Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

"High traction" clay

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

I do enjoy carpet but there are just these little bumps and deformities in clay that you can't replicate with carpet
Old 02-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I hope this doesn't turn into another I hate or wont run on carpet/astro thread...
Old 02-04-2016, 02:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529
Another thing to remember is compounds and foams have changed a lot over the years. We used to run on open-cell foams on everything back then. which is equivalent to running lower tire pressure. It's great for forward bite, but you lose the corner stability CC foams offer.
Indoor/clay tire compounds really haven't changed in 20 years. There are new brands but I haven't used anything that works any better than Losi Pink, which was the "original" clay compound and what they're all based on. We ran Bomb 1 inserts which when new work every bit as well as CC foam, just didn't last quite as long.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With some tracks getting to the point where slicks work, why not run foam tires? We ran foam tire dirt oval on hard pack clay and it worked great.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
With some tracks getting to the point where slicks work, why not run foam tires? We ran foam tire dirt oval on hard pack clay and it worked great.
There is a local club in my city that runs carpet off road on foam and it sounds like they're having good success with it in terms of tire life and cost.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avaldes
DirtGlue has a pretty interesting website. Sounds like a cool product.
I run at the same track as symmetricon and dirt glue has been a game changer for sure. Before dirt glue the track ate tires.

We put dirt glue through the ultimate test. 5 months one layout, no water, groove is the complete width of the lane, little to no dust, little to no sweeping, from the start to 5 months later slicks work. The only thing we really play with is whose slicks work best which is usually dependent on the temperature. Occasionally the track was resprayed as needed but only a light spraying is needed and takes less than a hour to dry.

Honestly its been the best surface I have ever raced for hard packed clay.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

How much does the dirt glue cost?
Old 02-05-2016, 01:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
There is a local club in my city that runs carpet off road on foam and it sounds like they're having good success with it in terms of tire life and cost.
For carpet or astro mini pins or mini spikes work great and are cheap. That is far and away my favourite thing about those surfaces, the "tire game" just does not exist and you get much more life out of tires. Outdoor astro surfaces tend to be very bumpy.

Plus no sweeping between rounds lol.

But clay was fun too! I do miss it on occasion.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

that's a load of BS if i ever saw one.

sometimes on astro people use a new set EVERY run.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fivepointnine
For carpet or astro mini pins or mini spikes work great and are cheap. That is far and away my favourite thing about those surfaces, the "tire game" just does not exist and you get much more life out of tires. Outdoor astro surfaces tend to be very bumpy.

Plus no sweeping between rounds lol.

But clay was fun too! I do miss it on occasion.
I agree. I ran on a carpet track a few times and I loved how you knew going in exactly what was going to work without having to blow a month's salary on tires, and that you didn't have to add any nasty chemicals to the tire to make it work. And those tires would last a good long time as well.

It changes the game from who can drive the best and spend the most on tires to just who can drive the best.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
that's a load of BS if i ever saw one.

sometimes on astro people use a new set EVERY run.
I run Astro every weekend here in the UK. I can get two full race days and a couple practice days out of a set of yellow mini spikes, about two and a half out of mini pins, and the LP cut staggers on the front last forever it seems like. I will start off each regional with a new set, but those will last the full weekend.

For the Ballistic greens (wet weather) I can get 3 full race days and some practice days out of them on my 4wd.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
How much does the dirt glue cost?
855$ for 55 gallons... we have only ordered one barrel of the stuff and it has lasted over 6 months.

here is a vid of the track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHm...layer_embedded
Old 02-05-2016, 05:51 AM
Tech Regular

I can vouch for the dirt glue treatment. I've raced at y'alls track and I was amazed by the grip level.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Once your track is smooth and your running slicks it's no longer offroad. Bring back true offroad racing and watch the hobby blow up..
lavazhole likes this.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

not gonna happen, these days offroad cars aren't allowed to get dirty in the general public's opinion. pisses me off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.