Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Problems charging lipos >

Problems charging lipos

Problems charging lipos

Old 02-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Problems charging lipos

I'm just got a few new lipos (below) and I'm am having some issues charging them.. it am using the ascend radiant charger and it have charged lipos with no problems with it. But with these two battery's they just won't fully charge.. they charge for about a half hour and then it will say they are done.. when really they only have about 1000-2000mah in them. They last about 5mins max II have been looking all around the internet and have not found anything. If you know how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. (Also i am charging them at 1c)

Batteries:
Venom 5000mah 2s 40c lipo
Venom 5400mah 3s 20c lipo

Charger:
Ascend radiant
Old 02-08-2016, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nathan2 View Post
I'm just got a few new lipos (below) and I'm am having some issues charging them.. it am using the ascend radiant charger and it have charged lipos with no problems with it. But with these two battery's they just won't fully charge.. they charge for about a half hour and then it will say they are done.. when really they only have about 1000-2000mah in them. They last about 5mins max II have been looking all around the internet and have not found anything. If you know how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. (Also i am charging them at 1c)

Batteries:
Venom 5000mah 2s 40c lipo
Venom 5400mah 3s 20c lipo

Charger:
Ascend radiant
Recently I've had trouble with 2 different high end chargers that sounds similar to your issue, where the chargers would give me a false peak only minutes after trying to charge batteries that were just used during a 5 minute qualifier.

All of my batteries have bullet ports in the hard case like your Venom batteries. I was using the supplied charging jacks with bullets on one end and female deans plugs on the other connected to a similar charging jack coming out of the charger with a male deans. I had put all new bullets and deans connectors on my charging leads, but I was still getting these strange false peaks. I even changed to a new charger because I thought something was wrong with my first charger, only to find the 2nd charger did the same thing.

I had a buddy tell me to use Alligator plugs to connect inside the battery bullet ports. I was skeptical, thinking that alligator clips make less of a contact patch to the port than an actual bullet does. I can't explain it, but the alligator connectors solved my problem. I've seen two other racing buddies go through the same issue at our track and the alligator plugs fixed their issue too.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Wease View Post
Recently I've had trouble with 2 different high end chargers that sounds similar to your issue, where the chargers would give me a false peak only minutes after trying to charge batteries that were just used during a 5 minute qualifier.

All of my batteries have bullet ports in the hard case like your Venom batteries. I was using the supplied charging jacks with bullets on one end and female deans plugs on the other connected to a similar charging jack coming out of the charger with a male deans. I had put all new bullets and deans connectors on my charging leads, but I was still getting these strange false peaks. I even changed to a new charger because I thought something was wrong with my first charger, only to find the 2nd charger did the same thing.

I had a buddy tell me to use Alligator plugs to connect inside the battery bullet ports. I was skeptical, thinking that alligator clips make less of a contact patch to the port than an actual bullet does. I can't explain it, but the alligator connectors solved my problem. I've seen two other racing buddies go through the 5217.jpg[/IMG]
Neither of my batteries have bullet ports. The 2s is a hard cover but does not have bullet ports and the 3s is a solf cover with no bullet ports
Old 02-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Wease View Post

I had a buddy tell me to use Alligator plugs to connect inside the battery bullet ports. I was skeptical, thinking that alligator clips make less of a contact patch to the port than an actual bullet does. I can't explain it, but the alligator connectors solved my problem. I've seen two other racing buddies go through the same issue at our track and the alligator plugs fixed their issue too.
Here are the links to the batteries:
2s: amazon/Venom-5000mAh-Battery-Approved-Universal/dp/B004YNQX6E

3s: amazon/Venom-5400mAh-Battery-Universal-Traxxas/dp/B000W7PZU6/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1455041495&sr=1-1&keywords=venom+3s+5400mah

((add .com to the end of the amazon, I am not allowed to put links))
Old 02-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Are you balance charging? What are the individual cell voltages when the charger says the pack is full?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i've noticed the same thing....i just changed from using the deans plugs to direct plug.

subscribed
Old 02-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FastTurtle View Post
i've noticed the same thing....i just changed from using the deans plugs to direct plug.

subscribed
Which charger are you using?
Old 02-10-2016, 02:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MX304 View Post
Which charger are you using?
Hitec X1, brand new...about 5-6 charges on it...

Currently charging another battery... been on for 42 minutes 8.16V 3298mah and counting...

Battery is a shorty, 2cell 460mah (has about 5-7 charges on it.)
Old 02-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FastTurtle View Post
Hitec X1, brand new...about 5-6 charges on it...

Currently charging another battery... been on for 42 minutes 8.16V 3298mah and counting...

Battery is a shorty, 2cell 460mah (has about 5-7 charges on it.)
Those Hitec chargers take FOREVER to balance a pack. At 1C my good 4s packs would take an hour or more to charge.