Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Novices: How many sets of tires do you have for 1 vehicle? >

Novices: How many sets of tires do you have for 1 vehicle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novices: How many sets of tires do you have for 1 vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rideswings
Ive been into RC cars for around 10 years, but I still consider myself a rookie and a novice because there are volumes of setup techniques I still dont know and probably never will.

I have only raced a few times at my clay high-traction local track and I have my SC5M dialed into it and it handles well. I use slicks and they give me plenty of traction. A friend asked me to go to a different track to race for a day, and he said the track would be softer with alot more loose dirt than I am used to, so the night before, I changed all 4 tires to some new dirt webs that I had laying around. During the race the next day I had little traction, and came in dead last. It seems like everyone else was using different types of pin tires.

I asked the track owner after the race what he recommends, and he was helpful in suggesting 2 or 3 different pinned tires that I could use for more traction. Since Im not sure how often I will be going to this track, Im not sure I want to go and spend close to $80 for one set or $160 or $240 for 2 or 3 sets of tires not knowing if they are going to help me get faster.

I realized that it must be really hard on people who go to race at various tracks, they must have to bring 2, 3 or 4 sets of tires depending on the conditions. I saw that one guy at the track probably had 4 or 6 sets of tires in his pit bag. Thats close to $500 in tires alone.

I guess this brings me back to my original question. How many sets of tires do you have for you vehicle if you are a novice and go to different tracks? Do you have tires that you bought for a track and they didnt work out and are just sitting on a shelf in your garage or do you just go and sell them after trying them?
Novice or not, if you're going to travel to different tracks you'll need at least ONE set of tires that's suited for those track conditions. In general a certain "type" of tire will at least be OK. You normally race at a track that runs slicks, you also have a set of Dirt Webs (bar style tire) and found they don't work well at a track that runs a smaller pin style tire. If you're only going to race at that track on a limited basis, buy the most popular tire for that track.

Don't invest in a ton of tires just for "tuning" at a track you're not going to race at very often. IMO
Old 04-08-2016, 12:48 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default treads to slicks

What's the best way to convert the dusted treaded tires to slicks?Any specific sauce (liquid wrench, WD 40, etc.)? I've noticed my ghosted electrons seem a little stiff or dry and haven't had any success. thx.

Thanks for the advice. I will take a look at the impacts.

I did the same thing you did with treaded tires, used them until they became slicks, and then ran them on my clay track like that. I did that until I bought my first new set of slicks and the new slicks ran so much better than the old worn out treaded tire. I keep the old worn out ones as backup if something happens to the new slicks.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:02 PM
Tech Rookie

I am a novice as well and appreciate all of this insight!

Thanks!

JS
Old 04-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Im kind of a tire whore... I seem to always be buying tires and most all of the tracks that we race around us use gold dirt webs so when I can find them I will buy 15/20 pair of rear and about 10 sets of fronts, mixed in with other types of tires on a smaller scale.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the advice. I will take a look at the impacts.

I did the same thing you did with treaded tires, used them until they became slicks, and then ran them on my clay track like that. I did that until I bought my first new set of slicks and the new slicks ran so much better than the old worn out treaded tire. I keep the old worn out ones as backup if something happens to the new slicks.
Just running them down to slick isn't the same as running them to ghosts then sanding them. Sanding them is world of difference, and you have to sauce them afterwards.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:23 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

used can be your friend. much cheaper option.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littleZEN
Tires are probably 80-90% of the setup equation. No amount of set-up changes will help if you don't have the right tires for the track. To make matters worst track conditions are always changing even from one hour to the next. That's why you see drivers with hundreds of dollars in tires because having the right tires are the single most important setup change.

With that said, just borrow your buddies set of tires to try them out. Or even ask around. If you think you'll only use the tires a handful of times then you can just buy a used set on here or from the locals.
This is great advice thank you. If they are 80-90% of the setup equation, then maybe I'll bite the bullet and invest in some more tires.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

This is great advice thank you. If they are 80-90% of the setup equation, then maybe I'll bite the bullet and invest in some more tires.
There's is no "if", they ARE 90% of any setup. But they're also the most expensive. Most guys that have a pit bag full of tires have acquired them over a period of time. They didn't just go out and buy them all at once. And for many, they have tires in that bag that they will never use.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by racer1812
There's is no "if", they ARE 90% of any setup. But they're also the most expensive. Most guys that have a pit bag full of tires have acquired them over a period of time. They didn't just go out and buy them all at once. And for many, they have tires in that bag that they will never use.
Thanks for the info. Is it normal for a driver to start with a set of tires for the day, and then change them if he doesnt like the way the car is driving? And then change them again to a different set if the track condition changes?
Old 04-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got back into rc cars, I've been practicing on one track.Indoor clay. I have three sets of tires. Two microns and one set of slicks.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info. Is it normal for a driver to start with a set of tires for the day, and then change them if he doesnt like the way the car is driving? And then change them again to a different set if the track condition changes?
People change tires all the time, for multiple reasons. The guy with a bag full of tires is likely looking for something a LITTLE better than what he's currently running. He's already running a tire that's really close to perfect and is looking to find something better. The fast guys don't stop tuning/looking for speed..ever.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
People change tires all the time, for multiple reasons. The guy with a bag full of tires is likely looking for something a LITTLE better than what he's currently running. He's already running a tire that's really close to perfect and is looking to find something better. The fast guys don't stop tuning/looking for speed..ever.
Isn't that the truth!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

2wd buggy: unknown, probably over 20
4wd buggy: 5 or 6
Stadium Truck: about 10
2 and 4wd SCT probably 15 between the 2 AE
4wd Durango SCT 3 sets
1/8 buggy: 12 or so
1/8 truggy: around 6
Touring car: 7 I think
1/12 pan car: 30 or more (got a great deal on a bunch of tires)

Those are guesstimates on the numbers of complete sets (4) of tires I have for each one.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy
2wd buggy: unknown, probably over 20
4wd buggy: 5 or 6
Stadium Truck: about 10
2 and 4wd SCT probably 15 between the 2 AE
4wd Durango SCT 3 sets
1/8 buggy: 12 or so
1/8 truggy: around 6
Touring car: 7 I think
1/12 pan car: 30 or more (got a great deal on a bunch of tires)

Those are guesstimates on the numbers of complete sets (4) of tires I have for each one.
thanks for the reply, do you ever get to a track and still have to buy new tires because your car just isnt handling well with the tires you brought or do you just not push the car as hard?

i tell my friend that im like tom cruise in days of thunder. i know the car isnt driving well but i dont know how to fix it or even how to explain to him what its doing.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ive been into RC cars for around 10 years, but I still consider myself a rookie and a novice because there are volumes of setup techniques I still dont know and probably never will.

I have only raced a few times at my clay high-traction local track and I have my SC5M dialed into it and it handles well. I use slicks and they give me plenty of traction. A friend asked me to go to a different track to race for a day, and he said the track would be softer with alot more loose dirt than I am used to, so the night before, I changed all 4 tires to some new dirt webs that I had laying around. During the race the next day I had little traction, and came in dead last. It seems like everyone else was using different types of pin tires.

I asked the track owner after the race what he recommends, and he was helpful in suggesting 2 or 3 different pinned tires that I could use for more traction. Since Im not sure how often I will be going to this track, Im not sure I want to go and spend close to $80 for one set or $160 or $240 for 2 or 3 sets of tires not knowing if they are going to help me get faster.

I realized that it must be really hard on people who go to race at various tracks, they must have to bring 2, 3 or 4 sets of tires depending on the conditions. I saw that one guy at the track probably had 4 or 6 sets of tires in his pit bag. Thats close to $500 in tires alone.

I guess this brings me back to my original question. How many sets of tires do you have for you vehicle if you are a novice and go to different tracks? Do you have tires that you bought for a track and they didnt work out and are just sitting on a shelf in your garage or do you just go and sell them after trying them?
Before going to a track unknown I will contact the owner and ask what tire is popular. Then try and contact local racers via forum. Also if it is a popular track such as OCRC I will check the pros setup or contact via Facebook.

That being said I know I have at least 3 sets for each car for each track. Some I only use once a year but I have them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.