Wiki Posts
Search

New TD Stadium Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyper7driver
And then go look at all the weights people are using at the rear of their ST's to gain what is it now? Oh yeah, rear traction!

And my DESC210 is the only MM vehicle I have that I haven't had to add weight to the rear to make it grip.
Dude, it's 2016. Who is adding weight to a stadium truck? Nobody I know is doing that spare maybe a few T4's that are left out there... On my T5m I literally have added only the brass forward rear hangar for a touch more forward bite and really not needed I just had a few $$$ burning a hole in my pocket. Was kickin butt without the weight fore sure!

If anything your statement is backwards. I had to add a TON of weight to the rear of my DESC210 to get any traction at all out of it. The thing was undriveable until I put a ball diff in it and even then it was borderline at best!

My local track has plenty of traction as we run electrons and dirtwebs for the most part.

I can't be quite sure you're trolling or are just a TD fanboy?
Old 02-11-2016, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
Dude, it's 2016. Who is adding weight to a stadium truck? Nobody I know is doing that spare maybe a few T4's that are left out there... On my T5m I literally have added only the brass forward rear hangar for a touch more forward bite and really not needed I just had a few $$$ burning a hole in my pocket. Was kickin butt without the weight fore sure!

If anything your statement is backwards. I had to add a TON of weight to the rear of my DESC210 to get any traction at all out of it. The thing was undriveable until I put a ball diff in it and even then it was borderline at best!

My local track has plenty of traction as we run electrons and dirtwebs for the most part.

I was running a +35g brass weight in the rear of my 22t 2.0, tons of people run it. Jason Snyder recommends it as well.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...334018/p403578
Old 02-12-2016, 03:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mvrk28
I was running a +35g brass weight in the rear of my 22t 2.0, tons of people run it. Jason Snyder recommends it as well.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...334018/p403578
Ok I will give that to you. The 2.0 isn't the newest platform though is it not?
The Associated trucks are pretty good right out of the box. If there's a 3.0 22T I would expect not needing all that weight.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26

I am not a fanboy, and you just admitted to adding weight to yours. Whether it be brass or whatever, most everyone is adding weights somewhere, to the point there is a market for manufactured parts made of heavy metals. Mostly in the rear for more forward bite.

I am done, and you need to chill out.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

If you have to add weight to the rear of a mid motor, you should just run it as a rear motor. It doesn't matter what anyone else runs. A rear motor that hooks up will always be faster than a mid motor that doesn't.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyper7driver
If TD releases an ST based on their V3 buggy, it will dominate. They are the only company addressing the issue with rear traction people are having in MM configurations.

They have moved the motor closer to the rear axle, and mounted the shocks to the front of the rear arms. The MM helps give the weight bias you need, and the portion of the truck/buggy behind the shocks will help plant the rear in straight line acceleration. The MM weight bias will still give you the steering and front end stability you need.

Losi has moved their motor the furthest forward from the rear axle, and hung the the shocks at the rear. And they are having to add brass or lead weights to get it to hook in MM, or build it in RM.

Kyosho. Has hugged a little closer to the rear axle, but have hung the rear shocks all the way to the rear.

AE has moved the rear shocks to the inside of the tower, giving it some reward weight on them, but still mounted them to the rear of the rear arms. Motor still closer to the rear axle than Losi, but also a sideways battery that helps shift weight for more forward bite.
Shocks on the front of the rear arm takes away rear traction not add it. That's why alot of the guys who run on carpet run the shocks on front of the arm.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fredswain
If you have to add weight to the rear of a mid motor, you should just run it as a rear motor. It doesn't matter what anyone else runs. A rear motor that hooks up will always be faster than a mid motor that doesn't.
Well said Fred. I bounce back and forth between a mm car and a rm car. Need more rear bite for this new layout??? I go RM. Big sweeper on this new layout??? I go MM. It cracks me up to see people argue like this. Point is, TD has a great buggy, as does AE and TLR along with some of the others. ST is a tough class, it comes on and dies off routinely. This is why a mfg struggles with the decision to make a new model or not. Remember, these companies want to make money, not just supply everyone with the new/old fresh idea. If ST had a powerful presence, the decision would be easy. Evolution Sports in Redlands CA has a DEST kit on the shelf still. Somebody grab it!
Old 02-13-2016, 07:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by fredswain

I can't agree more.

This is not me racing, I don't have a video running my 22T right now, but for those who disagree with us, I'd like to see how many of these "experts" run low 15 second laps on this layout with their ST. This guy was running low to mid 16's.....

....https://www.facebook.com/TheSpeedRC/...9085296797590/
Old 02-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

in all fairness, the TD dex210v3 isn't that much different than the dex210v2. looks like the primary change is to allow the usage of 12mm hexes and some more position changes to the mount point of the axle to the bone, from what I can tell. They pretty much threw the parts in for the "V3" into the "V2" boxes.

Now that said, does that means its a bad car, etc? Nope. Can it be evolved more? Yup!

And from what I am seeing, the team drivers left appear to be running the shorty sideways by modifying the side pods. This is something I think that durango could release in short order pretty easily if they decide to make the molds and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg in comparison to what the side pods cost now ( about $11).

I never recall traction issues when using the vehicle on loose dirt in RM configuration, and when I lent another driver the MM version on the same track, with a more powerful motor I believe, he really liked it enough he bought one.

All that said, I wonder if more effort was devoted to the dex210F than the v3 and for some reason they overlooked the shorty sideways change.

And finally, more to the topic, yeah not sure if they will make an ST. If they are not seeing the market for it, would be tough. However if they did, I hope it would include:

- compatibility for other brands wheels
- sideways shorty lipo option
- stronger a-arms
- chassis similar to dex210v3

That would probably be the easiest place to start.