Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Scale E-Buggy Decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 1/8 Scale E-Buggy Decision

So I have decided to jump into 1/8 scale buggy but having a hard time deciding on what kit to go with. Would love some advice

First some info
1. My local track is Indy RC World in Garland Tx. It is an indoor track but I am not sure how to describe the surface. Its fairly bumpy and has some loose dirt but seems to be fairly hard packed. Don't think it is clay so I guess you would say hard packed dirt indoors. They claim it is an 1/8 scale track but I would say it is a large 1/10 scale
2. It appears all these buggies are well supported with parts in stock at IRC.
3. I am essentially a newb so I don't want a platform where out the box it is setup for someone with years of experience. Easier to drive is what I am looking for so I can slowly change the setup to get more speed as my skills develop. I don't want a platform that is fast but requires skill to get around the track without crashing.

AE RC8B3E
Pros - Great global support. Good value. Seems to get good reviews even though older buggies did not. Quick Diff Access (see cons). Pillow Balls
Cons - Seems to have some diff issues? Not many people seem to run it maybe due to previous versions? Pillow balls? Don't like cutting out bodies!

TLR 8ightE 4.0
Pros - Great global support. Good Value. Don't know much else about it to be honest but I like the idea of running more power to the front to make it easier to drive by changing the way the motor mounts
Cons - Pre cut body, $100 more than AE (but comes with pre cut body and 2 sets of wheels), doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews out there. Not as much part support at my LHS. Seems to crack axles alot.

Tekno EB48.4
Pros - Seems durable and easier to drive than EB48.3. Good parts support
Cons - Brand new so not totally clear on the platform. Uncut Body

Tekno - EB48SL
Pros - $340 now on amain. Gives me cheaper options on electronics and may work well due to track size on either 2s or 4s. Seems to be pretty durable as well. Good Parts Support
Cons - Don't really know much about how it drives as doesn't have as much support as other listed. Not as durable as EB48.4. Uncut body

Mugen MBX-7R ECO
Pros - Seems like a great platform and well supported.
Cons - Parts seem to be really expensive. Uncut body

Thanks for any input
Old 01-24-2017, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I recommend Tekno EB48.4
Old 01-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (92%+)

I second that
Old 01-24-2017, 03:10 PM
ASA
Tech Adept

I would go the TLR for easy to drive out of the box, the 4.0 is way nicer and easier to drive than the 3.0 too so gets the thumbs up from my corner
Old 01-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Tekno
but if you gonna base your descision off wether or not a body is cut or not? There are more things to worry about,dont let that be your diciding factor,unless you dont have body trimming shears. Tekno is the most popular ebuggy, the new .4 is pretty good.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

@hairymuffin the body being cut is nowhere near my deciding factor but if two buggies basically offer the same value proposition and one has a precut body I will run with that one.

I have the unfortunate traits of shaky hands and OCD so I end up buying 3-4 bodies every time and trim them until I get it to my liking.

First world problems for sure
Old 01-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i would go with mugen mbx7r eco which has a precut body
or try the new hb racing e817 buggy or
new tekno eb48.4
Old 01-24-2017, 05:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You are in XRAY country! RC America is right near you and I believe the hobby shop at Indy has everything you would need. The best thing would be the local driver support. There are a number of team drivers near you that are willing to help and answer any questions that you may have.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skent
@hairymuffin the body being cut is nowhere near my deciding factor but if two buggies basically offer the same value proposition and one has a precut body I will run with that one.

I have the unfortunate traits of shaky hands and OCD so I end up buying 3-4 bodies every time and trim them until I get it to my liking.

First world problems for sure
You can do what I did and outsource the paint job I'm a terrible painter so I am more than happy to pay the extra cost to get it done right. I think my recent buggy body for my eb48 came out to $78 total. He cut the vent holes and everything.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

*following*
Can you add a poll to this.?
I'm getting ready to be in the same boat, but different location.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

@Pville Stig who should I talk to about Xray? Never really considered it but respect the brand and if parts and team support is near might be a winner. Just hate the website lol. Good lord that dude in the suit and tie is a beating lol.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

go with the mugen mbx7r eco it comes with a precut body.
as for parts being really expensive.
i have not broken anything on my buggy or truggy all last year summer racing outdoors.

if you do break something buy the parts on ebay!!!
Old 01-25-2017, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Agama A215E, very easy to drive, super smooth and very dependable buggy as well. Only part I've broke was a rear body mount from 2 Truggys crashing into me while upside down.
Very smooth and easy build as well, parts are durable as well and plenty of places to buy them online also, NemoRacing USA, Amain, Absolute Hobbyz, Go Fast (FB page)

Billy T. one of the main Nemo drivers and managers is out of TX and I believe Indy RC in TX carries the kits and the parts as well. There's a lot of other in the TX area running them also.

One of the outdoor tracks I run at, I'm the first buggy that leaves, blue front neon yellow body.
https://youtu.be/6QqA1nSipPE
Old 01-25-2017, 06:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

@Pville Stig who should I talk to about Xray? Never really considered it but respect the brand and if parts and team support is near might be a winner. Just hate the website lol. Good lord that dude in the suit and tie is a beating lol.
Tex can and will answer every and any question. He is a wealth of knowledge on setting up the X-Ray.
Tex is a super nice guy but is extremely busy because of that so have some patience when asking him question.
If Tex is busy there are a lot of X-Ray drivers that will also welcome you and assist you with your questions.
The X-Ray is more expensive as many will point out but unless you drive into the wall at a high speed you will not be replacing parts.
Good Luck with your car choice
Old 01-25-2017, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Any questions you have i can try to answer. If i dont know i'll find out for you. Its sounds like just talking to the owners of Indy you should be in good hands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.