11109-Hyper-10-TT-Off-Road-Truck-Tires-w-Foam-4-OFNA-21247/392126160847?epid=4023883713&hash=item5b4c8a5fcf:g :i94AAOSwF2FbpTGt:sc:USPSFirstClass!28277!US!-1

Old 04-20-2019, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My local crc black carpet tracks only allows slicks like the Proline Prime (clay compound).
Old 04-21-2019, 06:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by zmlnr8
Anyone tried the hobao hyper tt tires on carpet? They look closer to a Double Dee copy than carpet tires but for the price I was considering trying a set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobao-11109-Hyper-10-TT-Off-Road-Truck-Tires-w-Foam-4-OFNA-21247/392126160847?epid=4023883713&hash=item5b4c8a5fcf:g :i94AAOSwF2FbpTGt:sc:USPSFirstClass!28277!US!-1
I ran them on turf once, they are decent, but a pinch too soft of a compound for my liking where the harder the compound the better the traction for turf. I prefer ProLine Wedge on front and Pyramid on rear in Z3 compound where the HoBao tires are softer than the Z4 compound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.