Wiki Posts
Search

Slash 4x4 and Tekin RX8 v2

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Slash 4x4 and Tekin RX8 v2

What are going to be the best settings to use for my Slash 4x4? It is a monster slash running 2.8" Badland MX tires, and a sensored Tekin Pro4 4000kv motor. I run 2s on it. I have MIP X duties front and rear.

Seems a lot slower than it should be, I think. I may just not know what I am doing with the program on the HotWire. Hotwire is the newest version of 258. I think I have the Hotwire 2.0, it has a black case.

I am coming from a Castle MMP, and while I had constant overheating issues with it, that Castle blamed on being too aggressively setup, I really liked the field programming card and settings. I likes he brake setup where I would need to brake, and then do it again for reverse.... The RX8 seems to jsut slam into reverse, and that worries me.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Two things I could see it being.

1. Those tires are on the heavier side and will take more to accelerate as well as keep it going.

2. This is the biggest thing. Gearing. What pinion and spur are you using? Remember the smaller the pinion the slower it goes but has higher power. The larger the pinion the faster it goes but has less power. Also the larger the pinion the more prone the motor is to overheating. Try to find a balance between the two.

It's all relative though. Your slow may be fast to me. Do you know how fast it's going exactly? If not there are speed calculators that will help find the right gearing for the speed you want.

If you try everything you could switch to a higher kv motor. I use a 4600 kv in my sct410 and there was a noticeable difference between 4000 and 4600

As for reverse there are 3 settings. For/brk for/rev and for/brk/rev. Sounds like you may have it on for/rev. It's been a while since I used that esc so I could be wrong.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jimbo74
What are going to be the best settings to use for my Slash 4x4? It is a monster slash running 2.8" Badland MX tires, and a sensored Tekin Pro4 4000kv motor. I run 2s on it. I have MIP X duties front and rear.

Seems a lot slower than it should be, I think. I may just not know what I am doing with the program on the HotWire. Hotwire is the newest version of 258. I think I have the Hotwire 2.0, it has a black case.

I am coming from a Castle MMP, and while I had constant overheating issues with it, that Castle blamed on being too aggressively setup, I really liked the field programming card and settings. I likes he brake setup where I would need to brake, and then do it again for reverse.... The RX8 seems to jsut slam into reverse, and that worries me.

I would start by performing a factory reset on the ESC.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Another thing to add. Since you have the rx8 already. You could switch to a 1/8th motor and run it on 4s. Then you'll really have speed options. I just don't know what you would have to do to the slash to make the motor fit and it handle all that power.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok, so a little update finally.... not happy with the monster slash... I like the way it looks and the wheelies, but it is just too top heavy for my driving style. I drive fast and furious

I think the motor is getting warmer than it should. and my rx8 does turn it's fan on automatically, frequently.... haven't temped the motor yet.... gearing is at 16/52. also went back to bald stock, short course tires, on 2s.... I still have more esc tweaking to do, but I think it is a lot closer to where I want it

now running front and rear MIP x duty axles... they are heavy! I weighed one front vs stock (18 grams) and the MIP is 3x! the weight @ 54 grams

I run a flysky gt3c.... it might be having issues, I just ordered some generic sct wheels and tires from china for $18.99 and also a traxxxas tqi with tsm and bluetooth module for $70