Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree15Likes

What ESC Do You Like -Stock Buggy Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The XR10 justock can handle 13.5 no? Does adding the quad supercapacitor do anything?
Old 05-18-2017, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

running a xr10 just stock in my 13.5 4wd, it's doing okay (3 races so far), not my first choice as it was something i bought for a backup and had to use it cause my orion r10 pro popped
Old 05-19-2017, 03:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
running a xr10 just stock in my 13.5 4wd, it's doing okay (3 races so far), not my first choice as it was something i bought for a backup and had to use it cause my orion r10 pro popped
Yeah I have an extra one that I had bought for a stock SCT but the class is deader than dead at my local track so was hoping to use it on the Tekno EB410 when it comes out this summer and 13.5 as stock 4WD is going to take off.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
Tekin or HobbyWing. Don't look elsewhere.
+1

I used to run all kinds of off brands in the past, and used to swear by brands such as BrushlessHobbies/X-Car and SkyRC/Toro brands as well... but found many brands of ESC's like these wouldn't stand the test of time. They are all great ESC's when new, but after too many hard landings and/or crashes, the internals start to act strange... anywhere from random glitching after landing from a jump, to sometimes losing control of steering and the car might go WOT into a wall, or even worse, hit a turn marshal. Ever since one of my cars nailed a marshal (after losing control from a faulty/damaged ESC) I've since switched over to a more reliable brand, and that's been HobbyWing for me.

I have some HobbyWing ESC's that are approaching 4 years old and still going strong... that's hard to say for most other brands in this price range
Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Hobbywing xr10 stock.... if you can wait... the Maclan Pico stock esc.

Both will have the same features as their high end models but lower amperage and at an affordable price too.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

a note for the hobbywing ESC's, I've run a 8.5t in a 2wd short course with the original justock with no issues. The new justock is rated for higher amps so it should be fine with the mild mod motors if you ever wanted to run them,

I've been running v3.1 120a escs in everything lately and more than happy with them, I picked them all up used so I saved some cash and now I'm set up to run any motor I would ever want to run,
Old 05-19-2017, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by billdelong
+1

I used to run all kinds of off brands in the past, and used to swear by brands such as BrushlessHobbies/X-Car and SkyRC/Toro brands as well... but found many brands of ESC's like these wouldn't stand the test of time. They are all great ESC's when new, but after too many hard landings and/or crashes, the internals start to act strange... anywhere from random glitching after landing from a jump, to sometimes losing control of steering and the car might go WOT into a wall, or even worse, hit a turn marshal. Ever since one of my cars nailed a marshal (after losing control from a faulty/damaged ESC) I've since switched over to a more reliable brand, and that's been HobbyWing for me.

I have some HobbyWing ESC's that are approaching 4 years old and still going strong... that's hard to say for most other brands in this price range
super high grip carpets, cars do not slip, give and slide like they do on dirt, it's punishing to some degree and weeds out the weak by putting more stress/load on ESCs. seen what you say above on trackstar, turnigy, x-car, skyrc, toro, etc. type ESCs stutter/cog, overheat (even with fans) shutdown/thermal despite showing amp ratings on par with top brand ESCs.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have run the rs gen 2 (currently running) but have ran the rs spec and hobbywing xr10 justock also . I would recommend the rs gen 2 if buget is not a problem but honestly for the money it is really hard to beat the hobbywing xr10 juststock . I like the tekin a little better just because I have been a long time user and I like the adjustments I can do with the Hotwire (just wish they had a card or something so I don't have to use my laptop) And also like the posts on the esc for the wires (makes it a lot easier to change the wires if needed) . But I would definitely recommend the justock to anyone wanting a good esc for stock/spec racing on a budget . It has plenty of adjustments and like I said it hard to beat for the money .
Old 05-19-2017, 12:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer56556
I have run the rs gen 2 (currently running) but have ran the rs spec and hobbywing xr10 justock also . I would recommend the rs gen 2 if buget is not a problem but honestly for the money it is really hard to beat the hobbywing xr10 juststock . I like the tekin a little better just because I have been a long time user and I like the adjustments I can do with the Hotwire (just wish they had a card or something so I don't have to use my laptop) And also like the posts on the esc for the wires (makes it a lot easier to change the wires if needed) . But I would definitely recommend the justock to anyone wanting a good esc for stock/spec racing on a budget . It has plenty of adjustments and like I said it hard to beat for the money .
I bought an old Droid phone for like $20, I use that with the hotwire, makes adjustments easy like the card would.

I know the new hotwire 3 is being tested right now and will be iPhone compatible which is gonna be a huge plus just not sure of a release date, but I know some team drivers are already using it
Old 06-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gus6464
The XR10 justock can handle 13.5 no? Does adding the quad supercapacitor do anything?
The quad cap makes the ESC perform better, cooler etc specially if your thinking about using in 13.5 wheeler.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Never ran the hobbywing but would have no problem with it.
There are just some things about the tekin that I like over the HW. The solder posts the sensor wire on top and the capacitor that virtually takes up no room. Never needs a fan and hotwire can make it easy to adjust
Old 06-13-2017, 02:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

All the mentioned ESC are fantastic. Recently I tried the Maclan MMX Pro and was most imprest by its overall on track performance, precise feedback modulation of throttle/brake and tunning ability. I used this ESC primarily for Stock racing and have also tested with Modified applications. You wouldn't be dissapointed.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Another vote for hobbywing here, my 120a v3.1 is one of the smoothest esc's I've used. Very much so on par with my orion r10, however smoother. I've been running the r10 in one 13.5 car of mine and am swapping to the HW this week. The r10 was good, but needs a new cap and switch. I should also note that I raced a 17.5 class this weekend ( I don't drive 2wd ) and was on pace to win the A-main with one bobble being enough to cost me the race. Electronics were r10 stock spec/LRP 17.5, they performed excellently. So the r10 is nothing to scoff at IMO but I do believe the HW are just as good.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Tekin RS Gen 2, small and lightweight. The data logger is a great help in Stock. You can visual see that your getting the most out of your motor.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:41 AM

tekin rs gen 2. I've been running this for over 2 years and have never had any issues. Plus it's small, and light. Good for buggies with limited space.