Wiki Posts
Search

Why no sct?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by floyd2810
2w mod buggy the f1 of electric off road, what is e-buggy??
What is Ebuggy?

Dumb
Old 12-19-2016, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcus3r
Generalizations.

Challenging and rewarding depends on lot of factors. Depends on where you run; who you run with. Competition is what is challenging and rewarding.

Easy to drive and never as serious. Strongly disagree. At a serious level, nothing is easy.

Regardless. Opinions like this perpetuate stereotypes. For some reason, SCT takes the brunt of it. Unfortunate...
If you're used to running 2whl mod/4whl mod for years and years... Mod SCT is easy to drive.

I'm not bashing it, I ran mod SCT at 3 major races this year across the country. Ran the same setup at all these races and finished pretty damn well

It's so easy and FUN
Old 12-19-2016, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcus3r
Generalizations.

Challenging and rewarding depends on lot of factors. Depends on where you run; who you run with. Competition is what is challenging and rewarding.

Easy to drive and never as serious. Strongly disagree. At a serious level, nothing is easy.

Regardless. Opinions like this perpetuate stereotypes. For some reason, SCT takes the brunt of it. Unfortunate...
Man you touched my soul with this !!!

but deep down I know it only proves my bias, but in many ways I see a little clearer, after reading all the comments I see now we all deeply Love our favorite classes and rationalize That according to our own values and beliefs, For me I like to rationalize and argue my points using facts I think mostly because facts arent up for debate, But I know Now that does not make me Right.

there seems to be a separation of hobby and sport, Basher and Racer and tho I see my self as a racer a sportsman the truth is my ideals do not line up with the sport because in the sport you have to be good at all classes to be successful an many of the people I race with understand this and run many classes, they seem to be capable of both even if there only truely good at one.

part of me loves it and part of me hates it, I caint afford to have multiple chassis but then again ill spend 2500$ on one, but even If I could Im certainly not capable of loveing them all
and there's part of me that thinks its all set up to keep consumers consuming
and if you got some capital a good marketing skeem and some stickers your in at the same time the company's that produce for the racers do a good job of seperating that bs catch 22 I guess

for me I only love and Race my sct it gets 100% of my love and dedication I fallen so deep in love with the machine and my connection to it its not even funny, as If I were Living out some type of fantasy of becoming a pro. I relate to the Sct because they are raced in full size so I see now how one can quickly develop a false sense of superiority, and I see why there are some here to remind us there just toys. and I see why bashers hate us we suck the fun right out of this we came to win.

anyway this is just my truth my faults for witch I'm accountable there's no doubt I'm strange but below the surface what is not, dig deep and you might find your self what matters is can you love that imperfect person.

in the end you can only understand that we are all diff and the same.

Last edited by PhilipBGreen; 12-19-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
Take out turn marshalls and putting vehicles back upright and racing that does not go on for 45 minutes per class. The general public may be able to understand and watch it then. It's a video game with unlimited lives the way we have it now.
Very True !!!
Old 12-19-2016, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

I love short course. There's no hacking and bashing here, but on a carpet track it is very difficult to switch from buggy and stadium truck to SCT. Tough to recalibrate the sense of speed. It is more difficult to get a short course truck around a track... factor in nearly unlimited grip on carpet and it is not even close! The sct will traction roll if you sneeze in its direction.

I like sct a lot more on clay than carpet. Now that stadium truck has taken off here though, I won't be running sct in the near future. But next time I visit clay, the sct will be coming along.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like SCT because it's easy for me to relate to a pickup truck, even in competition form. Been around trucks all my life. Back when RC10s ruled the world, buggies looked similar to the VW and Corvair powered 1:1 versions. Today's racing buggies and stadium trucks don't look like anything you see in real life. I guess a more scale appearance appeals to me.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

Like others have said, I love short course racing. There's something about the realism that attracts me to it. But then again, I'm a fan of full size Baja, Trophy and short course as well. The trucks handle different than anything else. The style of racing is different as well. If a driver tries to run a short course truck the way they do a buggy, I can see why it would be frustrating. Look at the full size trucks, they almost drift around the turns. They bottom out with stuff flying when they land flat off a jump. The ability to have multiple trucks drifting through a turn at high speed while rubbing fenders is exciting to me. You also have to drive defensively. Positioning your truck to gain an advantage if the other guy rubs you wrong is a racecraft skill that doesn't apply to other classes. Nobody take this the wrong way but in auto competition you're always going to have certain versions that consider themselves more elite than the others. Look at F1 compared to NASCAR. Then throw in Dirt Modified. Hennessy to Budweiser to Thunderbird. Throw in Derby and you've got Mad Dog. The idea isn't to compare them as what's better, but instead recognize them for their differences. Then do what you enjoy.

As far as short course being a hack fest, yep, it's happened to me as well. I'm in a podium position and I get slammed by a guy I've lapped twice. I don't look at it as his fault. No, it's my fault for not anticipating him and maneuvering to avoid the situation. This has added a whole new element to racing and I personally enjoy the challenge. Like most things in life, it is what you make it. All my opinions of course. YMMV.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
Take out turn marshalls and putting vehicles back upright and racing that does not go on for 45 minutes per class. The general public may be able to understand and watch it then. It's a video game with unlimited lives the way we have it now.
Exactly. I love it when people crash, and then throw a hissy fit when the marshal takes more than 2 seconds to get them back going on the track like they shouldn't have to pay a penalty for their mistake.

Drone racing is perfect for television. It's fast paced and doesn't take long for the race to finish. And if you crash, you're done. I have really enjoyed watching it. I like the format and how they focus on the pilots and get you rooting for your favorites.

It would be fun to see them do the same thing with r/c cars using the fatshark systems and such but I don't see how they could really make the same thing work mostly because of the camera shake due to the terrain. I have watched on-board videos on YouTube and it about gives you a headache. But it would be fun to watch a "Death Race" style r/c race, meaning that if you crash, you're out!

As for SCT, yeah it's hit or miss. Can be for some good racing but it seems like people still think of them as Traxxas Slash's and have a hard time taking them serious. 4WD SCT has really taken a hit. I have raced them on and off for years. Personally I don't care for the new "flo-tek" style bodies and I think they have really taken away from the looks and appeal of them. The fun part of them for me back in the day was the realistic looks down to the scale tread on the tires. Stock Slash class was a blast! Now they are just another glorified race class that lost it's way IMHO. Shame.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bubbaslash
I like SCT because it's easy for me to relate to a pickup truck, even in competition form. Been around trucks all my life. Back when RC10s ruled the world, buggies looked similar to the VW and Corvair powered 1:1 versions. Today's racing buggies and stadium trucks don't look like anything you see in real life. I guess a more scale appearance appeals to me.

EXACTLY!!!

Stadium trucks look dumb!
Old 12-20-2016, 06:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dirt42fan
EXACTLY!!!

Stadium trucks look dumb!
Stadium trucks do look extremely curious... but after driving one (my new XT2), I am hooked. About a dozen other regulars at my local track are as well. They are so easy to drive fast... they are nearly as fast as a buggy, but I was turning faster lap times with the stadium truck because it was easier.

SCTs look authentic, buggies look futuristic/cool, stadium trucks just look weird. I love SCT, but I'm done with it on carpet. Way too easy to traction roll... that's the hardest part about driving them on really high grip. I don't mind a little rubbing around the corners, a little contact is okay. But when it gets into hacking, that's no fun. I also don't like the carnage on the bodies... I'm done getting a nice paint job because the body won't even last a season!
Old 12-20-2016, 07:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aeRayls
What is Ebuggy?

Dumb

just like this thread!!!
Old 01-30-2017, 01:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

just like this thread!!!
Maybe you should not be here if you do not like it have you thought about that?
Old 01-30-2017, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2w mod buggy the f1 of electric off road, what is e-buggy??
Idk, super novice? lol Around here 4x4 sc and e buggy classes are a hack fest. not so much with 2wd sc and buggy.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyle_TLRacing
Maybe you should not be here if you do not like it have you thought about that?
Exactly. Who asked for your whiny opinion. The most exciting thing I ever saw in this sport was three racers swapping positions back and forth in a turn! You never forget something like that. E-Buggy is exploding in this area because of the power, you can never get enough. ROAR noticed that the big buggies need more power and allowed them to have a 4 s system. SCT 4x4 needs to have at least 3s, c'mon dino'roar'uses.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:03 AM
Tech Rookie

I don't have any current real track info, but do have some historical reasons.
1. This is suppose to be a relaxing hobby for many. With moderate turn outs, racing multiple classes becomes a rush, and stressful. Less becomes more in terms of enjoying the day. I remember 3 heat days. Drive, marshal, and you have 5 minutes to prep before your next round. Hard enough to change batteries and wheels, forbid gears or an actually repair. You needed a pit crew to enjoy the day.
2. Competition. With limited turn outs, hard to have a lot of strong classes. On top of that, the best want to compete with the best. Plus completion tends to migrate to the fast, responsive, and nimble.
3. Money. We used to have multiple classes with 30 drivers. After figuring out the race schedule, we made theme days. At a minimum every other race was CanAm, but in between was formula 1, NASCAR, and coupe. Likewise stock motors were used about 2 races a year. I don't recall the the schedule, but I think club races were monthly, invitationals monthly (we had clubs within 300 miles get together), 1/8 was monthly, and I would fill in the 4th with a different clubs monthly race.

But except for 1/8, those were cheep classes. Asking a lot more for drivers to have multiple platforms.