Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Off Road Racing Update or keep practicing? >

Off Road Racing Update or keep practicing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Off Road Racing Update or keep practicing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Off Road Racing Update or keep practicing?

I have been running a heavily modded Trash Slash 2wd. (LCG Chassis, VXL Motor/ESC, Savox TG Servo .07 speed. I have it pretty dialed in and have had great success. Very consistent lap times, and typically finish in the top 5 out of 16 drivers. I see a lot of guys running Losi, and Team Associated at the track. I picked up a couple and looked at them and they feel much, much lighter.

My question is should I upgrade my motor to a sensor-ed and something more powerful or would I be better off going to a different frame / platform. If I were to do this I would stick with Team Associated as I have a B5m currently and my local tracks stock all the parts for them.

I wanted to get thoughts from others who may have been in the same situation. I'm a little over 4 months into the hobby and race 2 times a week at the same track and occasionally at another tracks as time permits. Thanks for all your help
Old 10-30-2016, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm fairly new to this as well but I'm three vehicles deep already...

Part of me would say... buy the one you're intrested in getting and roll with it. (If you have the $$).
If not.. see if one of those other cats will let you run one of theirs a bit to see if the different setup lets you run better than you do now.. and if so, pick one up at that point...
Old 10-30-2016, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

That is a good idea and I'll see if they will let me give it a go. Some people are very protective of their baby's / investment lol. I have 4 currently (3 Slashes and 1 Buggy) Well 2 of the slashes are for the kids.

Looking for advice mainly to see if going to a bigger / more powerful motor would make a difference or not or if going to a different platform would be the best route.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've built "Slashes" that will run with the best of them, but spent a lot of $ and trial and error to do it. Since you are already familiar with the Associated 5 series platform, you may do well to pick up an SC5M. My last build was a "Traxxas-based" mid motor truck that is incredibly dialed on indoor clay. But if I had waited a few months, I could have bought the Associated kit for only $310. I'm not sure if either would perform better with a competent driver, but it was a fun build that I spent way too much time and money on. And I'm glad I did. I love when my son pulls the body off and people ask "what is that?" and he answers every question about every component. It's my creation, but I let him build the whole thing, with my guidance. He learned soldering, dremeling, countersinking, and suspension tuning at 9 years of age. He's 11 now. How old are the kids? Maybe help them build up the Slashes as a learning experience for them.

Last edited by bubbaslash; 10-31-2016 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tylem28
I have been running a heavily modded Trash Slash 2wd. (LCG Chassis, VXL Motor/ESC, Savox TG Servo .07 speed. I have it pretty dialed in and have had great success. Very consistent lap times, and typically finish in the top 5 out of 16 drivers. I see a lot of guys running Losi, and Team Associated at the track. I picked up a couple and looked at them and they feel much, much lighter.

My question is should I upgrade my motor to a sensor-ed and something more powerful or would I be better off going to a different frame / platform. If I were to do this I would stick with Team Associated as I have a B5m currently and my local tracks stock all the parts for them.

I wanted to get thoughts from others who may have been in the same situation. I'm a little over 4 months into the hobby and race 2 times a week at the same track and occasionally at another tracks as time permits. Thanks for all your help
So I know I've had great discussions with you on several other threads before. You have certainly learned a lot from the path you've taken. At this point, I would really recommend that you get a race kit. Go with the Associated if you're comfortable with them. You absolutely should also go with a sensored motor and esc: they are much smoother at low rpm and have a smoother braking feel. Get a Hobbywing, Tekin, whatever.

Just my advice, so take it for what it's worth. If you are racing, don't spend a penny more on a slash. Get a race kit. There is value in thinking outside the box; however, the manufacturers and pros have done a lot more experimentation and learning than we have and they offer it to you for a mere $300 in a kit. In my opinion, the smartest place is to start there and take advantage of everything they've learned for a couple decades.

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2016, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

If you are getting the max out of your car and feel that it is holding you back, time to upgrade. I would pick up a SC5M and swap all of your electronics over. However, I am assuming since you run a slash, you use full size packs. Something to consider as the SC5M will not accept full size packs. Shorty, saddle and square only. Just something else to think about.
I THINK the 22SCT 2.0 will accept full size packs.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would keep the slash as a basher/back up and build a race truck for racing. I personally like the slash. I know some rc snobs who won't give them any credit... even as a basher but it takes some much time and dialing to get to run with the higher end race trucks. Plus you can never have too many rc cars.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The proline pro 2 kit will do wonders with a lot of the parts you already own. Maybe an option to look at.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the tips and info guys. I appreciate all the help! I was leaning to the SC5M because of the familiarity with the B5M. I did notice the battery tray was different but no biggie. The Losi I looked at as well but my fear was that it would be soon replaced as the platform was a couple years old already. I know the SC5M has been around awhile and with the B6 coming out there may be a SC6M at sometime too? Has anyone heard anything about new versions of either coming out? Losi or AE?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks for all the tips and info guys. I appreciate all the help! I was leaning to the SC5M because of the familiarity with the B5M. I did notice the battery tray was different but no biggie. The Losi I looked at as well but my fear was that it would be soon replaced as the platform was a couple years old already. I know the SC5M has been around awhile and with the B6 coming out there may be a SC6M at sometime too? Has anyone heard anything about new versions of either coming out? Losi or AE?
You can bet that both will have a new platform to match the buggy. The great thing about Losi and associated is that parts for older platforms will be around for awhile.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Callaway
You absolutely should also go with a sensored motor and esc: they are much smoother at low rpm and have a smoother braking feel. Get a Hobbywing, Tekin, whatever.
+1. One additional word of advice...Since many drivers prefer the 3-gear conversion for the SC5M, if you do go sensored, make sure the ESC has the ability to reverse motor rotation so that your timing curves won't be reversed. The kit comes as a 4-gear, but plan ahead so you always have the option. I really like the Tekin Gen 2 ESCs, since they can be tuned with an android device.

Last edited by bubbaslash; 10-31-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Zinergy
I would keep the slash as a basher/back up and build a race truck for racing. I personally like the slash. I know some rc snobs who won't give them any credit... even as a basher but it takes some much time and dialing to get to run with the higher end race trucks. Plus you can never have too many rc cars.
A backup is always a good idea. I took my son to the season finale at an outdoor track over the weekend. The water had been shut off for the season to avoid freezing, and the track was pure dust. Also, it was VERY windy. He ended up running my Sleeper Slash instead of his mid motor. A heavier truck with rear motor ended up being a better choice for the conditions. His mid motor truck will be back at it this weekend at an indoor clay track.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bubbaslash
+1. One additional word of advice...Since many drivers prefer the 3-gear conversion for the SC5M, if you do go sensored, make sure the ESC has the ability to reverse motor rotation so that your timing curves won't be reversed. The kit comes as a 4-gear, but plan ahead so you always have the option.
AE 4 gear and 3 gear mid motor configurations BOTH run the same motor direction. There's no need to for an ESC that can reverse motor rotation. To add, I can't think of any current platform that requires reversing the standard motor rotation.

Where do you get your info from?
Old 10-31-2016, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Everyone! Without turning this into an AE vs Losi thread, any major advantages of either over the other?
Old 10-31-2016, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Everyone! Without turning this into an AE vs Losi thread, any major advantages of either over the other?
All depends on parts support. SC5M is "newer" than the losi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.