Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree478Likes

TLR 22 4.0

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-22-2017, 06:19 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 4.0
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt M.
22-4.0 Wiki

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:44 AM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

1.4x3 front pistons: anyone using these. Was this thinking of keeping 1.7 2 hole rears. Thought was a little more of power steering. It retaining pack on hi speed driving and jumps. Would this take away a little rear traction on medium bite clay?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAE
1.4x3 front pistons: anyone using these. Was this thinking of keeping 1.7 2 hole rears. Thought was a little more of power steering. It retaining pack on hi speed driving and jumps. Would this take away a little rear traction on medium bite clay?
Have you tried moving the front spindles forward or a stiffer rear spring before changing pistons?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:54 AM
JAE
Tech Master

No, my thought was to gain a little more off power steering with the piston change without sacrificing rear grip with a stiffer spring....What I've done is I shimmed the rear hubs forward (1mm front 3mm rear). Gave a lot more rotation and grip, but am unsure if I'm losing corner speed, as I didn't get lap times called out that day. On a whim, also ended up moving shocks in on the front arm which gave a perfect amount of steering. But am thinking these may be bandaids. And may go back to even rear hub spacing and shock on the middle bottom hole inside with a piston change. Already went from a kyo gold to white front too which was much better (Yok green on rear). Running 3 trail and 1 Ackerman plate (3 Ackerman plate didn't have mid corner for me). Also played with going from 1mm to 1.5mm spacer on steering spindle which helps. Coming from a kyo hence steering bias. It's still way easier to drive like cheating. The starting setup was Jake Thayer stock nats

Originally Posted by Pistol123
Have you tried moving the front spindles forward or a stiffer rear spring before changing pistons?
Old 09-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAE
No, my thought was to gain a little more off power steering with the piston change without sacrificing rear grip with a stiffer spring....What I've done is I shimmed the rear hubs forward (1mm front 3mm rear). Gave a lot more rotation and grip, but am unsure if I'm losing corner speed, as I didn't get lap times called out that day. On a whim, also ended up moving shocks in on the front arm which gave a perfect amount of steering. But am thinking these may be bandaids. And may go back to even rear hub spacing and shock on the middle bottom hole inside with a piston change. Already went from a kyo gold to white front too which was much better (Yok green on rear). Running 3 trail and 1 Ackerman plate (3 Ackerman plate didn't have mid corner for me). Also played with going from 1mm to 1.5mm spacer on steering spindle which helps. Coming from a kyo hence steering bias. It's still way easier to drive like cheating. The starting setup was Jake Thayer stock nats
I know where are coming from 're band aid, but I try to set pistons and oil based on bumps then use geo to tune handling balance it's easier to adjust track side etc and on grass needs adjusting as the track wears.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Tech Adept

What size turnbuckle spanner does the 22 4.0 need?
Old 09-06-2017, 09:15 PM
NRP
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by NRP
Hi all. Finished my build and am trying to set the rear ride height to 23mm, but I cannot seem to get it that low. I'm using the stock kit rear springs (white) and kit spring cups. The rear shock collars are backed all the way out, but I still need to lower the rear by 3-4mm. I think I've assembled everything correctly. What options do I have?

I'm going to run on a small, clay outdoor track that looks to be a low grip surface.
So, to answer my own question . . . I used Team Associated 12mm shock spring cups (P/N: 91310). There are 3 sizes of cups in the package, and I had to use the smallest one. It's a close fit, but it looks like it will work.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ritchie T
What size turnbuckle spanner does the 22 4.0 need?
4mm
Old 09-06-2017, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Maybe do a search on that online auction site for "tlr 22 axle." Came up with an older part number that may include the part you're looking for: TLR2973, one was under $8 with shipping. Although the idea of having spares is always appealing for a lot of us rc hoarder types.

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
I'd like to find the stock pieces in the original material. Kyosho crush tubes didn't fit, 2 b5m front aluminum ones were close....I don't want to have fab anything up. TLR needs to make the part available, if it's not already. I think their full line of off road cars uses the same part. I ended finding the complete axle/bone set on Amazon for $24.99 (probably the same ones somebody mentioned) which was a killer deal but a total waste. My local hobby stores don't carry anything useful. I'd have to drive an hour to find a shop that might have something that I could make work. I hope this was a fluke and I don't run into a similar problem again. I swore off TLR for at least 5 years and only recently they very slowly won me back over....this is not a good sign.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tom87
4mm
You do get a turnbuckle wrench in the kit.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

pm me your address i have some extras i can send you a couple

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
I'd like to find the stock pieces in the original material. Kyosho crush tubes didn't fit, 2 b5m front aluminum ones were close....I don't want to have fab anything up. TLR needs to make the part available, if it's not already. I think their full line of off road cars uses the same part. I ended finding the complete axle/bone set on Amazon for $24.99 (probably the same ones somebody mentioned) which was a killer deal but a total waste. My local hobby stores don't carry anything useful. I'd have to drive an hour to find a shop that might have something that I could make work. I hope this was a fluke and I don't run into a similar problem again. I swore off TLR for at least 5 years and only recently they very slowly won me back over....this is not a good sign.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mark-rc
Can I ask what make of carbon front tower is that in the photos?
Looks like the one we use:

http://visionracing.net/product/tlr-...ock-tower-5mm/

We sand and seal the edges with CA glue to prevent fracturing the carbon fiber.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone trying the laydown 4.0 on an outside dirt track?

Any spur/pinion gear covers available for the laydown?

We are experimenting with it on a hard packed track with a med-loose surface were blockaid tires work best. So far we have started with two 4.0 buggies: one as a kit setup standup with the 30g anti-squat brass pivot and a full size shorty all the way back, the other as a kit setup laydown with the 50g brass weight under the tranny and the 27g anti-squat brass pivot and a slim shorty.
I started with the standup and my son (a much better driver than I) with the laydown. Then we switched. We both had the same conclusion:
Laydown was easier to drive. Seemed to have better traction around corners. The only problem is grit getting into the spur/pinion gears. We tried to protect it a little but wasn't good enough. Hopefully we can find or come up with a solution.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:07 PM
JAE
Tech Master

edit: dremeled the brass down to th surface of the kick shim then removed the kick shim. Can't say this is very evenly done hope it works okay

Originally Posted by charvel74
I remember talking with another driver on Facebook group 22 empire. He said " I milled about .050 off the top portion of the bulkhead that keys into the chassis and removed the shim. Then I used a shim to move the bumper back out" I think his setup was geared toward running mod. So the buggy is heavier to get the extra needed grip

Last edited by JAE; 09-07-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Got my SR almost done, an amazing build! Only shocks left!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Tech Initiate

I have the stock Main gear on mine, should i change it ? and to what with what pinion ?

I run on carpet with slicks and 17.5 Motor on 2s.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.