Like Tree2Likes

RTR or KIT?

Old 05-23-2017, 01:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default RTR or KIT?

I'm interested in buying an axial bomber soon and wondering what you guys think i should do. get a kit or rtr. I would like it to be as cheap as possible but if the kits better il just save a little longer I know the kit comes with some upgraded parts but is it worth the extra price of buying separately? as far as assembling the kit I'm fine with that
Old 05-23-2017, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

kit..will help you understand how to fix it when you need to repair it
Old 05-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Kit could be better but it all depends on what you're planning.

For example, if you're going big dollar brushless you're probably still going to need HD bevel gears and better rear lower links like VP so the extra good bits in the kit might be replaced anyway.

The RTR is surprisingly robust for a brushed setup and you could pick one up lightly used for a bargain. I'm running stock gearing on 3S with a Titan 550 size 21T (~28T 540 size equiv I guess) and a Hobbywing WP 80 ESC both of which are extremely affordable. It's a fantastic setup for rock bouncing and the Bomber totally stock has handled many months or bashing around. I simply added a $5 metal servo horn. Not a single thing has broken apart from tha stock plastic horn). Loads of fun and temps are great in the cool weather. A 2sp will give you great low speed crawling in summer. That's my plan as brushed worked great contrary to pop op and is very water tolerant and they are dirt cheap to replace.

Add a Tekin Pro or Roc412 and you will start spending up big on trying to hold everything together.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Tech Rookie

ya I was thinking kit but now I saw the axial deadbolt for $300, would that perform similar to a bomber? I'm mostly be trail driving and bashing on grass and gravel
Old 05-24-2017, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boss_ben
I'm interested in buying an axial bomber soon and wondering what you guys think i should do. get a kit or rtr. I would like it to be as cheap as possible but if the kits better il just save a little longer I know the kit comes with some upgraded parts but is it worth the extra price of buying separately? as far as assembling the kit I'm fine with that

If you just want the one truck, and if you don't anticipate buying other vehicles, then the RTR is a good deal.

But if you already have a good radio, or if you just want the max performance out of the vehicle, then buy the kit.

I'm gonna guess that the electronics that come with the RTR cost $100 of the total cost? But if you buy electronics separately, you will spend more than $100 to get a running truck. I think it'd be difficult to get a transmitter w/ receiver, motor, ESC, and servo for under $300 of you buy them separately. So in this respect the kit is a good deal.

But I probably would not buy an RTR. I already have a nice transmitter, and I personally prefer to pay a little more for higher quality. I already know I would be dissatisfied with the quality of the electronics, and I would not use the included radio anyway. So for me personally, I would end up saving money buying the kit, because I would not use the included electronics.

This isn't to say there is anything fundamentally wrong with the components that are included. The electronics of an RTR are engineered to work together as a system. The components you buy separately are over-engineered, because the mfg doesn't know what motor will run with which ESC, and in what size vehicle. But on the RTR, engineers can carefully match the motor and ESC to the vehicle. This allows them to reduce the cost of components without sacrificing reliability.

A lot of guys here will always say to avoid RTRs, but the thing is that it is a bargain if you run it as is. And if you are running the RTR, I wouldn't stress about upgrades.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

The Deadbolt is meant to be the best of the version 1 SCX10s. It has the HD Wild Boar driveshafts which are great. I'm not sure about steel transmission gears which are essential and expensive. I doubt it has steel links as well though neither does the Bomber but as least they are fine on the Bomber as long as it's not setup for Yeti speed.

The Bomber is one of the best all round Axials. The SCX10 is not a good truck to bash as they ar strictly crawlers though the Bomber is better as a rock bouncer than a basher as it had locked diffs and a drag brake.

The Bomber and SCX10 are cool trucks but if you're looking for a trail truck the Yeti or Losi Rock Rey are better. I own them all and they RR is the best trail/go fast machine but no drag brake or sensored setup which does limit it. Add those items and locked diffs for a killer all round rig. Yeti is also great but costs a bomb to beef up.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm a kit guy myself, I got the Axial SCORE TT Kit
Old 05-25-2017, 01:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Kits are for manly men

RTR is for little kids and lazy Americans

I kid, of course. I feel building kits is just more rewarding if you can. You get to feel more ownership of the thing when you put all the parts together just so and get it out to drive for the first time. Then you tune it, select the peripherals, customize how it looks...it's much more than taking a toy out of a box and turning it on. It will give you a head start too when stuff breaks and you have to do repairs. Nothing against RTR because so many of them are just the kits already built for you, if all you want is to drive immediately. I think kits will be more for someone that wants this as a hobby as opposed to an occasional distraction.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

Kit, no question.

RTR means all the choices have been made for you. Buying a kit gives you control over every aspect of the car (tires, electronics, etc.)
Old 05-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IF you fall into the "Gotta Have it now, Instant Gratification " category, get the RTR. If you don't mind taking your time or want to build it "your way" then go the Kit route.

The advantages of the kit are already stated. The other thought process is given the amount of after-market, should you WANT to upgrade parts on it, you could do so AS you build it. If you are buying it to go play by the weekend, then RTR makes sense. If you aren't in a rush and want to add aftermarket, doing it as you build is the better way to go.

It also depends on kit experience, if you are planning to knock it out in a day or over a few days, or what is your timeline. Perhaps order those "Must have" upgrades before or at the same time you order the kit bomber so you can have them for the build.

Good Luck!

MOmo
Old 05-25-2017, 03:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you consider RC cars toys - RTR.
If you consider RC cars a hobby - kit.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

One point is that the kit still has lots of stuff in it that you don't want and plenty of things still need changing. Rod ends that break, gears that often still need upgrading etc. The kit means a non working truck and the OP said budget was important.

Best by far to buy dirt cheap second hand in lightly used condition and go from there.

You will get a modified truck for cheap than likely will be clearly better than a kit version. If you want to learn about the truck, just pull it apart. They are simple.

I picked up a SH Yeti with VP gear and all the essential metal bits that just needed HD gears, bearings, an ESC and servo to be 3S tough and all that still cost less than a kit or RTR Yeti and it's naturally far more robust and reliable.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:01 PM
Tech Regular

If you don't plan on buying other stuff then RTR might be OK but most people end up buying multiple vehicles over some course of time so you end up with a bazillion radios. Sometimes it's better just to buy a decent radio That you can use as your only radio with all of your vehicles. Most people go that way eventually
Old 05-25-2017, 06:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There's no right or wrong answer. It's a personal choice. And at least with the vehicles you are interested in you have the option.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:50 AM
Tech Rookie

thank you all so much! I'm going with a kit! I have a radio battery and charger. now, what about a sponsored brushless combo? I would like to spend under $125 but I'm not sure if that will happen. also any servo suggestions?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.