Search

XB8E vs MBX7R Eco

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Questions?? XB8E vs MBX7R Eco

Which one would you get and why?
Looking at one or the other, they seem somewhat similar (pillow balls, etc).

Things I don't know about:
-Motor mount
-Lipo/ESC fitting
-Durability
-Handling in general terms. I have a EB48 and a Tekno D8 for comparison.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

just pick whatever one you like. both buggies are fantastic!p probably the best 2 on the market. honestly follow your gut on this one and thats the only way you'll truly be happy.

i have the XRAY but if I didn't run XRAY for 1/10 cars I would have considered the mugen.

- XRAY is more durable
- XRAY is a tad more tunable and responsive to tuning - little harder to setup needs to be tweaked for different tracks.
- XRAY is easier to work on, less screws to get diffs out etc, but Mugen is a close second
- XRAY has a bit less support and local help
- XRAY has that bling factor, theyre just awesome
- XRAY likes and needs to be maintained (all cars do but, XRAYS are expensive so please do this)

- Mugen is less expensive to maintain (but still a tad expensive in its own)
- Mugen is a little easier to setup and go - dont need to tweak as much, similar - to kyosho in that regard but more responsive than kyosho
- Mugen has so much support, setups, parts, etc
- Mugen is a car you literally just can't go wrong with IDC who you are, XRAY isb't for everyone with the prices, the maintenance and the adjustability.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

If you are excellent at tuning a car, get the Xray.
If you stink at setup, get the Mugen.

You should also consider the Kyosho and HB cars.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 09-09-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lyons238
just pick whatever one you like. both buggies are fantastic!p probably the best 2 on the market. honestly follow your gut on this one and thats the only way you'll truly be happy.

i have the XRAY but if I didn't run XRAY for 1/10 cars I would have considered the mugen.

- XRAY is more durable
- XRAY is a tad more tunable and responsive to tuning - little harder to setup needs to be tweaked for different tracks.
- XRAY is easier to work on, less screws to get diffs out etc, but Mugen is a close second
- XRAY has a bit less support and local help
- XRAY has that bling factor, theyre just awesome
- XRAY likes and needs to be maintained (all cars do but, XRAYS are expensive so please do this)

- Mugen is less expensive to maintain (but still a tad expensive in its own)
- Mugen is a little easier to setup and go - dont need to tweak as much, similar - to kyosho in that regard but more responsive than kyosho
- Mugen has so much support, setups, parts, etc
- Mugen is a car you literally just can't go wrong with IDC who you are, XRAY isb't for everyone with the prices, the maintenance and the adjustability.
good sum up ! I prefer the mbx7r eco because of the price and the price of parts ! but I did put xray arms on it !
+ adam drake is a champ with the mbx7 !

I think lipo tray and motor mount are quiet identical on both.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback.

I wanted to get a MS or Xray as "something different" knowing both are very high quality and I have never had anything from either company.

Does the Kyosho in any way justify the cost difference?
Mugen = $490
Xray = $530
Kyosho = $610
Old 09-09-2016, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

I also don't get why kyosho is so expensive ! + they use philips screws !
I bought a few kyosho parts and they were actually quite bad ! for example : a psycho kruiser universal joint bent and broke !
Old 09-10-2016, 12:56 AM
Tech Elite

oh one more thing :
the mugen has much more upgrade parts from other brands than the xray ( proline bodies, M2c chassis, DE racing bumper .. )

and one thing bother me with xray : confusing models name and upgrades on the same model ! that lead to confusing referencing of parts !
I had already some troubles finding the right part !
Old 09-10-2016, 01:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by werner sline
I also don't get why kyosho is so expensive ! + they use philips screws !
I bought a few kyosho parts and they were actually quite bad ! for example : a psycho kruiser universal joint bent and broke !
There are no phillips head screws on the MP9E and once you drive one you'll realise it's worth every cent.

All the current crop of 1/8 buggies are great. Pick one you like the look of and can get parts for.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by werner sline
and one thing bother me with xray : confusing models name and upgrades on the same model ! that lead to confusing referencing of parts !
I had already some troubles finding the right part !

You can download the manual from their website.

Every single part in the manual has a part number listed at least 3 times. You just type the part number into Amains search engine and viola. Cake. Every bearing and bolt has it's dimensions listed as well, so it's easy to figure out what you need for a rebuild, once you have the manual.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

yeah of course, you could DL the user manual. by the way Xray have very good manuals. but I have this used xt8 that I converted to brushless and I had trouble finding the exact model ...
Old 09-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

The mugens work well, seem to be something mentioned always as a go to vehicle to start out with. That said, I wonder if a new one is on the way?

If I went with one of the ones you listed, I probably would have gone with the mugen due to others at the track having one and the cost of stuff from xray. Also, the xray is pretty new, so if they follow what appears to be there yearly model at least for other vehicles, I would probably want to see what the next revision has especially to correct any issues the car has new. And, considering the cost, I would want anything that has an issue to be corrected with xray parts, not having to put someone elses stuff on. Spending luxury money should mean the parts are better than what the other guys use that is cheaper.

Outside of those vehicles, having a chance to watch and drive one, I was really impressed with the Sworkz S35-2E vehicle or whatever its called. Really seemed to handle well and took a beating. The owner had lots of Kyosho stuff and was really happy with his Sworkz stuff, especially how it seems to wear (he has other vehicles from Sworkz with more time) in comparison to similar Kyosho stuff.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

can I add some xray bashing ? I'm convinced xray likes to makes some bling bling technology only for the purpose of selling. They put some nice pictures and explanations and they sell you their newest modifications. They do that too often !
Old 09-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

I switch from Mugen to Xray. With the Mugen, you will probably want to keep parts on hand. The Xray really doesn't break and most hobby shops keep parts, so I don't worry about going to a race with no parts for my Xray. I would not risk it with a Mugen. Yes.. Xray parts are expensive and so is the kit. However, I can honestly say, the quality is 2nd to none.

Xray has running changes. Most of the time you can just upgrade the parts, if you feel the need to. Having said that, there are major differences from the 2015 to the 2016. So if you like to always have the latest and greatest, plan on spending some $$$ with Xray.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

The fast XRAY guys here put the old front end on the buggy to make it work. The Mugen needs nothing and works very well. Mugen would be my choice.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yes since XRAY updates every year you will find yourself spending some coin IF and ONLY IF you decide to upgrade or cannot resist the temptation but honestly once you get setup with the XRAY with the main wear parts like pins and extra hardware etc, theyre not as costly. Initially they are costly but it all comes full circle.

Also with the XB8 I've found no need to look at anything aftermarket, XRAY's own option parts are the highest of quality, more high quality than any aftermarket company.

But again can't go wrong with either car!!!!

I just love XRAY!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.